Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 02:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times

Advertisements

What do they do when I cut them with my pruners, chain saw, or put their branches in my chipper-shredded. I also do bonsai, wire, bend and grind trees, currently I have about 40, as old as 160 years but just 20" high..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 03:38 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
People scream for help from other people.

Animals scream to raise an alarm to danger.

What posible scientific pupose could screaming serve in plants? Are they going to rescue each other? Are they going to uproot and run from danger? Do they scream for their favorite movie stars?

Plants don't have ears. How do they "hear" the "screams" of other plants in distress.

I am not saying that plants don't generate noise when they are stressed. I have no basis not to believe the study. I am just saying it is wasted grant money to study something this stupid and the article author is sensationalizing the study when they use the term "scream". It is BS. It is stupid. Only somebody stupid would believe that plants "scream". They don't have ears and it serves no useful purpose.
If you had actually read anything, you would know that researchers say the noises made by plants are analagous to human screams. What possible purposes could this serve in plants? If you had made any effort whatsoever, you would know what scientists say about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
The vegan philosophy is not to starve yourself, but to try to live a lifestyle that causes the least possible harm. It's not about perfection.
No, that is your philosophy, not 'the' vegan philosophy. It seems that every vegan and vegetarian creates his own philosophy and 'degrees' of veganism and vegetarianism in which he will participate.

Old 04-05-2024, 03:46 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,207,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
If you had actually read anything, you would know that researchers say the noises made by plants are analagous to human screams. What possible purposes could this serve in plants? If you had made any effort whatsoever, you would know what scientists say about that.

No, that is your philosophy, not 'the' vegan philosophy. It seems that every vegan and vegetarian creates his own philosophy and 'degrees' of veganism and vegetarianism in which he will participate.
I’m sorry you’ve experienced clouded explanations of what veganism is. This site breaks it down pretty well:

https://www.vegansociety.com/go-vega...ition-veganism

"Veganism is a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, humans and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals“

Vegetarian is a diet preference. Veganism is a philosophy. A plant based diet is an extension of that philosophy.

Old 04-05-2024, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
I’m sorry you’ve experienced clouded explanations of what veganism is. This site breaks it down pretty well:

https://www.vegansociety.com/go-vega...ition-veganism

"Veganism is a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, humans and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals“

Vegetarian is a diet preference. Veganism is a philosophy. A plant based diet is an extension of that philosophy.
Oh, so it's no longer living beings/organisms. Just animals. So it's acceptable to exploit other living organisms. How convenient and hypocritical. Just like individuals, organizations vary in definitions also.

Old 04-05-2024, 04:41 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,207,993 times
Quote:
Oh, so it's no longer living beings/organisms. Just animals. So it's acceptable to exploit other living organisms. How convenient and hypocritical. Just like individuals, organizations vary in definitions also.

It's actually a pretty straightforward concept. If you actually read the link you might grasp it, but based on your responses it seems you're not really interested in learning anything.

Old 04-05-2024, 04:45 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:

I am mocking the author of the article, not the study's author. The study never uses the word "scream". The writer of the article used "scream" in the title to sensationalize the story. He is a jerk for doing that. I am mocking him and you for falling for it.

Would you ever have made this thread using the study's actual title, "Sounds emitted by plants under stress are airborne and informative"? Nobody would have bothered to respond beyond, "uh, OK."

Old 04-05-2024, 04:53 PM

813 posts, read 441,413 times
Quote:
From the article:

"Sorry vegetarians, we're afraid we've got some news that you're probably not going to like ...

Plants emit sounds akin to 'screams' when they're distressed, according to a new study."

More https://www.indy100.com/science-tech...udy-2667693092

Well, this is gonna put a dent in Tofu sales for sure. Glad I sold the stock....

Old 04-05-2024, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am mocking the author of the article, not the study's author. The study never uses the word "scream". The writer of the article used "scream" in the title to sensationalize the story. He is a jerk for doing that. I am mocking him and you for falling for it.

Would you ever have made this thread using the study's actual title, "Sounds emitted by plants under stress are airborne and informative"? Nobody would have bothered to respond beyond, "uh, OK."
Are you saying you didn't understand that scream was used in quotes to denote referential meaning? Countless authors used scream in quotes as a referential in articles about this research That is not sensationalizing or a jerk move.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:26 PM

1,022 posts, read 737,876 times
Shhhh..... I think I just heard the apple tree too

do you suppose fruit trees also.........

Old 04-05-2024, 09:29 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Are you saying you didn't understand that scream was used in quotes to denote referential meaning? Countless authors used scream in quotes as a referential in articles about this research That is not sensationalizing or a jerk move.
I am saying the study authors did not use the term scream AT ALL, but the jerk article author did and...

oh, sorry. I got distracted for a second by the screaming tree outside as it was being nibbled on by birds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness