Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 02:10 PM

6,602 posts, read 5,004,853 times

Advertisements

We have a years-long highway project going on, and all night I can hear backup beeping and banging - even with the window closed and AC running in the adjoining room (and I don't run the AC every night).

I want to try earplugs. I had bookmarked Loops but in reading about them it sounds like they can suction into your ears so much that they can cause a buildup of pressure. I read that about others while reading Amazon reviews as well (sounds like the foam ones don't do that as much as silicone).

Then I start reading about different sizes. Am I supposed to buy a bunch of them and try them out (tossing the ones that don't fit?). Go for a consult with an ENT and have them make some (can't imagine that's cheap!)

I am a side sleeper for the most part so they need to be comfortable enough to lay on.

Suggestions from someone who uses earplugs?

Notes: doesn't matter which room I'm in, the beeping and banging comes through
Keeping windows closed doesn't stop it
Running AC doesn't stop it
I also have an air purifier that I often run on at night and that doesn't stop it
I never thought I was a light sleeper but this has been crazy! I sleep great on the nights they aren't working

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 04-20-2024 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 02:27 PM

740 posts, read 476,263 times
I got mine at the local drug store and they are foam earplugs. They work very well, but I don’t know if they will drown out the sound of the noise you are talking about. You just have to try them out.

Old 04-20-2024, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
I got mine at the local drug store and they are foam earplugs. They work very well, but I don’t know if they will drown out the sound of the noise you are talking about. You just have to try them out.
I know I can get some at the hardware store too, at least they aren't expensive. Maybe I'll just start there and see how they work. I've resisted doing this because I don't want to block everything out but enough is enough!

Old 04-20-2024, 03:53 PM

8,510 posts, read 6,926,419 times
They clog my ears up if I use them. Windows mostly open all year as we usually don’t need AC or heat. When I sleep I use a fan to mute outside noise. Seems to work pretty well.

Old 04-20-2024, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
They clog my ears up if I use them. Windows mostly open all year as we usually don’t need AC or heat. When I sleep I use a fan to mute outside noise. Seems to work pretty well.
I heard that could be a problem too (clogging). My fan is really quiet - not sure a fan could drown out the beeping unless it was screeching or something

Old 04-20-2024, 06:13 PM

734 posts, read 608,596 times
I use Hearos. I use them almost every night because falling asleep is very challenging for me and having the room totally dark and totally silent really helps. My husband doesn't snore, but even just his rhythmic breathing can be like a dripping faucet or a ticking clock that I just can't stop hearing. Hearos are great. I'd just say, use a new pair every night, and wash your hands before you put them in your ears. Using only completely clean ones, put in with clean hands will help keep the inside of your ears from getting itchy or irritated. It is a small ongoing expense in my life, but they really work, and they're very good at blocking out noise. (I don't use an alarm to wake up in the morning anymore, but unless it was really loud and right next to me I probably wouldn't even hear it.)

Old 04-21-2024, 01:53 PM

22,675 posts, read 24,654,149 times
I have been using foam-earplugs to sleep for a very long time. It does take some getting used to, but once you adapt to them, it can be a big benefit.

I have tried all sorts, hands-down foam-earplugs seem to be the best when it comes to blocking out noise. Foam-earplugs are pretty much the only type earplug that score a 33-NRR (noise reduction rating).

Yes, you would have to experiment...........from my experience, the quality of earplugs has taken a big decline in the last 3 or 4 years, so you must try them out.

Old 04-21-2024, 03:54 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,941,564 times
I found out several years ago that my hearing comes almost completely from the bone behind the ear (both ears). That's why ear plugs never worked for me. I couldn't understand it and no one believed me. It took an audiologist to explain it to me after a hearing test.

So if you find that standard ear plugs don't work, try noise-canceling earphones. I had some for listening to music. There may specifically be some you can wear while sleeping.

I also used a "noise machine" as it was called way back when my adult children were born. They're now called ambient noise machines. You can buy something that has a few different settings and find the one that works best for you. When I had a problem sleeping during the day (nighttime job) many years ago, there were boys skateboarding outside making all kinds of noise and the wind machine worked for me. Just a couple more suggestions amongst the others here.
Good luck finding a solution!

Old 04-21-2024, 04:05 PM
Status: "I Choose Freedom Over Democracy!" (set 13 days ago)

1,345 posts, read 671,959 times
I use 3M Classic earplugs for small plane flying, motorcycling, using power equipment, etc. but not for sleeping..they work very well and you don't even notice you're wearing them..

Old 04-21-2024, 04:53 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,910,367 times
I've used cheap foam earplugs, available in the drug area of Walmart for years. You squish them flat, then stick them in, they expand to fill the space. Never had a problem. LOVE THEM!

You are way overthinking this. THey're like $4 a box. just get some and try them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness