Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 06:30 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
The study was published in Cell, a peer-reviewed scientific journal. Link to this study is in the article.

Not all peer groups are crated equally, not all scientific journals are worthy of respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 07:28 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Bottom line is that NO living thing wants to be eaten, so just eat what you want. I believe in the Native American approach; that you live lightly on the land, take only what you need, and give thanks to the plants and the animals for being your dinner.

Old 04-04-2024, 09:29 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
A while back we were driving through the Midwest and passed some farms. Had to turn the radio way up just to drown out the blood curdling screams from the corn. I'll never eat corn again.

Old 04-05-2024, 06:15 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
A while back we were driving through the Midwest and passed some farms. Had to turn the radio way up just to drown out the blood curdling screams from the corn. I'll never eat corn again.

Snort! I just spit out my Dr Pepper.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:12 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Not all peer groups are crated equally, not all scientific journals are worthy of respect.
If you are alleging that Cell is not a prestigious journal with high standards and rigorous peer review, please support the allegation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I wonder what the meat industry paid to circulate that?
I wonder why you are trying to mislead readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Not buying it. Plants lack a brain. They can't feel. They can't scream.

I don't believe for a second that blades of grass scream to each other when I mow the lawn.

More junk science. What a waste of grant money - like most grant money.
You could do us all a great service by scientifically debunking the research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Bottom line is that NO living thing wants to be eaten, so just eat what you want. I believe in the Native American approach; that you live lightly on the land, take only what you need, and give thanks to the plants and the animals for being your dinner.
Yeah, no living thing wants to be eaten or destroyed, and plants can't run away from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Now that was funny!

Old 04-05-2024, 08:22 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I KNEW it, the shivering horror and terror that poor Plants must experience when they think about their nightmarish-ending...and the actual pain, suffering and agony they go through when being killed, so awful.

At least as someone who mainly eats meat, I know that animals are not put-down is such a horrible manner, it is usually quick, with limited pain.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:30 AM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
From the article:

"Sorry vegetarians, we're afraid we've got some news that you're probably not going to like ...

Plants emit sounds akin to 'screams' when they're distressed, according to a new study."

More https://www.indy100.com/science-tech...udy-2667693092

This was covered in detail in an episode of 'lost in space' (they could not get thru filming because Jonathan Harris' Dr Zachary Smith ad libbing was too funny) and of course an episode of Start Trek where the 'corn puffs; made Mr spock enter the most disturbing love scenes ever filmed.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:40 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
You have a source for that?
It takes 3000 cal worth of corn, rice & beans to provide the 60gm of complete protein needed daily by a human. That can be supplied by 6oz of beef. There are 1200 6 oz servings from one steer. One steer needs about one acre of grass per year. How many acres of corn, rice & beans does it take to feed 1200 servings? Do the math.

We can t digest cellulose, so most of the calories in plants pass right thru us. Plants generally supply less than 10% of the RDA of any given min or vit, hence the advice to eat 8-10 servings of fruits & veggies each day. Beef, OTOH-- supplies 25% and more of most of those nutrients.Look it up on any nutritional values site.

If you're sharp, you'll see one fallacy/weakness in my argument-- that 6oz of beef supplies only 500 cal, so you'll need to supplement your beef diet with plant sourced calories. We are, after all, omnivores and need a balanced diet.

And then there's the argument that getting rid of meat animals will save the planet. That's advocated by people who have absolutely no idea of how crops are grown. How many passes of a fuel hungry tractor does it take to bring a crop from seed to harvest?....Most of a steer's diet is low maintenance grass, requiring virtually no fossil fuel at all.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:13 AM

6,785 posts, read 4,224,158 times
"Well, Clarice, have the zucchini stopped screaming yet?"

Old 04-05-2024, 10:30 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,207,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
It takes 3000 cal worth of corn, rice & beans to provide the 60gm of complete protein needed daily by a human. That can be supplied by 6oz of beef. There are 1200 6 oz servings from one steer. One steer needs about one acre of grass per year. How many acres of corn, rice & beans does it take to feed 1200 servings? Do the math.

We can t digest cellulose, so most of the calories in plants pass right thru us. Plants generally supply less than 10% of the RDA of any given min or vit, hence the advice to eat 8-10 servings of fruits & veggies each day. Beef, OTOH-- supplies 25% and more of most of those nutrients.Look it up on any nutritional values site.

If you're sharp, you'll see one fallacy/weakness in my argument-- that 6oz of beef supplies only 500 cal, so you'll need to supplement your beef diet with plant sourced calories. We are, after all, omnivores and need a balanced diet.

And then there's the argument that getting rid of meat animals will save the planet. That's advocated by people who have absolutely no idea of how crops are grown. How many passes of a fuel hungry tractor does it take to bring a crop from seed to harvest?....Most of a steer's diet is low maintenance grass, requiring virtually no fossil fuel at all.

You didn't show me a source. You copied and pasted something you probably read on a pro meat blog.

If we "need a balanced" diet then how are there millions of vegans?

My original post was in response to the fact that the article implied vegans are hurting plants ( A dubious contention given plants have no central nervous system, but whatever) .

Source:https://health.howstuffworks.com/wel...egetarians.htm

Eat all the meat you want , but to claim vegans are responsible for more "plant deaths" is something Ted Nugent would say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness