Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2024, 07:30 AM

12,614 posts, read 9,755,384 times

Advertisements

So there is not a new study - there have been numerous studies over the years tying increased yogurt consumption to reduced risk of Type 2 diabetes. The presumed mechanism is by probiotic cultures lowering inflammation and in turn protecting against the development of insulin resistance. There is a kind of feedback loop in that inflammation promotes diabetes, and diabetes promotes inflammation. What's new is that the FDA has completed a review of related studies, and is going to allow package labeling that makes a qualified health claim to this effect.

Experts caution that this is not a "silver bullet" and to stick with low-fat, low sugar yogurt dishes.

https://www.health.com/yogurt-reduce...s-risk-8606635
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 07:37 AM

102,271 posts, read 108,324,694 times
Thanks for posting. My doctor tested me last year for inflammation markers, and said the test came back positive. I didn't know inflammation contributes to diabetes risk, and that probiotics can help mitigate that. I'll take probiotics more regularly. I have an optometrist who says, that probiotics help vision issues, too. This is according to research coming out of the UK, as I recall.

Old 05-08-2024, 07:54 AM

14,391 posts, read 11,811,422 times
I'm on board with yogurt (and other probiotic foods, such as kombucha), and also with the low sugar, but not the low fat. I don't consume reduced fat or no-fat dairy. I don't believe it's healthier--in particular, yogurt and other milk products are fortified with vitamin D3, which is much better absorbed in the presence of fat--and it certainly doesn't taste as good.

Old 05-08-2024, 04:48 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,309,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm on board with yogurt (and other probiotic foods, such as kombucha), and also with the low sugar, but not the low fat. I don't consume reduced fat or no-fat dairy. I don't believe it's healthier--in particular, yogurt and other milk products are fortified with vitamin D3, which is much better absorbed in the presence of fat--and it certainly doesn't taste as good.
I agree …. Fats ( and meat) have been blamed for what sugars/carbs have done
Sugars cause inflammation and cancer likes sugars

Old 05-11-2024, 02:08 PM

3,077 posts, read 2,068,354 times
Thanks for this information Outdoor Lover!
I am borderline with cholesterol and diabetes, doc wants to put me on meds for cholesterol but I decided to lose 15-20 lbs and see if that helps my numbers because I've been the same "borderline" for about 15 years (edit to add: was "borderline" when at normal weight back then so my weightloss idea may be dumb).

I've been eating more yogurt before seeing this post because of not wanting to eat dessert, unflavored Greek yogurt is luxury with some fruit like blueberries.

Last edited by twinkletwinkle22; 05-11-2024 at 03:29 PM..

Old 05-12-2024, 08:17 AM

22,681 posts, read 24,687,721 times
That sounds good..........but, I really wonder how many people are eating the healthy version of yogurt, the ones without all the added sugar and other unhealthy additives?

Also, yogurt varies a lot in how much natural-sugars they contain. So, for some, even the "healthy version" of yogurt may contain a whopping-dose of carbs, which may not be healthy for certain people.

Old 05-12-2024, 10:26 AM

3,084 posts, read 2,430,266 times
From the article:

Quote:
On the other hand, not all research is quite so impressive. A 2019 meta-analysis in Nutrients found that probiotic yogurt had no effects on fasting blood glucose, fasting insulin, or insulin resistance.5
Barengolts E, Smith ED, Reutrakul S, Tonucci L, Anothaisintawee T. The effect of probiotic yogurt on glycemic control in type 2 diabetes or obesity: a meta-analysis of nine randomized controlled trials. Nutrients. 2019;11(3):671. doi:10.3390/nu11030671
Randomized controlled trials can show cause and effect, unlike (most) observational studies. So this is probably the right answer, and it makes sense. Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate intolerance. Eating supermarket yogurt (which may be full of sugar) doesn't fix it. And dairy provokes insulin in some people--not good. Yes, yogurt has protein, but there's a lot more protein in a few ounces of hamburger (which doesn't have any sugar). But I don't recall anyone touting ground beef as protective against diabetes.

Some probiotics do reduce blood sugar,* but as far as I know, they're not in any commercial yogurt.

Why would observational studies show a link between yogurt and reduced diabetes? It might be that yogurt eaters eat a better diet overall, watch their weight, get annual lab tests, etc.

*In an online group I belong to, several people tried this probiotic and found it did reduce their blood sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness