Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 09:38 PM

578 posts, read 303,251 times

Advertisements

I’ve been diagnosed for cataracts in both eyes but due to life complications with a souse who is now deceased I have n appointment with a new eye dr to reasses and do surgery this summer. I am over 66 and have an Aetna Medicare advantage plan. Help me prepare for why I recall for my wife was decisions about lenses. I have challenges long and close distance now. Use to be more a long distance with a stignatism when I last updated glasses pre Covid.

Thanks in advance. I know technology moves pretty fast these days and didn’t see a recent post helpful on this topic today.

Last edited by elnina; 04-02-2024 at 12:40 AM..

Old 03-24-2024, 04:37 AM

424 posts, read 580,511 times
I was 80 when I had cararacts surgey on both eyes(2 years ago vision was about 20/300+ in both eyes), I opted for distance in both eyes vs distance/ close. After surgery my right eye is 20/50 and left eye is 20/40. This alows me to drive without glasses. I started having cloudy vision in my right eye and it finally got to the point that I had to have Yag lazer treatment to correct the condition this year. This condition is normal and they expect either one or both eyes to develop it. No additional cost because it was covered in the original cost. Problem was resolved and it was a simple operation, took about 15min.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:24 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,025,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
I was 80 when I had cararacts surgey on both eyes(2 years ago vision was about 20/300+ in both eyes), I opted for distance in both eyes vs distance/ close. After surgery my right eye is 20/50 and left eye is 20/40. This alows me to drive without glasses. I started having cloudy vision in my right eye and it finally got to the point that I had to have Yag lazer treatment to correct the condition this year. This condition is normal and they expect either one or both eyes to develop it. No additional cost because it was covered in the original cost. Problem was resolved and it was a simple operation, took about 15min.
Except for the fact that I was 69 when I had cataract surgery, and I had the type where an incision is made in the eye rather than the laser technique, my experience was exactly this. I don't need glasses for driving, watching TV, looking at the view out our window, etc. I need them for reading, which isn't a problem for me as I've worn glasses since fourth grade and would feel strange without them.

I also know a friend who had the distance/close correction and she loves not having to wear glasses. But insurance does not cover the entire cost for the distance/close lenses.

Old 03-24-2024, 12:35 PM

424 posts, read 580,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Except for the fact that I was 69 when I had cataract surgery, and I had the type where an incision is made in the eye rather than the laser technique, my experience was exactly this. I don't need glasses for driving, watching TV, looking at the view out our window, etc. I need them for reading, which isn't a problem for me as I've worn glasses since fourth grade and would feel strange without them.

I also know a friend who had the distance/close correction and she loves not having to wear glasses. But insurance does not cover the entire cost for the distance/close lenses.
She must not have Medicare Part A&B because Medicare covers all cataract surgey except for more advanced implants; which I do not think near/far lenses are considered "advanced" like toric
https://www.medicarefaq.com/faqs/doe...aract-surgery/
Does Medicare Pay For Monovision Cataract Surgery?
If you’re suffering from conditions in which monovision cataract surgery is medically necessary, your Medicare benefits will cover the procedure. Monovision occurs when your dominant eye is corrected to view things at a distance while your opposite eye is corrected to help view objects nearer to you. However, each eye can receive the opposite treatment as well.

Last edited by zed42; 03-24-2024 at 12:46 PM..

Old 03-24-2024, 02:53 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,621,554 times
OP,
There is a recent thread re Cataracts over in the Retirement forum you may want to read . It has 19 posts at https://www.city-data.com/forum/reti...t-surgery.html

Old 03-27-2024, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
She must not have Medicare Part A&B because Medicare covers all cataract surgey except for more advanced implants; which I do not think near/far lenses are considered "advanced" like toric
https://www.medicarefaq.com/faqs/doe...aract-surgery/
Does Medicare Pay For Monovision Cataract Surgery?
If you’re suffering from conditions in which monovision cataract surgery is medically necessary, your Medicare benefits will cover the procedure. Monovision occurs when your dominant eye is corrected to view things at a distance while your opposite eye is corrected to help view objects nearer to you. However, each eye can receive the opposite treatment as well.
Sure she had both but the nicer lens cost us about $4k. Sounds like that hasn’t changed. I recall the more expensive lens was on the eye he used for seeing distance.

Old 04-01-2024, 06:36 PM

I recall a nest lens cost about $4k for one eye for my wife. She was use to using one eye for near vision and the other for far vision after doing so for decades with contacts. I’ve never done that so will getting the best quality lens be recommended for both eyes and about $8k or 4k per eye?

Old 04-02-2024, 12:26 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
I recall a nest lens cost about $4k for one eye for my wife. She was use to using one eye for near vision and the other for far vision after doing so for decades with contacts. I’ve never done that so will getting the best quality lens be recommended for both eyes and about $8k or 4k per eye?
The so called premium lenses are much more expensive but they are not the "best" choice for many people. People could have night glare problems with the premium multi focal lenses.

The basic lenses are monofocal lenses. One has a choice of distance, intermediate or near focus. Most people get the distance lens and need reading glasses. A small minority of people pick a near focus monofocal lens for reading and use glasses for driving.

Uday Devgan is one of the best sources of info on lens choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OADYT24aU8c

Here is a paper with more details. I would never choose a multifocal lens because it might compromise my night driving abitlity.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7511318/

"However, many studies have reported that multifocal lenses compromise contrast sensitivity and night-time driving with unwanted subjective phenomena, such as halos, glare and starbursts"

Old 04-06-2024, 09:34 AM

2,147 posts, read 3,590,722 times
I am 78 years old. You don't need special lenses to be able to throw away your glasses. My eye doctor told me I would not be happy with the near/close lenses. So I got a lens for my left eye for close up and a lens for the right eye for distance. There should be no extra cost for this with medicare. I am not wearing glasses as I type this. The text on my laptop is perfectly sharp. I am also more than fine to drive without glasses. Interestingly as worthless as the left eye is for distance vision with the right eye closed, it still contributes to distance vision somewhat. Similarly the right eye worthless on its own for close up contributes to what the left eye does up close.

I have bifocals but they are to get the ultimate last few percent of my vision potential and I could function quite reasonably without them. I went a step further with the bifocals with one side "reading" optimized for super close, the other side for 2-3 feet away like instrument cluster on my car.

I have no idea why everybody does not use this option.

Old 04-06-2024, 10:28 AM

2,147 posts, read 3,590,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
The so called premium lenses are much more expensive but they are not the "best" choice for many people. People could have night glare problems with the premium multi focal lenses.

The basic lenses are monofocal lenses. One has a choice of distance, intermediate or near focus. Most people get the distance lens and need reading glasses. A small minority of people pick a near focus monofocal lens for reading and use glasses for driving.

Uday Devgan is one of the best sources of info on lens choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OADYT24aU8c

Here is a paper with more details. I would never choose a multifocal lens because it might compromise my night driving abitlity.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7511318/

"However, many studies have reported that multifocal lenses compromise contrast sensitivity and night-time driving with unwanted subjective phenomena, such as halos, glare and starbursts"

I mentioned the multi-focal lenses to my eye doctor and he immediately shut me down: "You won't like them." And see my other post, there is indeed a much better way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness