Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 10:59 AM

1,065 posts, read 2,254,713 times

Advertisements

I’m no doctor or expert on this topic, but I have looked into this topic quite a bit in the past, and I will write my take on this:

For the most part I agree on the 50% of your body weight in how many ounces one should drink in the day. If one weighs 150 pounds, drinking 75 ounces or more sounds accurate to me. However, there are many factors that come into play such as one’s activity level, what fruits that contains water does one eat on a given day etc. For example, on an average day where I don’t engage in intense exercise and will just take a light walk that day, I may consume a little more than 1/2 my body weight in ounces. On the other hand, on the days that I go running and sweat a lot, or workout at the gym, I’ll consume quite a bit more water on that day.

To claim that everyone should drink 8 glasses of water a day is way too general, and leaves out too many factors such as body weight, activity level etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 07:03 PM

24,020 posts, read 15,120,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
The thing is... it depends on what you ingest during the day.

If you drink soup, eat fruits, eat veggies that are a good water source (spinach etc)... they all count in the amount of water you need.

I have NEVER drank 8 cups of water a day... unless I was out in the sun, working out strenuously, etc.

I know if I'm dehydrated... yes from colour of urine, lips dry, etc.

My mom is the same. She probably drinks like 2 cups of water a day and she is healthy.
IMO, Romaine and ice burg lettuce is just textured water.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:42 AM

22,667 posts, read 24,635,434 times
I go mainly with thirst, seems to work fine for me.

Some days I will have very little thirst and might intake a total of 16-ounces of water. Other days, like if it is hot and I am sweating while doing work outside, it takes a lot more than 8-glasses of water to quench my thirst.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:06 AM

7,285 posts, read 5,165,355 times
General rule for IV maintenance therapy in a pt unable to eat or drink-- 1.5L/d (50oz-- about 4 x 12oz)

Keep in mind that fresh meat & produce is around 70% water.

I guess how much water, if any, you drink every day depends on how many Martinis you drink each evening.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:41 AM

6,049 posts, read 3,766,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I go mainly with thirst, seems to work fine for me.

Some days I will have very little thirst and might intake a total of 16-ounces of water. Other days, like if it is hot and I am sweating while doing work outside, it takes a lot more than 8-glasses of water to quench my thirst.
It's not just "water" that counts. It's liquid in ANY form that counts. This, of course, includes things like coffee, tea, milk, soft drinks, juice, beer, etc. It also includes foods that are high in water/liquid content such as melons, lettuce, apples, pears, peaches, ice cream, yogurt, etc.

If you add all these liquid sources to the actual "water" that you drink, then you are likely consuming much more liquids per day than you realize.

Old 04-22-2024, 10:02 AM

4,215 posts, read 4,469,079 times
^^Exactly and the benefit of getting more of one's liquid in form of fruits, vegetables is that it is a slow release of liquid into the system as the body digests it and breaks it down along with the other nutrients.

The eight glasses a day never made sense in a holistic way (subject size, output urine color spectrum, etc) . Rather sounded more like a marketing slogan for bottled water manufacturers.

Last edited by ciceropolo; 04-22-2024 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: additional

Old 04-27-2024, 08:54 AM

9,920 posts, read 4,673,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
It's not just "water" that counts. It's liquid in ANY form that counts. This, of course, includes things like coffee, tea, milk, soft drinks, juice, beer, etc. It also includes foods that are high in water/liquid content such as melons, lettuce, apples, pears, peaches, ice cream, yogurt, etc.

If you add all these liquid sources to the actual "water" that you drink, then you are likely consuming much more liquids per day than you realize.

True but some of those mentioned can act as dehydraters. They either pull/use water from the body to process or act as a diuretic. Also many people have more than one coffee or drink and their effects are amplified.

Milk has been debateable. Some say it's a food other says it's a liquid. Also high protein foods use/need water to process. Digestion and absorption use water.

Old 04-28-2024, 06:25 AM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
^^Exactly and the benefit of getting more of one's liquid in form of fruits, vegetables is that it is a slow release of liquid into the system as the body digests it and breaks it down along with the other nutrients.

The eight glasses a day never made sense in a holistic way (subject size, output urine color spectrum, etc) . Rather sounded more like a marketing slogan for bottled water manufacturers.
But I remember hearing that as a kid, before there was such a thing as bottled water (at least for the masses). Go back to 1975 and walk into a convenience store. You're not going to find bottles of water for sale!

Old 04-30-2024, 11:33 AM

17,642 posts, read 22,665,622 times
We eat a lot of Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Honey Dew Melon, in the Summer Time.
We drink from mountain fed creeks & Artesian Springs...

Last edited by Hawk J; 04-30-2024 at 11:44 AM..

Old Today, 02:22 PM

61,857 posts, read 87,314,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The whole 8 bottles a day thing is crapola..
Exactly! And debunked many times.
I guess, old habits die hard.
People just don't want to believe in researches and updates, no matter how many times they were posted.

This topic was discussed even here several times.

BTW:
There was ever rule of 8 BOTTLES, but 8 cups of water a day ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness