Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 10:03 AM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Cancer... maybe, maybe not. SOME cancers might be the result of unhealthy lifestyle choices, but many are not, or at least they aren't/ weren't consciously unhealthy choices. My ex has a form of cancer from years of breathing noxious paint fumes, before it was widely know how damaging those fumes were.
This. People like to forget that cancers do pop up in "healthy" people. Some lethal mutation was lurking in their DNA waiting to express itself. Some don't even have that genetic component. For some cancers, the majority of newly diagnosed patients didn't have any higher hereditary risk than anyone else. Somewhere some switch got flipped and voila, a malignant process began. Their lifestyle had little to nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 11:05 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This. People like to forget that cancers do pop up in "healthy" people. ..
Yes they do.

A google search shows a few sources stating that preventable cancer cases constitute approximately 30-50%, so there are still a significant number considered to be diet/lifestyle related.

Of course, pain isn't always associated with cancers even if death is the result.

Old 04-09-2024, 02:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
This (though obviously if you're writing this post you didn't die from your cancer and can't say with any certainty how painful that was ). Hopefully you never find out!
Good point, and thanks!

Old 04-09-2024, 06:05 PM

2,637 posts, read 1,173,205 times
Quote:
This. People like to forget that cancers do pop up in "healthy" people. Some lethal mutation was lurking in their DNA waiting to express itself. Some don't even have that genetic component. For some cancers, the majority of newly diagnosed patients didn't have any higher hereditary risk than anyone else. Somewhere some switch got flipped and voila, a malignant process began. Their lifestyle had little to nothing to do with it.
This happened to a cousin of mine. She fought it for years until it reached her brain
I only know of two relatives that had cancer and both did not live a healthy lifestyle before getting the cancer. I swear they never so much as ate broccoli before getting diagnosed.

I have cousins that were thin as children and in early teens then all of a sudden they went to extreme weight gain without even having any children or changing their diet. My youngest cousin was so afraid it would happen to her she was extremely careful not to gain weight but then it happened right around the same age. It is very strange to me but that is what happened to them. Both of their parents were very overweight too, actually obese, so I can't help but think it is sometimes hereditary.

Old 04-09-2024, 06:56 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,209,296 times
I wish that was true as I live a pretty healthy lifestyle, but like others have said it def doesnt guarantee a painless death.

Old 04-09-2024, 08:39 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,346,284 times
No.

But if you are in pain while dying, you should not be.

Liquid morphine is offered now - if you are in hospice care, at least.

You should not feel pain once you are taking that. Nowadays there is no reason to die suffering in pain. You may at first - for a bit - but ask for medication.

(You can live as healthy as you can, be as thin as you want to be - and you will never be able to prevent every disease. And not just talking about cancers, there are many other painful diseases you can die from. My dad had rheumatoid arthritis for many, many years of his life, talk about suffering - and he was never fat a day in his life, athletic, a sailing champion... It allowed him to develop lung disease which eventually killed him... no, he didn't smoke.)

Last edited by Jellybean50; 04-09-2024 at 08:47 PM..

Old 04-09-2024, 08:47 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Poor people are likely to die more painful deaths.

Old 04-10-2024, 03:09 AM

3,171 posts, read 1,272,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Poor people are likely to die more painful deaths.
Why?

Old 04-10-2024, 09:41 AM

140 posts, read 166,583 times
[quote=Jellybean50;66626737]No.

"You should not feel pain once you are taking that. Nowadays there is no reason to die suffering in pain. You may at first - for a bit - but ask for medication."

It's a myth that all pain is treatable. There is cancer pain (and other types) that morphine won't touch. This is why there is a movement to allow assisted death. Also with the legal system being what it is, doctors are often afraid to give too much morphine, so people are left in severe pain for however long it takes for them to die.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:45 AM

140 posts, read 166,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grandeur View Post
Why?
Because our society blames and has contempt for poor people. Their requests for pain relief aren't taken seriously and there is an element of wanting to punish them. There are lots of studies on this. It's pretty frightening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness