Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 02:42 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
But exactly how does the obesity epidemic affect you? I couldn't care less about how many obese people there are... It doesn't make any difference in my life..
Well a large population of obese people does affect everyone else at least indirectly. They have weakened immune systems so they get infectious diseases easier. And spread them, and provide a living Petri dish for mutation. Not to mention that so many military age kids are so damn fat the military won't take them. They know from bitter experience that boot camp won't get them in shape, even if they repeat it 2 or 3 times. That's not killing our readiness, not right now, but it's not helping.

"The strength of the wolf is the strength of the pack, and the strength of the pack is the strength of the wolf." If your "pack" is out of shape and unhealthy, it makes you somewhat less strong, even if you are in excellent condition yourself.

And all that said by a hardcore libertarian individualist. Well, individualism has its limits.

Old 04-10-2024, 02:45 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I get tons of exercise, I don't NEED to walk the 15 feet into a store if I don't want to. So maybe those people don't need to either. Let's say they ARE obese, walking that 15 feet is not going to accomplish a lot.

I'm ALL for lots of cardio, lots of weights, and healthy whole foods, made at home.

I'm also always amazed at how busy all the fast food restaurants are - I think it is generally unhealthy. But I'm retired, have lots of time, and financially comfortable. It's easy for me to cook (and I enjoy it), I genuinely LIKE healthy foods, and I have time to get my exercise in.

I'm not going to mentally condemn all the people I see grabbing a quick bite even with my views on food/obesity, I don't know what their lives are like. I would probably be doing the same thing if I had 3 kids and worked full time.

It just seems mean spirited to dump the "lazy obese" label on everyone in the drive through, and somewhat naive to think that has some huge impact on obesity. I have no idea how much exercise those people get, and it could be way more than me.

Making assumptions on a group of people you know nothing about, and then labeling them en masse in a negative view is kinda pointless.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-10-2024, 03:28 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Teal View Post
So now it's the pharmaceutical industry that is responsible? Or wait, is it the people who don't stand up to change their channels (even though 99% of TVs don't have buttons to change the channel, lol). You're all over the place my man, slow down and take a deep breath. Maybe go for one of those vaunted walks you've been desk pounding about.

It's good for your mind and body to exercise and eat a healthy, balance diet<-----there, I saved you another 12 pages of bickering. That's all you had to say.
Avoiding pointless bickering or getting your knickers in a knot over something you have no power over is good for the ol' cardiovascular system too!

Old 04-10-2024, 03:53 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Yes I know SuzyQ, you always think about the unlikely exceptions. But from the people that I know, and from the scientific evidence, I know that obesity is an epidemic and most Americans are not aware that they should have a healthy lifestyle.

You, of course, are not an advocate of healthy lifestyles. That would be bad for drug industry profits.
You are proving my point. Your assumptions about me are wrong.

The proposals I have made about people in the drive thru are not unlikely at all - and much more likely than your claim that all the people in those cars are lazy, fat, and sick.

I doubt that "most Americans are not aware that they should have a healthy lifestyle." They know, even if they choose not to do anything about it.

Please quote the posts of mine that have lead you to assume I do not advocate a healthy lifestyle.

I have nothing to do with drug company profits.

Old 04-10-2024, 04:03 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Wes till have Burgermaster here, an old-fashioned local chain with car hops, and we enjoy going to them. There is another, one-off drive-in that we like when visiting Anacortes, WA, called Fidalgo Drive-in that is also more like what we had in the 60s. It's especially fun to eat at these places in our classic cars.

The newer national franchise Sonic tried but here the guy that owned 9 of them failed to pay rent and eventually the court ordered them all to close. The few times we tried them they were just not the same, the service was poor, and the food average at best.

Ah nostalgia! My parents used to eat at an old-fashioned mom-pop drive-in called Two Eees (sp?). "Home of the Original Stinko-burger" which was some sort of onion/garlic-heaped entree. My mom always ordered it. My dad had an almost pathological fear of onions and garlic, so she didn't get to cook with them at home. If he caught her in the act of chopping a baseline, minimal amount some recipe called for, he'd scream "you know I can't eat that!" Funny thing was, if he didn't happen to spot it, he never seemed to notice. She knew him better than he knew himself. Ordering that Two Ees dish was a form of gentle defiance.

The drive in had a blinky neon sign featuring a chef with a clothespin on his nose. My parents spent dates there and brought the kids along later. A special treat for a birthday or other milestone celebration. Carhops weren't on roller skates, but they did wear cutesy red striped uniforms and delivered your food on enameled trays that clipped to the car windows. There were always a few minutes of worried fussing over adjusting the car window and attaching the tray clamp with its little rubber feet. Meanwhile, as delicious odors wafted through the car, our mouths watered helplessly. Waxed paper-wrapped grilled cheese for the kiddies, more esoteric burgers for the parents. Huge OOAK chocolate fudge, raspberry, strawberry, caramel, or butterscotch sundaes served in heavy glass goblets. They also offered a sit down restaurant option but that wasn't nearly as much fun.

Many years later my now elderly dad and I took a drive to see if it was still there. Ironically, they had just shut their doors and were dismantling the neon sign as we arrived. My dad just choked right up.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-10-2024 at 05:03 PM..

Old 04-10-2024, 04:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Avoiding pointless bickering or getting your knickers in a knot over something you have no power over is good for the ol' cardiovascular system too!
The OP would go apoplectic is he/she lived next door to me and saw my groceries being delivered. Haven't been in a supermarket since 2019 (for no other reason that I simply don't want to).

Old 04-10-2024, 04:50 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
It is a beautiful spring day here. I was walking past a fast food restaurant and noticed a long line of cars at the drive in window.

They could not even get out of their cars to walk into the restaurant to order on a warm sunny day!!!!

They should be glad to have an excuse to get out of the damn car and stand up. People used to feel they had to "stretch their legs" after sitting too long. Well obviously people don't feel that way now.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE????

I was, by the way, walking to the shopping center like I always do.
Good for you. The less driving, the better. Idling cars are a pet peeve of mine, so observing a line up of running cars at a fast food restaurant would annoy me too.

Sure, there are some cases where a reasonable case could be made for participating in this behavior.
For the most part I would tend to agree that it's mostly about convenience, poor food choices and laziness.

Old 04-10-2024, 05:05 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Anyone who gets angry defending their right to sit all the time and eat fast food is most likely one of the typical Americans who are fat and sick. That is a statistically proven fact about the typical American.
How about the other way around? I am glad you are not a typical American and know everything about statistics. Maybe it is time to go out and smell the roses, get in touch with reality. I really do not remember the last time I had fast food. Was it the homemade pretzel knots with a cheese ball and olives we had Sunday as nibbles with wine with friends while their youngster played with our cats?

Old 04-10-2024, 05:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Buckle up, OP; it's going to get worse.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/07/d...e-through.html

Quote:
Drive-through traffic rose 30 percent from 2019 to 2022, according to a report from the food service research firm Technomic.
Quote:
As momentum builds, the $113 billion fast-food industry is leaning in. Popeyes executives are cutting the size of dining rooms in half. Taco Bell is experimenting with eliminating them altogether in favor of more car lanes. Chick-fil-A plans to open a two-story, four-lane drive-through in Atlanta next year that can handle 75 cars at a time and delivers food from the kitchen on a conveyor belt.

Old 04-10-2024, 05:31 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Soooooo, we'd all be so much better off if we walked to get our fast food? Am I getting the gist of this, it's the sitting in cars that's the problem and not the fast food? THAT's the take away?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness