Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 07:04 AM

22,333 posts, read 19,282,796 times

Advertisements

stop drinking.
a boss of mine, healthy and in her early 40s, fit and running marathons, suddenly developed severe reaction to alcohol. she recognized with alarm she had to give it up.

your health and family matter more than consuming liquor.
also even in the short span of this small thread, the resistance and defensiveness about liquor consumption ("me thinks thou dost protest too much") indicates that yes it is a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 09:21 AM

4,962 posts, read 2,246,951 times
I followed up with my neurologist last Monday. She has ordered a Holter monitor, carotid ultrasound, and echocardiogram along with several labs. I followed up with my PCP mid-week. More labs are forthcoming pending the results of the aforementioned tests.

My wife urged me to purchase an Apple Watch for fall detection and other health benefits. Interestingly enough, I felt a little flutter in my chest this morning. It's not new, but extremely rare. I took an ECG with Apple Watch and my heart rate was elevated and AFib was detected (first time for AFib). This has continued for about for nearly two hours. My PCP scheduled an appointment for at lunch to run some tests.

I probably shouldn't be surprised since my grandpa, Dad, uncle, and daughter have been treated for AFib and anxiety. Family traditions and such.

Old 04-16-2024, 02:58 PM

7,296 posts, read 5,173,859 times
There you go-- you have an abnormal cardiac conduction system. CAD &/or valve disease needs to be needs to be ruled out.

An abnormal conduction system can result in simple a fib- easy enough to treat, but the syncopal attack suggests it may be a more comp!icsted situation, possibly including episodes of extreme tachy (fast) or Brady (slow) HR s, V tach/V fib episodes or complete heart block, which may require pacemaker implantation.

As a student, I invented a very small, very powerful battery for cardiac pacemakers, but I naively sold the rights to Sears for just the royalties. It turned out to be a marketing bust...Nobody would buy a pacemaker battery called a Die Hard.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:59 PM

5,721 posts, read 4,310,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
There you go-- you have an abnormal cardiac conduction system. CAD &/or valve disease needs to be needs to be ruled out.

An abnormal conduction system can result in simple a fib- easy enough to treat, but the syncopal attack suggests it may be a more comp!icsted situation, possibly including episodes of extreme tachy (fast) or Brady (slow) HR s, V tach/V fib episodes or complete heart block, which may require pacemaker implantation.

As a student, I invented a very small, very powerful battery for cardiac pacemakers, but I naively sold the rights to Sears for just the royalties. It turned out to be a marketing bust...Nobody would buy a pacemaker battery called a Die Hard.

No but they'd buy it if it was an ED pill

Old 04-16-2024, 10:07 PM

33,568 posts, read 37,185,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Perhaps it is the battery you invented in my pacemaker. If so thank you, as it is good for ten years.

Old 04-18-2024, 11:18 AM

I was in AFib for a little over 8 hours. The nurse gave me an injection that instantly lowered my heart rate to normal, but it also lowered my BP to a concerning level. I remained in AFib for another 20-30 minutes or so before returning to a normal rhythm, narrowly avoiding a cardioversion. All in all, a fun sleepover in the hospital.

Long story short, the cardiologist believes that the loss of consciousness may have been, in part, provoked by a medication that has a diuretic component. He, working with my soon-to-be new PCP, significantly reduced the number of medications that I have been taking and added metoprolol.

He also recommended a few lifestyle changes, most of which I was already doing so it looks like things are heading in the right direction.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:40 PM

14,974 posts, read 12,188,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
I was in AFib for a little over 8 hours. The nurse gave me an injection that instantly lowered my heart rate to normal, but it also lowered my BP to a concerning level. I remained in AFib for another 20-30 minutes or so before returning to a normal rhythm, narrowly avoiding a cardioversion. All in all, a fun sleepover in the hospital.

Long story short, the cardiologist believes that the loss of consciousness may have been, in part, provoked by a medication that has a diuretic component. He, working with my soon-to-be new PCP, significantly reduced the number of medications that I have been taking and added metoprolol.

He also recommended a few lifestyle changes, most of which I was already doing so it looks like things are heading in the right direction.
Glad to hear that. I'm just wondering if your cardiologist also started you on a blood-thinner ( ie, Eliquis or Xarelto) because of the A-Fib? That would be to lower the risk of A-Fib related stroke due to a clot forming in the atrium during A-Fib, and possibly migrating to the brain. Though this isn't needed for everyone with A-Fib depending on their other risk factors for stroke. If you're relatively young and don't have high blood pressure, history of strokes or TIAs, are not diabetic, you might not need a blood thinner.

I find metoprolol does a great job of controlling my heart-rate ( A-Fib and other SVT)

Hope all goes well with you!

Old 04-18-2024, 01:43 PM

14,974 posts, read 12,188,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Perhaps it is the battery you invented in my pacemaker. If so thank you, as it is good for ten years.

Die Hard minnies- the regular size batteries would take up quite a bit of real estate inside your chest. Can you imagine?

Old 04-18-2024, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Glad to hear that. I'm just wondering if your cardiologist also started you on a blood-thinner ( ie, Eliquis or Xarelto) because of the A-Fib? That would be to lower the risk of A-Fib related stroke due to a clot forming in the atrium during A-Fib, and possibly migrating to the brain. Though this isn't needed for everyone with A-Fib depending on their other risk factors for stroke. If you're relatively young and don't have high blood pressure, history of strokes or TIAs, are not diabetic, you might not need a blood thinner.

I find metoprolol does a great job of controlling my heart-rate ( A-Fib and other SVT)

Hope all goes well with you!
I have high blood pressure (due to TBI - long story) but it's managed. It has also steadily improved since the accident that led to its onset. But based on my current risk factors, he started me with Aspirin. Also, he reduced my normal BP med dosage by 3/4ths and took me off Propranolol.

I don't know if I can ever completely come off BP meds due to brain damage, but this experienced has motivated me to make better health choices and come off as many meds as possible.

Old 05-02-2024, 06:39 PM

It's been 15 days since I was released from the hospital. I enabled AFib history on my watch and thus far it appears that I have not had a reoccurrence. I have had two experiences where if felt as if my heart was racing. The ECG app showed strange lines both times, but AFib was not detected and my heart rate was in the 60s. I am still wearing the Holter monitor and I alerted the monitoring team on both occasions.

Aside from that, I've cut out booze and unhealthy foods. I've significantly lowered my carb intake. In addition to healthy meats and veggies, I've added plant protein, collagen peptides, electrolytes, probiotics, fiber, and vital greens to my diet. I am working out 3-4 times a week, including significant stretching and core strengthening routines. I've also been running 2-3 miles, 3-4 times per week (about 30% of that is fast walking). And in between that, my wife and I walk 1.5 - 2 miles 2-3 times a week.

I've lost 6lbs since my hospital stay, and 11 since early March. So far, I feel better than I have in 5-6 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness