Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 01:18 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
It is a misconception, spread by the medical industry, that the purpose of exercise is to burn calories, and that diet is the most important thing for health. None of that is true.

Exercise will counter the effects of a less than ideal diet. You don't have to watch every bite you eat, there is no point.
I respect your opinion but beg to differ. You can't run an efficient, trouble-free car--or body--on crappy fuel.

You do you.

Jim Fix-- who popularized running--ate a junk diet and had been a smoker. He died running. His heart arteries were clogged--massive heart attack. He "looked fit" on the outside and was messed up on the inside. He couldn't--and didn't--outrun his fork.

Old 04-10-2024, 01:25 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I respect your opinion but beg to differ. You can't run an efficient, trouble-free car--or body--on crappy fuel.

You do you.

Jim Fix-- who popularized running--ate a junk diet and had been a smoker. He died running. His heart arteries were clogged--massive heart attack. He "looked fit" on the outside and was messed up on the inside. He couldn't--and didn't--outrun his fork.
I NEVER said that exercise alone is enough. I said diet can be less than ideal. I NEVER said you can live on junk food and be healthy.

But eating fairly well does not have to be a full time job, where you count calories and measure. Exercise will regulate the metabolism and make you in touch with your body, so you KNOW how much to eat, and you will NOT feel like cramming sugar into your stomach.

Old 04-10-2024, 01:39 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
diet is the most important thing for health. None of that is true.
Complete nonsense. Diet is, by far, the best predictor of health and longevity (aside from genetics). What goes in your mouth is the most important component of health, and it's not even close.

Old 04-10-2024, 01:40 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
So I guess you probably drive through. In the midst of an obesity epidemic, I think we need more judging, not less.
Would this hypothetical obese drive through customer satisfy your high standards if they chose a salad with vinaigrette dressing and/or a grilled chicken sandwich off the drive through menu? The obese people you're condemning can also walk into a local grocery store, walk the isles for an hour, fill their shopping bag with every high calorie entree from the deli counter, then walk back to their car too. The point I'm trying to make should be obvious. You're attempting to sum up someone's entire lifestyle based on ONE rather silly and specific action. FWIW, I probably haven't eaten "fast food" more than once over the past year. How's THAT for making healthier choices? Frankly, I don't go around bragging how virtuous my health habits are.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-10-2024 at 01:50 PM..

Old 04-10-2024, 01:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
It is a beautiful spring day here. I was walking past a fast food restaurant and noticed a long line of cars at the drive in window.

They could not even get out of their cars to walk into the restaurant to order on a warm sunny day!!!!

They should be glad to have an excuse to get out of the damn car and stand up. People used to feel they had to "stretch their legs" after sitting too long. Well obviously people don't feel that way now.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE????

I was, by the way, walking to the shopping center like I always do.
And?

Just so you know, people may have reasons that you know nothing about. Although I personally don't get fast food, I'd use the drive-through if I did. Here's why: I'm not leaving my dog in a parked car on a warm sunny day in any universe. I'm sure there are others who feel the same. Its also easy to see why a parent with a carload of kids would opt for the drive through, or someone on their way to work who doesn't have the time to dawdle around with parking and going inside.

Old 04-10-2024, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
And?

Just so you know, people may have reasons that you know nothing about. Although I personally don't get fast food, I'd use the drive-through if I did. Here's why: I'm not leaving my dog in a parked car on a warm sunny day in any universe. I'm sure there are others who feel the same. Its also easy to see why a parent with a carload of kids would opt for the drive through, or someone on their way to work who doesn't have the time to dawdle around with parking and going inside.
So everyone had an excuse. None of them were just too lazy to stand up and walk around for 5 minutes. And what is their excuse when using the remote control at home? The dog is sleeping on their lap and they don't want to disturb it? Their wife just washed the floor and it's too slippery to walk on? They just had knee surgery and must not put weight on their legs? The baby is crawling on the floor and they are afraid they might step on it?

Always possible to find excuses.

Old 04-10-2024, 02:20 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
So everyone had an excuse. None of them were just too lazy to stand up and walk around for 5 minutes. And what is their excuse when using the remote control at home? The dog is sleeping on their lap and they don't want to disturb it? Their wife just washed the floor and it's too slippery to walk on? They just had knee surgery and must not put weight on their legs? The baby is crawling on the floor and they are afraid they might step on it?

Most TVs don't even have physical buttons to get up and change. This argument is even dumber than the drive-thru one.

Old 04-10-2024, 02:25 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:

The problem is that you assume facts not in evidence about the people in line at the drive thru. You have no idea what their motivation is for using it rather than going inside. Unless you went up to each vehicle and looked inside, you have no way of knowing who was obese. Unless you reviewed all of the orders you have no idea whether their food choices were unhealthy or not. Unless you have personally observed their physical activity, you have no way to know whether they exercise or not.

For all you know, the people in the drive thru have already done 10,000 steps at work and are picking up salads for dinner.

Old 04-10-2024, 02:29 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:

So not wanting to leave a dog in a car on a hot day is an "excuse?" Do you even understand how quickly cars heat up when parked on sunny days? Not wanting to be late to work is an "excuse"? Both scenarios sound like responsible behavior to me.

https://www.avma.org/resources-tools.../pets-vehicles

Your attempted equivalency about the TV remote doesn't fly.

Why do you think anyone even owes you an "excuse"?

Old 04-10-2024, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The problem is that you assume facts not in evidence about the people in line at the drive thru. You have no idea what their motivation is for using it rather than going inside. Unless you went up to each vehicle and looked inside, you have no way of knowing who was obese. Unless you reviewed all of the orders you have no idea whether their food choices were unhealthy or not. Unless you have personally observed their physical activity, you have no way to know whether they exercise or not.

For all you know, the people in the drive thru have already done 10,000 steps at work and are picking up salads for dinner.
Yes I know SuzyQ, you always think about the unlikely exceptions. But from the people that I know, and from the scientific evidence, I know that obesity is an epidemic and most Americans are not aware that they should have a healthy lifestyle.

You, of course, are not an advocate of healthy lifestyles. That would be bad for drug industry profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness