Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 10:24 AM

2,047 posts, read 1,661,124 times

Advertisements

I was pretty leery of getting a sleep test done because it seemed like they all come to the same conclusion - you need to buy expensive gear from them.

However, on a camping trip I was sleeping in close quarters with a friend. In the morning he said, "dude, you stop breathing in your sleep - a lot!"

So, I went to the doctor and got the gear for an at home sleep test. I never thought one in a clinic would be valid as I don't sleep much in strange settings (usually hotels) for the first night or two. Anyway, when the results came back, during an 8 hour sleep period, I stopped breathing for an average of 23 seconds 576 times! After hearing that, I remarked to the doctor that I was surprised I wake up alive.

I now use an APAP machine, like CPAP but smarter on adjusting the pressure to your breathing. It does take a while to adjust to wearing the mask and a few times I just ripped it off because it was preventing me from falling asleep. But I stuck with it and now that I am used to it, it is doing the intended job of allowing me to get much better sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 10:49 AM

7,814 posts, read 3,817,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
I think this is just gonna be another one of these modern era, American diet and lifestyle diseases that people are getting.
I agree. That's why I bought Resmed over 20 years ago. Resmed (in black) has performed well compared to the S&P 500 (in purple), although the past two years have been rocky.

The jury is out on semiglutide & its impact on sleep apnea, although the recent press release was promising.

Old 04-23-2024, 11:36 AM

2,044 posts, read 856,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I actually do not know anyone who took a sleep test and passed it. Maybe you "catch" apnea from the test? I am on my 3rd CPAP machine so that is about 20 years' worth of sleeping without snoring. If I fall asleep now, I will immediately wake up if I start to snore. My wife benefited from the CPAP because of that.

My dad was world-class snorer and did not have a CPAP. He suffered a stroke in his sleep that he survived but was paralyzed on his right side after that. I don't know if his apnea caused the stroke. He had normal blood pressure so that was not the cause.

I have a friend who had apnea but underwent a surgical procedure to remove part of his soft palate. He seems cured after that. I actually don't mind the CPAP but I don't use the full-face mask -- only the nose pillow mask.

Back in the olden days no one had apnea because they didn't have CPAP machines.
Figured I would post a follow up here of sorts. Well, I made up my mind. I was going to force myself to keep this mouthpiece in over the last couple of nights. I have my handy-dandy iPhone recorder going, which is very sensitive and could pick up even the sound of very smooth, quiet breathing. I’ve also been using Flonase for the past two weeks and I think it’s finally kicked in because my sinuses seem to be opening up where I can actually breathe through them. Which is something I haven’t been able to do. Last night I was in the sack for a total of nine hours. I kept the mouthpiece in for six of those nine hours. On my recorder you could not hear a sound. Nice smooth breathing when I had that mouthpiece in. A couple of times I started a little baby snore, but then it stopped. The three hours that I had the mouthpiece taken out? I went right back to suffocating myself. Needless to say I will be forcing myself to use this mouthpiece as much as possible. With the six hours of sleep, I managed to get last night. I feel 100% more energized today. Quite amazing. But it got me thinking how many of you might be able to get by with just one of these mouthpieces. They do have their drawbacks. I wake up with my lips chapped and my mouth dry and you want to just get the thing out of your mouth. But overall it’s tolerable especially after you’ve been using it for a while. First few nights, I used it. It definitely felt like it was moving my teeth, and my jaw was a little sore, but that seems to be going away. so I may have found a remedy for this after all. At least somewhat or a partial remedy.

Old 04-23-2024, 11:58 AM

2,044 posts, read 856,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I agree. That's why I bought Resmed over 20 years ago. Resmed (in black) has performed well compared to the S&P 500 (in purple), although the past two years have been rocky.

The jury is out on semiglutide & its impact on sleep apnea, although the recent press release was promising.
I think it was Phillips that got sued for like $500 million recently. You might want to look into that because you know how the lawyers are once they get their teeth into something. They’re going after the CPAP companies. Saying that their devices can cause lung cancer into other things. Basically the same stuff smoking caused. They were able to prove it to a jury and got a $500 million settlement against Phillips.

Old 04-23-2024, 12:14 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
It is fake. There is no evidence that this "fake" thing directly leads to bad results. They are just taking a population with these bad results already and "associating it" with their made up disease.

Old 04-23-2024, 01:22 PM

7,814 posts, read 3,817,548 times
Popular Weight Loss and Diabetes Drugs (GLP-1 Receptor Agonists) May Also Help Alleviate Sleep Apnea Symptoms

https://www.health.com/ozempic-sleep-apnea-8410283

Quote:
Tirzepatide, better known as Zepbound or Mounjaro, may be able to alleviate some sleep apnea symptoms in people with obesity, according to drug maker Eli Lilly.

On Wednesday, the company released results from two clinical trials, both of which compared tirzepatide use to a placebo over the course of a year.

The first found that, for people not using positive airway pressure (PAP) therapy, tirzepatide led to about 27 fewer sleep apnea events per hour. The second—which included people using PAP therapy—found tirzepatide users had about 30 fewer sleep apnea events per hour. For comparison, participants taking the placebo in both trials saw five and six fewer sleep apnea events per hour, respectively.

Old 04-23-2024, 02:09 PM

10,752 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
We don't really know that because it is possible Doctors didn't know about sleep apnea back then. People died in their sleep but no one really knew what made them. It was I think most likely chalked up to some other medical reason like old age, congestive heart failure, heart attack in their sleep.

When someone gets a clue and has the cannula tube type to go at the base of the nostrils and blows the air into the nose like the oxygen does when under anesthesia then I will use that. Until then I am not putting that damn thing on my face ever again after what I went through. It doesn't even have to be oxygen since the device they have out now is just distilled water and air that blows into the nostrils.

I am sorry I have only ever heard of one person I know who lost weight and slept better after that she was at the time in her late 50's. Yet she has a family member much thinner than she is who has sleep apnea. I don't know but I'm noticing in my circle the people who have it are older people both thin and overweight.
I’m confused. Are you saying that a CPAP that blows air into the nose is bad, but a cannula tube blowing air into the nose is good? Do you understand why a cannula tube won’t work to alleviate obstructive sleep apnea?

Old 04-23-2024, 03:00 PM

2,047 posts, read 1,661,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Popular Weight Loss and Diabetes Drugs (GLP-1 Receptor Agonists) May Also Help Alleviate Sleep Apnea Symptoms

Sorry, I'll take my APAP machine over some drug for my sleep apnea. Using it, I went from 70-80 apneas an hour down to 2-3.

According to your quote, 27 fewer apneas an hour would still leave me with close to 50 an hour.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:33 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I'll probably be shouted down for this but I suspect that Sleep Apnea has become a revenue driver for modern medicine, much like Hysterectomies and ADHD.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:41 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,185,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I’m confused. Are you saying that a CPAP that blows air into the nose is bad, but a cannula tube blowing air into the nose is good? Do you understand why a cannula tube won’t work to alleviate obstructive sleep apnea?
Yes I think it would. When I was in the hospital wide awake I noticed the air blowing in my nose with the canula felt so good and it was the perfect amount or speed whatever you call it. The CPAP is to harsh it rushes to fast and to hard into my nose. Even that stupid mask was no help and it smelled from the distilled water that gave it a weird smell when in that device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness