Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 08:19 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's a lot of assumptions for people you don't know. Maybe they are picking up something to eat after the gym or a hike, maybe they are using the time in line to catch up on emails or podcasts, maybe they have small kids in the car and it's easier, maybe they know the drive through is faster than walking up to the counter.... any number of things.

I would guess the obesity problem is more just eating fast food, than using the drive through, but to each their own.
Maybe this and maybe that. All kinds of ways to deny the reality.

They are addicted to not moving and eating high energy food. This is WHY there is an obesity epidemic, with all the resulting diseases.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:24 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post

They are addicted to not moving and eating high energy food. This is WHY there is an obesity epidemic, with all the resulting diseases.

Well thank god you have solved this dilemma. Petition of do away with drive-through windows and weight problems will be solved!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-10-2024, 08:25 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:

You dismiss other people's comments as speculative, but think your unsupported judgements are gospel.
Why don't you work toward improving yourself instead of judging others?

Old 04-10-2024, 08:34 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Convenience has become a core American value and convenience foods are a big part of it---fast food, ultraprocessed food, prepared food delivery. People have low energy from consuming these poor nutrition foods/drinks which create a vicious cycle of inactivity. Also, these foods trigger brain reward pathways and cause cravings to eat more. They could modify their diets, but most won't.

I dunno. I have zero desire for another visit to Sonic. I think the people who are triggered have poor self control to begin with.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:43 AM

We will have fast food like twice a year (when no other options).

1) it will both taste good, and disgusting, and usually both of us end up with upset stomachs after.
2) DH will usually get a meal, orders diet coke and I will take a couple drinks off it. I do not drink soda the rest of the year, but as soon as I have some, I crave it.

The food is definitely engineered to make you want more of it. I don't because it makes me feel vaguely ill, it is not nutrient dense, and it has too many calories, but still, I can see why it's a problem.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:51 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
It is well known that you should get up every once in a while from sitting. This is not to burn calories. Every animal knows this. Well except humans on the drive through line.

The same is true of remote controls. As you sit watching TV hour after hour, you would naturally want to get up once in a while. No need, you have a remote. They should invent something so the fridge comes to you and you never have to get up.
I don't know why you think people in drive-thru lines have been sitting for a long time. Most are picking up food on the way to home or work, not in the middle of a road trip.

This is a silly thread filled with all sorts of wild assumptions and misunderstandings. No one is less likely to be obese because they walked fifteen feet into McDonald's instead of going through the drive-thru.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:56 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
I try not to judge people. But since I hate to see people suffer if they don't have to--I sure wish that people would eat whole foods and exercise.

So many diseases could be prevented -- or lessened--if they did.

A drive-through fast food meal won't kill anyone if on a rare occasion, but as a steady diet? Not so good. And not inexpensive, either.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:59 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Yes at least half of Americans are addicted. They have low energy so become physically lazy, and try to get energy from sugary energy drinks.

There is a simple way out of the addictive cycle -- avoid sugar, and exercise even if you don't feel like it.
Avoiding added sugars would be a good start. That means avoiding ultraprocessed foods, fast foods, etc., which many people just won't do. Americans are overfed and undernourished because the average person's diet is primarily ultraprocessed, nutritionally-deficient junk. It's known as the Western diet.

The latest I've seen is that 72% of Americans over the age of 20 are overweight or obese. They are the majority and I suspect they will continue to pretend the reason for this is a mystery. They are just protecting their interests, I guess.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:00 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I try not to judge people. But since I hate to see people suffer if they don't have to--I sure wish that people would eat whole foods and exercise.

So many diseases could be prevented -- or lessened--if they did.

A drive-through fast food meal won't kill anyone if on a rare occasion, but as a steady diet? Not so good. And not inexpensive, either.
Keep in mind that we aren't even talking about eating fast food. Obviously that is unhealthy and should be done in strict moderation. We're talking about using the drive-thru versus walking inside.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Keep in mind that we aren't even talking about eating fast food. Obviously that is unhealthy and should be done in strict moderation. We're talking about using the drive-thru versus walking inside.
If one gets so little exercise that walking into a fast food restaurant constitutes exercise... a whole other problem.

I'll use the Starbucks or Walgreen's drive-through if it's available (or any other drive through), because it's convenient, but I get at a minimum, 30 minutes of heavy cardio daily, or more. I also park at the back of parking lots, not to get in more exercise, but because it is more convenient than battling cars trying to park right outside the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness