Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 11:07 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,259,018 times

Advertisements

I’m inquiring about the possibility of long term use of products like Advil PM that have NSAIDs can cause GERD or other digestive issues. I don’t use Advil PM everyday, but over the past 5-7 years I’ve been taking Advil PM a few times a week, and about 3-4 days a week over the past two years or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 01:27 PM

23,438 posts, read 19,085,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I’m inquiring about the possibility of long term use of products like Advil PM that have NSAIDs can cause GERD or other digestive issues. I don’t use Advil PM everyday, but over the past 5-7 years I’ve been taking Advil PM a few times a week, and about 3-4 days a week over the past two years or so.
They certainly can. Pretty common knowledge.

Just one of many info sources:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8002800/

If GERD is an ongoing problem for you, you might want to try alternating the NSAIDs with something like Tylenol. If you use Advil PM as a sleep aid, try another OTC sleep-aid that doesn't contain the NSAID.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-30-2024 at 02:23 PM..

Old 05-01-2024, 06:20 AM

7,324 posts, read 5,211,066 times
Splitting hairs--

Our stomach lining is protected from damage by our super-strong stomach acid because we usually make enough mucus there to coat the stomach protecting it from direct contact with the acid......NSAIDS slow down the production of that mucus. They don't actually cause more acid to be secreted nor do they increase the tendency to regurgitate acid up into the esophagus.

Users of NSAIDS may notice more symptoms of excess acid-- dyspepsia or more colloquilly- "agida." Rates of actual stomach or peptic ulcers and bleeding are Increased with nsaid use.

Old 05-02-2024, 10:14 AM

743 posts, read 480,341 times
Quote:
Be careful when taking products with Ibuprofen like Advil and Motrin. I took it at the prescribed dosage for a few years and I got Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 3 from taking it almost everyday for back pain. Also Tylenol, (Acetaminophen), can harm your liver with chronic use.

Old 05-02-2024, 12:54 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,259,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
Be careful when taking products with Ibuprofen like Advil and Motrin. I took it at the prescribed dosage for a few years and I got Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 3 from taking it almost everyday for back pain. Also Tylenol, (Acetaminophen), can harm your liver with chronic use.
Oh wow! What were your symptoms?

Old 05-02-2024, 02:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,702 posts, read 81,529,753 times
I also have stage 3 kidney disease, and my Nephrologist has forbidden me from any more than a daily 81 mg aspirin at night as per my vascular surgeon. For any pain I am limited to the 500 mg Tylenol. It's definitely less effective but so far I've managed to tolerate most pain for 4 years and with no decrease in kidney function.

Old 05-05-2024, 12:47 PM

743 posts, read 480,341 times
Quote:
Oh wow! What were your symptoms?
I had no symptoms, it was discovered on a routine blood test.

Old 05-05-2024, 03:30 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,883,822 times
Quote:
I had no symptoms, it was discovered on a routine blood test.
If you get routine blood work done each year check your Creatinie and BUN (Blood Urea Nitrigen) levels as well as the BUN/Creat ratio. If those are high you need to be careful. Also be aware that dehydration can cause the levels to increase as well. GFR (glomerular filtration rate) can be an indicator as well.

I have been taking NSAIDS for year without problems, but levels before last were increased so doc told me to drink more water as well as only take the NSAIDS in the morning and Tylenol at night. Last blood work was much lower, so I suspect the dehydration was the problem. I have had back problems for many, many years and Tylenol doesn't really do it for me, but if it's that or kidney disease I can compromise.

Old 05-06-2024, 02:33 AM

7,324 posts, read 5,211,066 times
Any NSAID can cause kidney damage-- the higher the dose, the longer you take it, pre-existing conditions and older age groups all increase the risk. ...As many as 10% (!!!) of nursing home pts taking them regularly developed chronic renal disease.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8313037/

Old 05-07-2024, 04:18 AM

15,010 posts, read 12,221,540 times
Quote:
My husband was recently diagnosed with Stage 3 chronic kidney disease, and had been advised in the past to cut way back on the use of NSAIDS due to the harmful effect of these on his kidneys. He had also been taking prescription strength omeparazole, a proton pump inhibitor ( PPI) for at least 20 years for his GERD. At his first visit to the kidney doctor ( referred by his PCP), he was instructed to stop taking the PPI as it is also very bad for the kidneys. The kidney doctor instructed him to switch to famotidine ( generic for Pepsid AC) which he has done.

As I understand it, acetominophen ( tylenol) is ok as long as it's not taken in doses beyond the recommended daily limits. The person has to watch that this isn't exceeded by taking a number of products that all contain acetominophen, for example taking Extra Strength Tylenol ( 500 mg/tabs) at maximum daily doses, along with a cold or sinus remedy also containing acetominophen. The package inserts for tylenol products also cautions against heavy use in association with alcohol consumption, as both of these can have adverse additive effects on the liver over time. If a person already has some liver damage, lesser amounts of acetominophen could be harmful. How much acetominophen that could be used safely by someone under these circumstances would be a discussion between the individual and his/her health care providers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness