Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 11:37 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Keep getting fatter and sicker, that's my advice to you.
Is it necessary to attack me about my size and health even you know nothing about me?

Old 04-10-2024, 12:27 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Is it necessary to attack me about my size and health even you know nothing about me?
Anyone who gets angry defending their right to sit all the time and eat fast food is most likely one of the typical Americans who are fat and sick. That is a statistically proven fact about the typical American.

Old 04-10-2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Teal View Post
It's a "statistically proven fact" that some poster is supposedly defending people sitting down and that means he/she is fat, is that right? I'm getting a bit lost here with all your bizarre claims.
It is a statistically proven fact that the typical American is fat and sick.

I don't know anything about that poster. But the fact that it makes him so angry, and the simple odds, suggests to me that he is fat and sick. If he were concerned about taking care of his health, my post would not have angered him.

Old 04-10-2024, 12:56 PM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
It is a beautiful spring day here. I was walking past a fast food restaurant and noticed a long line of cars at the drive in window.

They could not even get out of their cars to walk into the restaurant to order on a warm sunny day!!!!

They should be glad to have an excuse to get out of the damn car and stand up. People used to feel they had to "stretch their legs" after sitting too long. Well obviously people don't feel that way now.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE????

I was, by the way, walking to the shopping center like I always do.
Maybe ordering from an app and having it delivered is better.

Old 04-10-2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Maybe ordering from an app and having it delivered is better.
Order from an app and have it delivered to your door. Work at home. Never have to move a muscle.

Old 04-10-2024, 01:00 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Keep getting fatter and sicker, that's my advice to you.
You need to step back. Just because someone is pointing out how absolutely dumb your thread is here doesn't mean they are fat and sick. I also think your thread is one of the dumbest I've read in a long time, and I'm happy to compare any physical fitness measure you want -- body fat, bench press, mile time....you name it.

Old 04-10-2024, 01:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
You have a very wrong idea about exercise and health. The main purpose is NOT to burn calories! Exercise regulates the metabolism and prevents metabolic syndrome, diabetes 2, heart disease, etc.

Some defective research showed that exercise won't help in losing weight. No, a small amount of exercise for a couple of months won't help. But everyone believed it. The drug industry wants you fat and sick so they promote this kind of fake research.
When I started to take the bus to work every weekday, I had to walk 1.1 miles from the closest stop to my office. After about 6 weeks I had lost 10 pounds, without any change in diet or exercise. My doctor was very impressed when I went in to see him a couple of weeks after that. Then the loss stopped, as apparently my body because used to the walk, my weight didn't go up, but I didn't lose any more over the next 2-3 years. It was only Covid and work from home that I started to gain again, and now to stay the same, not gaining or losing, I spend 45 minutes a day between a treadmill and exercise bike. The bigger benefit though is getting the blood circulation that prevents coronary artery disease, high blood pressure and cholesterol, all of which are threats from a lot of fast food with the salt, sugar, fat and carbs.

Old 04-10-2024, 01:06 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
This is an EXAMPLE of why there is an obesity epidemic. Physical laziness is as or more important than what you eat.
Exercise and diet go hand-in-hand for sure. But portion size and what goes into your mouth are primary each day for fitness, weight control and disease prevention.

As the saying goes, "You can't outrun your fork."

If you eat more than 2000 calories a day--and if you're not physically active--you WILL gain weight. Especially as you age and your metabolism slows down to a snail's pace...

I do 40 minutes on an exercise bike 4x a week. It's sad to see that even at a moderately fast pace, I'm only burning 140 calories in 40 minutes.

One candy bar or one donut or two slices of cheese/pepperoni pizza--and pffft--those calories are back.

Walking into a fast food joint to order a cheeseburger, fries and maybe a soda or milkshake will not help anyone to get slim or fit.

Old 04-10-2024, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When I started to take the bus to work every weekday, I had to walk 1.1 miles from the closest stop to my office. After about 6 weeks I had lost 10 pounds, without any change in diet or exercise. My doctor was very impressed when I went in to see him a couple of weeks after that. Then the loss stopped, as apparently my body because used to the walk, my weight didn't go up, but I didn't lose any more over the next 2-3 years. It was only Covid and work from home that I started to gain again, and now to stay the same, not gaining or losing, I spend 45 minutes a day between a treadmill and exercise bike. The bigger benefit though is getting the blood circulation that prevents coronary artery disease, high blood pressure and cholesterol, all of which are threats from a lot of fast food with the salt, sugar, fat and carbs.
The point is not that exercise is good for health. The point is that lack of exercise is terrible for health. And the modern lifestyle makes it so easy to live with virtually no exercise. It is necessary to stop and think -- did I move at all today?

Little things like drive through and remote controls make it easier to never move. When there is only one flight of stairs, people take the elevator. Physical laziness becomes a hard to break habit. Little things count. Walking around the store shopping is better than ordering and having it delivered.

And, of course, time should be dedicated every day to walking or some easy aerobic exercise. If you want to run marathons or climb mountains, that is fine, but not necessary.

Old 04-10-2024, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Exercise and diet go hand-in-hand for sure. But portion size and what goes into your mouth are primary each day for fitness, weight control and disease prevention.

As the saying goes, "You can't outrun your fork."

If you eat more than 2000 calories a day--and if you're not physically active--you WILL gain weight. Especially as you age and your metabolism slows down to a snail's pace...

I do 40 minutes on an exercise bike 4x a week. It's sad to see that even at a moderately fast pace, I'm only burning 140 calories in 40 minutes.

One candy bar or one donut or two slices of cheese/pepperoni pizza--and pffft--those calories are back.

Walking into a fast food joint to order a cheeseburger, fries and maybe a soda or milkshake will not help anyone to get slim or fit.
It is a misconception, spread by the medical industry, that the purpose of exercise is to burn calories, and that diet is the most important thing for health. None of that is true.

Exercise will counter the effects of a less than ideal diet. You don't have to watch every bite you eat, there is no point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness