Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2024, 09:45 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times

Advertisements

I posted before about my scalp being very itchy and hair loss but cannot find the post

Since then have tried topical steroids, perscribed by my dermotologist...I've suffered with this for years now.

The topical steroids, both had alcohol in them which made it worse. So, she suggested I stop the steroids, and get a scalp biopsy...

I also found out that most, and I do mean most shampoos have a chemical in them which makes them lather up nicely called "Sodium Lauryl Sulfate" a chemical which causes hair loss.....it is a chemical used in common household cleaning products and SLS can cause severe skin irritation and there's a higher rate of contact allergy to it. Due to its oil- and skin-stripping properties, it may clog pores and cause acne for people with sensitive or acne-prone skin. The World Health Organization (WHO) has detailed several warnings about SLS.

It is so important to read labels b/c even though some shampoos CLAIM to be Sulfate and Paraben free, if I turned over the shampoo and read the labels, they lied...(Parabens are man-made chemicals often used in small amounts as preservatives in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, foods, and beverages. Common parabens are methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, and butylparaben. Often more than one paraben is used in a single product)

So in lieu of the scalp biopsy I'm trying this which has gifted some relief...

This is not a cure, but it's helping for me.

Aveeno puts out several shampoos that are all natural with no sulfates in them and I have been using...after shampooing I place a mix of apple cidar vinegar and water, (50/50) in a spray bottle and spray it on my scalp while in the shower, message it in, then rinse out....

At night for a month, every night I've been using the following.

African Pride Moisture Miracle (which consists of Castor oil, grapeseed oil, argan oil, coconut oil and olive oil), and squeeze some into the palm of my hand, and on top of it I add 3 drops of Caster oil, and message it into my scalp...yes, it's greasy, but it works, and sooths the itch, and I did this every single night for a month, and now down to every other night...

In the morning I shampoo as usual, then proceed with the Vinegar and Water.

I figure I was using these crap shampoos for years, and didn't educate myself and do my own research, only to find out that after the damage started, they may have caused the problem.

So for those of you who are still experiencing the problem, this might work for you, or if you've had the problem with relief, please share your experience.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 04:00 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Sodium dodecyl sulfate (what you know as sodium lauryl sulfate) is a common surfactant and foaming agent used in pretty much every category of product that people use for their bodies, and in cleaning their homes. It's also a food additive, and it's probably in your toothpaste. Some people have a sensitivity to it. Most people don't. Using too much of it can cause irritation even if you're not sensitive, because its function is to strip oil and dirt off your skin. But your skin needs sebum, and it strips that too.

Coating your body and hair with grease just gives you greasy hair and skin. It doesn't clean it. You're probably finding relief NOT by slathering grease on your head, but rather, by only shampooing every couple of days instead of every night. Most people shouldn't wash their hair every day, it's not very healthy to do. You've probably given yourself a sensitivity by doing so, up until you stopped.

Also making your head smell like salad dressing isn't doing you any favors.

You can buy shampoos that don't have SDS if you have a sensitivity to it, no need for crazy recipes. You can get them at Ulta, Sephora, Walmart, Target, and pretty much any pharmacy or department store in the country.

Old 03-13-2024, 12:34 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Nah. Oil can help the skin retain moisture, and oil for cleaning is good if you wear (make up) oil based products.

I like in high desert, and I use oil on my body and face, I am neither greasy nor have break outs.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-13-2024, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Sodium dodecyl sulfate (what you know as sodium lauryl sulfate) is a common surfactant and foaming agent used in pretty much every category of product that people use for their bodies, and in cleaning their homes. It's also a food additive, and it's probably in your toothpaste. Some people have a sensitivity to it. Most people don't. Using too much of it can cause irritation even if you're not sensitive, because its function is to strip oil and dirt off your skin. But your skin needs sebum, and it strips that too.

Coating your body and hair with grease just gives you greasy hair and skin. It doesn't clean it. You're probably finding relief NOT by slathering grease on your head, but rather, by only shampooing every couple of days instead of every night. Most people shouldn't wash their hair every day, it's not very healthy to do. You've probably given yourself a sensitivity by doing so, up until you stopped.

Also making your head smell like salad dressing isn't doing you any favors.

You can buy shampoos that don't have SDS if you have a sensitivity to it, no need for crazy recipes. You can get them at Ulta, Sephora, Walmart, Target, and pretty much any pharmacy or department store in the country.
thanks for your input, I've been suffering with this for years, and what I said I do, has helped....
and I don't keep the grease in my hair, longer then overnight....and I message it into my scalp so my whole head is not full of grease...

I have been washing my hair every day b/c I sweat a lot, and need to...and allergies may contribute to it....

Geeze Louise, I could not go a few days without washing my hair....

as far as buying shampoos I now use an app which tells me whats in them and most of them have Sodium Lauryl Sulphate in them in some form or another....but I have found some Aveeno Shampoos and shampoo bars do not...also shampoos with coconut in them.

Old 03-13-2024, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Nah. Oil can help the skin retain moisture, and oil for cleaning is good if you wear (make up) oil based products.

I like in high desert, and I use oil on my body and face, I am neither greasy nor have break outs.
me either, I found an oil that really works great on my face, pumpkin seed oil and has worked wonders. Love it, after I shower message it into my face then get dressed blow dry my hair and it's pretty much absorbed....it's also helped break outs....

I'm all for natural products. Also use a lot of castor oil.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:49 PM

972 posts, read 517,163 times
I wonder if the shampoo people know they're killing off their market using chemicals that may make people's hair fall out? It would seems counter intuitive for growing (sorry, I couldn't help it) their customer base.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:54 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I wonder if the shampoo people know they're killing off their market using chemicals that may make people's hair fall out? It would seems counter intuitive for growing (sorry, I couldn't help it) their customer base.
Its a small percentage of people who have bad reactions to anything
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-17-2024, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
most people in the past have not read labels....there was a class action law suit with one of the shampoos, but cannot remember which one...
Now a days I believe people are growing more and more aware of the damage they put in our products and they are reading labels. I have put an app on my phone, I scan the product and the app tells me what is in the items.

But in answer to your question, I don't believe the cared at the time, b/c people trusted their products were safe if they are on the shelves...but alas, we are finding out they are not.

Old 03-18-2024, 07:45 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
If you want super gentle shampoo try a castile soap or shampoo. I used to use Dr. Bronner's for pretty much everything - hair, body, face, cleaning the sink and toilet, and "delicate" hand-washables.

Ingredients:

Water, Organic Coconut Oil*, Potassium Hydroxide**, Organic Palm Kernel Oil*, Organic Olive Oil*, Mentha Arvensis, Organic Hemp Seed Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Mentha Piperita, Citric Acid, Tocopherol

The potassium hydroxide is also known as lye, which is how soap is made. There's no actual lye left once the soapmaking process is completed, it's a synthesis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness