Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 03:17 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I got all the childhood diseases that typified the early 1960s; measles, German Measles n/k/a Rubella, mumps and chicken pox. After t hose, I rarely had a day out of school sick, and I rarely miss work now.
Me too, plus scarlet fever. Also very healthy after I got through all of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 05:15 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Sometime after parents moved our family to Florida (I was age 5) I got asthma that made me get up at night and sit in a chair gasping for air, no fun. I remember taking blue pills to breathe better, 1959-60.
Never missed any school.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:10 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Me too, plus scarlet fever. Also very healthy after I got through all of those.
I was born in 1957, and I think at some point before 1963 I got a vaccine for scarlet fever.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:10 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Tonsilitis a few times, mild case of measles and chickenpox

Old 04-16-2024, 06:17 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
I ended up getting the measles twice. The first time was when I was 4. One day I woke up and told my mother I had "freckles". She told me it was the measles. Turned out to be a mild case. The second time around, I was 6 and had a worse case. Next up, chicken pox when I was 9. I was one of the last kids in my neighborhood to get it and figured that I had dodged that bullet. But no. My mother sent us to summer day camp and I came home one day with the chicken pox. I was glad to stay home as I didn't like summer camp. German measles got me when I was 10. Again, it was going around and I was one of the last kids to get it. My mother made me go to school and see the school nurse because she wasn't sure that was what I got. The nurse said I had it and my mother had to take me home.

I never did get the mumps although my brothers got it. My mother insisted that I did get the mumps but back then I had a great memory and told her I never did get it.

Otherwise---when I was 7, I developed a skin condition. The doctor didn't know what it was. Back then, the GPs were expected to take care of all sorts of ailments. Eventually, the doctor said it was parapsoriasis which is a catch-all phrase for skin conditions that look similar to psoriasis. A cream-like concoction was created for me to apply to the patches as they appeared. My father was a pharmacist and had the prescription so when I would run out, he would make some for me. Some patches were small but others were large. Kids didn't believe me when I would tell them it wasn't contagious. It gradually eased off when I was in my teens. Living in the tropics for a couple of years all but made it disappear. It's been many years since I had a problem.

When we had our daughter, she got all the shots and boosters---DPT, MMR, HIB. She never did get the chicken pox even when it was going around. As a result, her pediatrician gave her the chicken pox shot when she was in middle school.

Old 04-17-2024, 05:00 AM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I got all the childhood diseases that typified the early 1960s; measles, German Measles n/k/a Rubella, mumps and chicken pox. After t hose, I rarely had a day out of school sick, and I rarely miss work now.

Me too. But, I also had my share of flu and bronchitis in my teens especially.

Allergies hit me bad starting in my mid-20's and got progressively worse. My doc says they are supposed to get better with age; but, mine are getting worse.

Old 04-17-2024, 05:04 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
I was lucky with colds.

Old 04-17-2024, 05:46 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Me too. But, I also had my share of flu and bronchitis in my teens especially.

Allergies hit me bad starting in my mid-20's and got progressively worse. My doc says they are supposed to get better with age; but, mine are getting worse.
I had a bad sophomore year of college with that; otherwise not much.

Old 04-17-2024, 08:34 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
I had the usual childhood diseases but having lived in Appalachia in East Tenn I had contracted histoplasmosis at age 5. We moved to Texas and in reality diagnosis was a stroke of luck as it was not a common disease there. I ran fevers, mostly low grade for around 6 months and was hospitalized for a couple of weeks. Apparently there were not a lot of anti-fungal meds then (1959-60) and was treated with supportive care including gamma globulin injections. It was given as an immunity booster.

I also had 3 eye surgeries for muscle imbalance by age 8. Got lazy eye to this day.

My adult health has been pretty good.

Old Today, 08:43 AM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I missed the childhood diseases even though I was born in the 50’s. My much older siblings got them all before I was born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness