Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 05:55 PM

6,604 posts, read 5,006,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I have been using foam-earplugs to sleep for a very long time. It does take some getting used to, but once you adapt to them, it can be a big benefit.

I have tried all sorts, hands-down foam-earplugs seem to be the best when it comes to blocking out noise. Foam-earplugs are pretty much the only type earplug that score a 33-NRR (noise reduction rating).

Yes, you would have to experiment...........from my experience, the quality of earplugs has taken a big decline in the last 3 or 4 years, so you must try them out.
I picked up a small package today, they were rated at 32 I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I found out several years ago that my hearing comes almost completely from the bone behind the ear (both ears). That's why ear plugs never worked for me. I couldn't understand it and no one believed me. It took an audiologist to explain it to me after a hearing test.

So if you find that standard ear plugs don't work, try noise-canceling earphones. I had some for listening to music. There may specifically be some you can wear while sleeping.

I also used a "noise machine" as it was called way back when my adult children were born. They're now called ambient noise machines. You can buy something that has a few different settings and find the one that works best for you. When I had a problem sleeping during the day (nighttime job) many years ago, there were boys skateboarding outside making all kinds of noise and the wind machine worked for me. Just a couple more suggestions amongst the others here.
Good luck finding a solution!
That is so interesting! I have had a few "not normal" medical things that seem to take doctors forever to find out. Glad you found something that worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-C View Post
I use 3M Classic earplugs for small plane flying, motorcycling, using power equipment, etc. but not for sleeping..they work very well and you don't even notice you're wearing them..
Awsome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I've used cheap foam earplugs, available in the drug area of Walmart for years. You squish them flat, then stick them in, they expand to fill the space. Never had a problem. LOVE THEM!

You are way overthinking this. THey're like $4 a box. just get some and try them!
haha I can't deny that and thanks for saying it. I got a package today

I found a thread elsewhere that said how difficult it is to muffle the backup beeps It sounds like theirs were right on their street and what I'm hearing is further away so fingers crossed it works. Not sure if they are working tonight but I'm going to give them a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 12:21 AM

366 posts, read 215,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I've used cheap foam earplugs, available in the drug area of Walmart for years. You squish them flat, then stick them in, they expand to fill the space. Never had a problem. LOVE THEM!

You are way overthinking this. THey're like $4 a box. just get some and try them!
What Stagemom said

I worked the Oilpatch for 44 year, about half offshore in very loud conditions, including the Main Living Quarters. Used the Foam Ear Plugs alot over the years.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:02 AM

3,113 posts, read 2,022,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboolman View Post
What Stagemom said

I worked the Oilpatch for 44 year, about half offshore in very loud conditions, including the Main Living Quarters. Used the Foam Ear Plugs alot over the years.
That sounds brutal.

As a side sleeper, I've always found earplugs tough to use. I use a big box fan to drown out noises. Occasionally, as a renter, I've lived in places where it didn't always help due to a particularly loud neighbor, but in most cases, it's been fine & I've used loud fans for decades. The ones called Aerospeed work best for me. If I buy a Lasko, I have to test it in the store, as some are super quiet & not as loud as I need.

My only fuss with them is I'm not a morning person so it's always tough for me to get up... I set 3 alarms. Occasionally, if I'm extra tired, the sound of the fan will make me fall back to sleep (hence the 3 alarms).

Good luck. I hate that there are so many of us who need accessories to help us sleep.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:37 AM

6,604 posts, read 5,006,785 times
All right, I tried the earplugs last night. I ended up only using one - not because the one in my pillow bothered me but because it amplified my heart beat! (some reviewers said that happened to them too). In any case, one ear plug with the other ear in the pillow really helped. Last night was one of the loudest nights since they did grinding last year. I hope this continues to work once I have the windows open at night.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:37 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,428,782 times
I sleep with earplugs every night.

Sometimes I put them in when I go to bed, sometimes in the middle of the night and sometimes later.

Rarely never.

The help.

And you can always hear the alarm clock if you don't wake up naturally before it goes off.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:51 AM

3,113 posts, read 2,022,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I sleep with earplugs every night.

Sometimes I put them in when I go to bed, sometimes in the middle of the night and sometimes later.

Rarely never.

The help.

And you can always hear the alarm clock if you don't wake up naturally before it goes off.
Do you mind saying which ones you use? I've never tried them due to my fear of sleeping through an alarm, which I often do sans plugs. "I'm just not a morning person" is what I used to say... I suspect a lifetime of restless sleep & being woken up 1/2-dozen+ times each night due to outdoor noise is probably more to do with it. TY.

Old 04-23-2024, 08:40 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,428,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Do you mind saying which ones you use? I've never tried them due to my fear of sleeping through an alarm, which I often do sans plugs. "I'm just not a morning person" is what I used to say... I suspect a lifetime of restless sleep & being woken up 1/2-dozen+ times each night due to outdoor noise is probably more to do with it. TY.
I honestly have forgotten the brand but they are for say, construction....they are orange & foamy. Just squeeze them and pull the back of your ear back and insert them and they expand. I'm sure Walgreens and Wal-Mart have them. Very cheap. Buy several pairs. When one gets waxy over time I toss them and use the new ones in the little plastic baggies they come in.

I always here the alarm go off. Always.

Old 04-24-2024, 12:30 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,692,504 times
There are different styles of foam earplugs and they are cheap enough that you can try different kinds to see what has the best comfort and effectiveness for you.

The backup alarms are by design piercing and hard to completely block out. In my opinion, having worked on numerous construction sites, they are going off so much that they start to lose their intended purpose (warning you that you are about to be run over by a truck).

Several years ago they were reconstructing one of the main runways at Anchorage International. That meant that aircraft that normally climb out over the inlet were now going over the city. Anchorage is one of the busiest air cargo airports in the world. Seemed like a whole slew of them would take off around 3-4am. Fully loaded 747's at full throttle going over our house. Talk about loud.

Old 04-24-2024, 02:26 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,945,382 times
Wow. As for earplugs, I put my phone on vibrate and make sure it's close to my body. (I don't care about the vibes transmitting from the phone and whatever damage some people think it might cause.)

Old 04-27-2024, 08:43 AM

9,941 posts, read 4,697,550 times
The problem with ear plugs besides comfort one should be careful when sleeping because if too much pressure is put on the ear the inward pressure might affect the ear drum.

Most ear plugs are too prevent hearing damage or filter out the damage frequencies which means many noises/frequencies will get by. Also many noises have electrical energy behind them like music, sound effects, motors, back up beepers/alarms etc which means those sounds will carry farther and through more.

I have nuisance neighbors that play electronic video games and music all night and the low frequencies ie the bass type sound cut through the walls all the time. Can hear a car's boom box speakers blocks away.

I've tried putting radio on low etc, sometimes it's works but many radio stations boost their signal at night or compress or amplify commercials. I've tried tunning into nothing to create static that doesn't work.

If outside noises are the issues and one is in a house they say energy saving window help cut out outside noises.

Just be careful with ear plugs so your ear drums arenot affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness