Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 10:00 AM

3,113 posts, read 2,022,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
The problem with ear plugs besides comfort one should be careful when sleeping because if too much pressure is put on the ear the inward pressure might affect the ear drum.

Most ear plugs are too prevent hearing damage or filter out the damage frequencies which means many noises/frequencies will get by. Also many noises have electrical energy behind them like music, sound effects, motors, back up beepers/alarms etc which means those sounds will carry farther and through more.

I have nuisance neighbors that play electronic video games and music all night and the low frequencies ie the bass type sound cut through the walls all the time. Can hear a car's boom box speakers blocks away.

I've tried putting radio on low etc, sometimes it's works but many radio stations boost their signal at night or compress or amplify commercials. I've tried tunning into nothing to create static that doesn't work.

If outside noises are the issues and one is in a house they say energy saving window help cut out outside noises.

Just be careful with ear plugs so your ear drums arenot affected.
Really good post & info. TY.

Recently, I read an article about earplugs keeping bacteria in the ear. I take everything with a grain of salt (you can find 50% pro/con articles online about any subject) & also recognize that it might affect mostly those who are more prone to ear infections & issues.

I joined late to this thread but was interested as a lifelong troubled sleeper. Fortunately, I just moved to a very small apt complex in the FL panhandle & it seems to be the quietest location on earth. I had no idea how sleep deprivation negatively affected my life as a lifelong inner-city dweller... I actually feel calm, not angry, peaceful... you can't imagine my joy.

But... I still look for methods for quiet & peaceful sleep as I often travel.

My go-to is a big box fan. Even though I don't need it here, I've tried to sleep without it & have been so dependent on it, I CANNOT fall asleep without it. I'm sure, in time, I'll learn to function without it, but for now, I need that white noise.

As an aside, when I lived in Boston, my bf at the time & I were greatly bothered by the fan... both of us heard voices at night & it made us feel insane. One night, he got up & turned on the radio... he kept turning the channel until he found the exact words I was hearing. Turns out, that if one owns a metal blade fan, it can p/u radio signals. A large, local radio station was less than 1-mi from us & the fan was picking up the station. You can google & find articles on it. Many admitted themselves to mental hospitals as they thought they were mad & it turns out, it was the metal fan blades.

I mention it as someone above said they can't sleep with earplugs as they hear their heart beat. We're such unbelievably fragile creatures, honestly. And, having disturbed sleep can so affect all of our waking hours.

As a swimmer who's used to earplugs, they're great in the pool, but as a side sleeper, I need something comfortable. And, I dont' kinow if others can relate, but as a lifetime renter who has had creepy Maintenance guys walk into every single apt, save 2, I've ever lived in, the thought of tuning out everything does make me nervous.

To that end, I just bought an in-home camera, which works great. The day I moved in & left for a bit someone came into my apt & left 2 room's lights on & the toilet seat up... I'm a girl... never been any reason I've left the toilet seat up.

Sorry for the tangent post but I do appreciate all the info in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2024, 08:13 PM

6,604 posts, read 5,006,785 times
To the last two posters - I'm a side sleeper as well and ended up just putting one earplug in, and let the pillow muffle the other side. Worked great for the construction noise!

I know what you mean about the bass, it is super annoying.

A.Typical.Girl - I feel the same about blocking everything out but I haven't blocked all noises (especially using only one). Not sure I'd do it if I lived alone though.

The worst thing in our area (not just my town either) is that if you call the police for a loud party that's going on after midnight or any other noise complaint, they will often outright lie and say there's no noise ordinance and therefor won't come check it out. Which leaves people just dealing with the noise on their own - pretty rude for the taxes we pay! IMO

Old 04-29-2024, 01:58 PM

9 posts, read 1,474 times
Quote:
We have a years-long highway project going on, and all night I can hear backup beeping and banging - even with the window closed and AC running in the adjoining room (and I don't run the AC every night).

I want to try earplugs. I had bookmarked Loops but in reading about them it sounds like they can suction into your ears so much that they can cause a buildup of pressure. I read that about others while reading Amazon reviews as well (sounds like the foam ones don't do that as much as silicone).

Then I start reading about different sizes. Am I supposed to buy a bunch of them and try them out (tossing the ones that don't fit?). Go for a consult with an ENT and have them make some (can't imagine that's cheap!)

I am a side sleeper for the most part so they need to be comfortable enough to lay on.

Suggestions from someone who uses earplugs?

Notes: doesn't matter which room I'm in, the beeping and banging comes through
Keeping windows closed doesn't stop it
Running AC doesn't stop it
I also have an air purifier that I often run on at night and that doesn't stop it
I never thought I was a light sleeper but this has been crazy! I sleep great on the nights they aren't working
Hey there, totally feel your pain! That constant beeping and banging would drive anyone crazy, especially if it's going on all night. I'm a side sleeper myself, and earplugs have been a lifesaver in some situations.

About the Loops, I hear you on the suction worry. I haven't tried those myself, but I did have some silicone ones a while back that felt way too snug and uncomfortable on my side. Foam ones were definitely gentler on my ears.

Maybe try going to a drugstore and see if they have a travel-sized pack of foam ones. They're usually pretty affordable, and you can at least get a feel for the size and softness before committing to a bigger box.

An ENT consult might be the ultimate solution for a perfect fit, but yeah, those can get pricey. Unless the noise is really affecting your sleep every night, I'd probably try the drugstore route first.

One last thing - have you considered a white noise machine? I know it might sound weird to add more noise to the situation, but sometimes a steady hum can help mask those disruptive beeps and bangs. Might be worth a shot!

Old 04-29-2024, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceHowell View Post
Hey there, totally feel your pain! That constant beeping and banging would drive anyone crazy, especially if it's going on all night. I'm a side sleeper myself, and earplugs have been a lifesaver in some situations.

About the Loops, I hear you on the suction worry. I haven't tried those myself, but I did have some silicone ones a while back that felt way too snug and uncomfortable on my side. Foam ones were definitely gentler on my ears.

Maybe try going to a drugstore and see if they have a travel-sized pack of foam ones. They're usually pretty affordable, and you can at least get a feel for the size and softness before committing to a bigger box.

An ENT consult might be the ultimate solution for a perfect fit, but yeah, those can get pricey. Unless the noise is really affecting your sleep every night, I'd probably try the drugstore route first.

One last thing - have you considered a white noise machine? I know it might sound weird to add more noise to the situation, but sometimes a steady hum can help mask those disruptive beeps and bangs. Might be worth a shot!
I wish I'd thought of ear plugs a year ago! I'm lucky that I don't have to get up super early for work, but I like getting up early in the summer for me and that really suffered last year. I'm trying not to have a repeat.

I did not do a white noise machine but we have an air purifier and fans (plus the AC when it's too hot to sleep - AC is a large window unit in the other room). I can hear the beeping through most of that, so I had no desire to buy (and pay to run) yet another item. I've tried some noises on the phone with the same result.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I wish I'd thought of ear plugs a year ago! I'm lucky that I don't have to get up super early for work, but I like getting up early in the summer for me and that really suffered last year. I'm trying not to have a repeat.

I did not do a white noise machine but we have an air purifier and fans (plus the AC when it's too hot to sleep - AC is a large window unit in the other room). I can hear the beeping through most of that, so I had no desire to buy (and pay to run) yet another item. I've tried some noises on the phone with the same result.
Good suggestion, but yes, different things work for different people.

Long ago I bought a Sharper Image sound machine, then another... the "fake" sound kept me awake rather than put me to sleep. What's supposed to be rain sounds like TV/radio static to me. There are some sleep vids on YTube & those are also hit or miss for someone so bothered by noise. If you've got a vid with crickets & hooting owls & birds chirping, I will rip that thing out of the wall. All okay, peaceful sounds when meditating or doing yoga but I cannot sleep with god's little creatures speaking to me all night long.

I'm lucky now that I moved into a very quiet bungalow... no one above or below me. I'm also 30-yrs younger than most who live here cuz many of the tenants are retired folks who don't seem to have wild parties or drive their hoop rides with screaming radios home at 2am.

Still, I've gotten so used to decades of a big box fan tuning out noise, that unless I turn it on, I cannot sleep, even though it's mercifully quiet here. Guess I'm going to have to ween myself off of the fan over the next year.

Honestly, sleep has been my biggest demon. Sounds like many of us are in the same boat. I'm still going to p/u earplugs, just to test them & get used to them. Took me over 1-yr to get used to an eye mask.

Old 05-05-2024, 07:08 AM

22,675 posts, read 24,657,321 times
When I first started using foam-earplugs while sleeping, my ears would get fairly sore and bruised.

It took a month or so for these initial problems from using foam-earplugs to subside....now I usually do not have problems, the ones I get occasionally are mild.

There is a definite adaptation-period that takes-place for most when they start using foam-earplugs while sleeping. I would say, at least for myself, it is well worth it considering just how much noise they block-out.

The quality of the big-name plugs that I have used for years has really gone down. Getting the right foam-earplug is very important in how comfortable and effective they are. The specific foam-earplugs that I have used for years now are such poor quality.....they shrunk them down to the point where they will fall out at night even after I have properly inserted them. If they fall out, that means they are not fitting properly and are not blocking sound that great.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
The quality of the big-name plugs that I have used for years has really gone down. Getting the right foam-earplug is very important in how comfortable and effective they are. The specific foam-earplugs that I have used for years now are such poor quality.....they shrunk them down to the point where they will fall out at night even after I have properly inserted them. If they fall out, that means they are not fitting properly and are not blocking sound that great.
I understand. I've used earplugs for decades for lap swimming. I must have a small ear canal as the foam plugs are always too big to use. I'd have to get an Exacto knife to whittle them down if I wanted to use foam. I've occasionally gotten them free when buying new goggles & always end up tossing them... they also begin getting hard if used in the pool, no doubt from chlorine & being wet, so I can't imagine they last long.

I use the small corkscrew silicone types... they're tiny & can be gently turned into the ear, for lack of a better term. I also give them a quick wash in soap-water-alcohol & sanitize the case... they last forever. Occasionally one has gotten dented as I didn't pack it properly & then it needs to be tossed as it doesn't keep out water. Usually, I eventually lose them somewhere along the way.

As a side sleeper, I'd just be afraid to use those & cut off the ends for proper fit as they might get lodged in my ear. I'm reupholstering chairs & using thick, soft foam for the seats... I was actually looking at it last night wondering if I could cut out a pair of sleep plugs?

Old 05-05-2024, 08:54 AM

22,675 posts, read 24,657,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I understand. I've used earplugs for decades for lap swimming. I must have a small ear canal as the foam plugs are always too big to use. I'd have to get an Exacto knife to whittle them down if I wanted to use foam. I've occasionally gotten them free when buying new goggles & always end up tossing them... they also begin getting hard if used in the pool, no doubt from chlorine & being wet, so I can't imagine they last long.

I use the small corkscrew silicone types... they're tiny & can be gently turned into the ear, for lack of a better term. I also give them a quick wash in soap-water-alcohol & sanitize the case... they last forever. Occasionally one has gotten dented as I didn't pack it properly & then it needs to be tossed as it doesn't keep out water. Usually, I eventually lose them somewhere along the way.

As a side sleeper, I'd just be afraid to use those & cut off the ends for proper fit as they might get lodged in my ear. I'm reupholstering chairs & using thick, soft foam for the seats... I was actually looking at it last night wondering if I could cut out a pair of sleep plugs?

Yes, I too really like silicone-earplugs.........they are a lot less hassle when compared to foam-earplugs. The problem for me is, silicone-earplugs are just not as effective at blocking noise as foam-earplugs.
I use silicone if things get noisy during the day, the ease of use make them the best choice if I want something I can quickly take in and out of my ears.

If you are having trouble inserting foam-earplugs, a possible solution may be testing various brands. Foam-earplugs vary a lot, some roll-up more easily and tightly than others, making insertion a lot easier.

Old 05-05-2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Good suggestion, but yes, different things work for different people.

Long ago I bought a Sharper Image sound machine, then another... the "fake" sound kept me awake rather than put me to sleep. What's supposed to be rain sounds like TV/radio static to me. There are some sleep vids on YTube & those are also hit or miss for someone so bothered by noise. If you've got a vid with crickets & hooting owls & birds chirping, I will rip that thing out of the wall. All okay, peaceful sounds when meditating or doing yoga but I cannot sleep with god's little creatures speaking to me all night long.

I'm lucky now that I moved into a very quiet bungalow... no one above or below me. I'm also 30-yrs younger than most who live here cuz many of the tenants are retired folks who don't seem to have wild parties or drive their hoop rides with screaming radios home at 2am.

Still, I've gotten so used to decades of a big box fan tuning out noise, that unless I turn it on, I cannot sleep, even though it's mercifully quiet here. Guess I'm going to have to ween myself off of the fan over the next year.

Honestly, sleep has been my biggest demon. Sounds like many of us are in the same boat. I'm still going to p/u earplugs, just to test them & get used to them. Took me over 1-yr to get used to an eye mask.
Laughing a little at the bolded! I love sleeping with the windows open in the summer and hearing the crickets and birds. I've tried nature sounds on the phone (youtube or whatever) and they annoy me because they are not "my" birds! Yet I've had no issues sleeping with windows open in other parts of the country where the birds are different. Same with the water sounds - not bad when I'm awake but I can't fall asleep to one of those videos! I can fall asleep to real water though. It's almost like the video or sound tracks are too busy?

I used to say I can fall asleep anywhere with any kind of noise. What I realize now is that I can do that, but the real issue is how long can I stay asleep and how good will the sleep be? I enjoy (and need) sleep more than I used to when I was younger.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:51 PM

1,038 posts, read 565,856 times
I HATE those beepers, they're alarmingly loud on heavy equipment. Be careful w/ earplugs. They can push earwax into your ear cavity and create all sorts of problems. I have permanent tinnitus now from being on antibiotics and sleeping w/ foam earplugs to sleep in a noisy environment. Trust me, Tinnitus 24/7 for decades is the worst thing that ever happened to me, so be careful w/ your ears and if you notice your ears ringing even a little, stop whatever is causing it. People have killed themselves from loud and constant Tinnitus.

What worked for me was to buy an inexpensive window A/C, and setting it on the bedside table. Those have what is known as pink or brown noise, so the spectrum of different frequencies is much better for sound abatement. I would suggest auditioning several different models as some of them are whisper quiet. You want a "noisy" one. A new one runs well under $200. You won't be running the compressor, just the fan, so you don't have to worry about drainage or anything. Get yourself a small sound machine too to set next to or on the A/C. Homedics sells a lot of inexpensive models. You can find one on eBay for under $20. They have 6-8 different sounds to choose from.

Honestly, you can't overthink protecting your hearing or getting a good nite's sleep. Most sound intrusion is through windows. Those thick curtains they sell do nothing. Make something you can place in the bedroom windows that will fit tightly, as any gaps will let high frequency noises enter your room. I bought multiple layers of Styrofoam to make a 8" thick block and sized it to fit snugly in the window cavity. But what worked better was to buy some 2 x 4's and cut and screw them together to make a window plug. Wood is much more dense than Styrofoam. I lined the edges w/ the door weatherstripping you can buy in rolls at Walmart or Ace Hardware. We actually had to sell our mobile home in Las Cruces because the DOT was behind us, and their project stretched out for so long we couldn't handle that loud BEEP BEEP anymore. Hollow core doors are another source of sound intrusion. Get a solid door if needed, or screw 2 or 3 of them hollow ones together. You can pick them up cheap at Habitat for Humanity stores.

Last edited by stephenMM; 05-07-2024 at 10:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness