Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 10:33 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
"Well, Clarice, have the zucchini stopped screaming yet?"
My wife has to wear earplugs when she walks into the garden with harvest baskets.

She said the carrots are the toughest. They put up a good fight and don't go quietly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 10:35 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Apparently some strict fruitarians only eat parts of a plant that naturally fall, or would fall, from a plant (fruits, nuts, seeds), to avoid harming the plant. It's a risky nutritional choice and I wouldn't do it, but I can respect that they are not hypocrites about respecting all life forms.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:49 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My wife has to wear earplugs when she walks into the garden with harvest baskets.

She said the carrots are the toughest. They put up a good fight and don't go quietly.
Ahhh,,how awful. "The Screaming of the Carrots".

Old 04-05-2024, 10:54 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This gives new meaning to the "Stomping of the Divots". I suppose all that grass is hollering too.

Old 04-05-2024, 11:46 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
"The Silence of the Roots"

Old 04-05-2024, 01:52 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
It takes 3000 cal worth of corn, rice & beans to provide the 60gm of complete protein needed daily by a human. That can be supplied by 6oz of beef. There are 1200 6 oz servings from one steer. One steer needs about one acre of grass per year. How many acres of corn, rice & beans does it take to feed 1200 servings? Do the math.

We can t digest cellulose, so most of the calories in plants pass right thru us. Plants generally supply less than 10% of the RDA of any given min or vit, hence the advice to eat 8-10 servings of fruits & veggies each day. Beef, OTOH-- supplies 25% and more of most of those nutrients.Look it up on any nutritional values site.

If you're sharp, you'll see one fallacy/weakness in my argument-- that 6oz of beef supplies only 500 cal, so you'll need to supplement your beef diet with plant sourced calories. We are, after all, omnivores and need a balanced diet.

And then there's the argument that getting rid of meat animals will save the planet. That's advocated by people who have absolutely no idea of how crops are grown. How many passes of a fuel hungry tractor does it take to bring a crop from seed to harvest?....Most of a steer's diet is low maintenance grass, requiring virtually no fossil fuel at all.
Obviously they have no idea because farming plants also contradicts the vegan philosophy of abstaining from anything that requires exploitation of other living organisms. I don't know how they reconcile the hypocrisy in their minds.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:04 PM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Not all peer groups are crated equally, not all scientific journals are worthy of respect.
From 1995-2005, articles in the journal 'Cell' received an average of 161.5 citations per article, making it the most influential academic journal across all disciplines during that time period. It's still #1 for influence in biochemistry/molecular biology. This was the wrong time to appeal to the source's credibility, or lack thereof

Old 04-05-2024, 02:13 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

Yeah, no living thing wants to be eaten or destroyed, and plants can't run away from you.

D
Right.

Tell me grasses don't thrive and grow faster when they are eaten down by animals like cows, as long as they are not eaten to the roots the way goats do.

Tell me trees don't thrive and bloom better when they are pruned.

Plants being eaten by animals enhances their species.

How Plants May Benefit from the Animals That Eat Them

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3544430

Old 04-05-2024, 02:14 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,207,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Obviously they have no idea because farming plants also contradicts the vegan philosophy of abstaining from anything that requires exploitation of other living organisms. I don't know how they reconcile the hypocrisy in their minds.

The vegan philosophy is not to starve yourself, but to try to live a lifestyle that causes the least possible harm. It's not about perfection.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:16 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
People scream for help from other people.

Animals scream to raise an alarm to danger.

What posible scientific pupose could screaming serve in plants? Are they going to rescue each other? Are they going to uproot and run from danger? Do they scream for their favorite movie stars?

Plants don't have ears. How do they "hear" the "screams" of other plants in distress.

I am not saying that plants don't generate noise when they are stressed. I have no basis not to believe the study. I am just saying it is wasted grant money to study something this stupid and the article author is sensationalizing the study when they use the term "scream". It is BS. It is stupid. Only somebody stupid would believe that plants "scream". They don't have ears and it serves no useful purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness