Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 02:17 PM

17,608 posts, read 13,397,782 times

Advertisements

Keep these hydration guidelines in mind as you make your way through your day.

https://www.cnet.com/health/medical/...erly-hydrated/
Quote:
Are you drinking eight glasses of water every day? Should you? It's important to make sure you drink enough water, especially if you live in extreme heat conditions. Dehydration can lead to fatigue, spikes in blood pressure and irregular heart rate. But the rules of hydration are surprisingly slippery. There's a lot of advice out there about how much water you should drink, who needs the most and how to know if you're dehydrated. In this article, you'll learn the true recommended intake for water, plus several factors that influence your hydration needs.
A lot of good info, especially regarding needs under various circumstances. But, the last two paragraphs have a great solution
Quote:

Drink half your bodyweight in ounces: This is a simple guideline that's easy to remember and usually easy to achieve. If you weigh 150 pounds, aim to drink 75 ounces of water each day. This is the only rule of thumb that accounts for different body sizes, but it doesn't account for thirst, climate, activity level or other factors.
Experiment with hydration techniques to find what works for you. As long as you're not battling chronic fatigue, headaches or other signs of dehydration, you are probably doing a pretty good job. As a failsafe, you can always determine whether you are under or overhydrated based on the color of your urine.
The key is staying hydrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 03:19 PM

9,920 posts, read 4,673,512 times
Can't alway measure in numbers but I've heard in the past 70% of the trips to the bathroom the urine should be mostly clear and odorless. Also thirst is natures way to say the body needs more water. Numbers will vary by individual but signs like fatigue, cramps, dry mouth might be a sign of dehydration as well.

Old 04-18-2024, 04:03 PM

23,354 posts, read 18,943,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Also thirst is natures way to say the body needs more water. Numbers will vary by individual but signs like fatigue, cramps, dry mouth might be a sign of dehydration as well.
Though I've read that by the time thirst and symptoms like those become noticeable, a person has been in a fluid deficit for a while. If you're trying to prevent dehydration in the first place, that's a little late. There's laundry list of more subtle indicators that may show up before thirst does including irritability, poor concentration, low grade headache, bad breath, hunger, skin tenting (different than dry skin)...

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-18-2024 at 04:28 PM..

Old 04-18-2024, 10:54 PM

1,975 posts, read 1,107,340 times
Trace minerals are a good addition to your water
https://www.amazon.com/AUSSIE-TRACE-.../dp/B07JVTSW9C

Old 04-19-2024, 12:35 PM

50,911 posts, read 24,413,204 times
The whole 8 bottles a day thing is crapola.

At my current age (74), my mother weighed 98. I way 228. What moronic doctor would say we should each drink the same amount of water?

The figure I found most often was current weight X .67 = ounces you should drink on a 'normal day'. More if it is extremely hot or you are working hard and sweating. No, I'm not going to point to some source for that...I spend days finding it. Take it or leave it. I just know it works for me.

Old 04-19-2024, 05:30 PM

1,140 posts, read 625,457 times
The thing is... it depends on what you ingest during the day.

If you drink soup, eat fruits, eat veggies that are a good water source (spinach etc)... they all count in the amount of water you need.

I have NEVER drank 8 cups of water a day... unless I was out in the sun, working out strenuously, etc.

I know if I'm dehydrated... yes from colour of urine, lips dry, etc.

My mom is the same. She probably drinks like 2 cups of water a day and she is healthy.

Old 04-20-2024, 07:29 PM

17,608 posts, read 13,397,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The whole 8 bottles a day thing is crapola.

At my current age (74), my mother weighed 98. I way 228. What moronic doctor would say we should each drink the same amount of water?

The figure I found most often was current weight X .67 = ounces you should drink on a 'normal day'. More if it is extremely hot or you are working hard and sweating. No, I'm not going to point to some source for that...I spend days finding it. Take it or leave it. I just know it works for me.
Not to cause an argument, but did you read my post and article?
Quote:
Drink half your bodyweight in ounces: This is a simple guideline that's easy to remember and usually easy to achieve. If you weigh 150 pounds, aim to drink 75 ounces of water each day. This is the only rule of thumb that accounts for different body sizes, but it doesn't account for thirst, climate, activity level or other factors.
Experiment with hydration techniques to find what works for you. As long as you're not battling chronic fatigue, headaches or other signs of dehydration, you are probably doing a pretty good job. As a failsafe, you can always determine whether you are under or overhydrated based on the color of your urine.

Old 04-21-2024, 10:47 AM

10,578 posts, read 7,793,544 times
"It's important to make sure you drink enough water, especially if you live in extreme heat conditions."

Air temperature, sun exposure, amount of physical exertion, food intake, body weight, how much a person is sweating- There seem to be several variables that could help determine how much water would be ideal for a person to drink.

Figuring half my bodyweight in ounces it's be 9-10 glasses of 8 ounces a day. That's a whopper. I'd need to have a toilet nearby at every hour-or less!

Old 04-21-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Not to cause an argument, but did you read my post and article?
Yes I did. And I'm not disagreeing with it. So what's the problem?

Old 04-21-2024, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
"It's important to make sure you drink enough water, especially if you live in extreme heat conditions."

Air temperature, sun exposure, amount of physical exertion, food intake, body weight, how much a person is sweating- There seem to be several variables that could help determine how much water would be ideal for a person to drink.

Figuring half my bodyweight in ounces it's be 9-10 glasses of 8 ounces a day. That's a whopper. I'd need to have a toilet nearby at every hour-or less!
Living here in Arizona I've learned one thing...it seems as if you're not usually sweating, even in the extreme heat. But I think that's often because the sweat evaporates almost immediately with relative humidities that are often in the teens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness