Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2024, 11:56 PM

23,235 posts, read 29,075,721 times

Advertisements

At one time, only the rich could afford a radio in their house, and neighbors would come over and it became a social event. At one time, maybe only 1 wealthy person in the neighborhood had a TV set, so neighbors would come over to socialize, watch TV together.

Today, ride a public bus and what will you see, riders with their faces in their screens. Go to a bar today, and what will you witness: Bar patrons sitting alone, having a drink, and with their faces in their Smartphones.

I'm now beginning to see why I drive by churches today and see so many cars in the parking lot. One last place to connect with people? I'm an Atheist and I'm considering joining a church just for the Loneliness factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 12:20 AM

61,810 posts, read 87,269,132 times
No friends, no hobbies, no neighbors in community you live? Maybe join a club - play cards or board games, read and discuss books or movies, ride a bike, hike....
Visit an animal shelter - befriend a dog, volunteer, and talk with the staff. Same with veteran organizations, nursing homes, senior centers, adult day care...
What about the retirement community where you live? No club house and activities?
There are so many things one can do and not feel bored or lonely.

Old 03-05-2024, 04:00 AM

23,235 posts, read 29,075,721 times
I'm not one of the lonelier ones, I just brought this up as I've been wading thru some Youtube video's on the Loneliness Epidemic. Loneliness is not confined to senior citizens, it afflicts the young as well as the old.

I live in a 55+ community and I have a few I would call friends, but I'm thinking of expanding my horizons rather than just meeting up with senior citizens in my community.

But I've encountered a number of lonely people.

The last boardgame meeting I organized in my 55+ community ended up in a screaming match, and came close to violence. You do know the cycle of life, diapers to diapers, seniors are nothing more than older children. One woman was convinced we were ganging up on her, she'd get very close to entering her home stretch playing Aggravation, and just as she'd try to enter, one or other of us would knock her off and send her back to Base 1. She threw a hissy fit like you wouldn't believe, screaming and yelling and storming off telling us she'd never play with us again, and another sided with her and joined her. End of the board game meetings. These were women in their late 60's and 70's.

Old 03-05-2024, 10:06 AM

48,549 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Phones are awesome. It stops all those people who try and chat with me, before phones, I used a book for the same thing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-05-2024, 10:16 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,753,976 times
I do agree that churches are a great place for community and long lasting relationships. There's usually different ways you can serve and that's an even better way to connect with people with the same interests.

I think it's good for parents to ensure their children are involved in activities and groups as they're growing up. I have two nephews who were never encouraged to do sports, church, music or clubs. They lead very lonely lives now as adults.

I also think the Covid shutdowns isolated a lot of people who now may find it harder to get involved with others.

Old 03-05-2024, 01:43 PM

5,719 posts, read 4,303,017 times
Modern industrial life is the cause, and the rise of social media exacerbates it. Oh sure there are some people who would find it hard to "socialize" at all without social media, but its mostly a poor substitute for real social life.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-of-loneliness

In the past we didn't have to make an effort to get out and socialize because we were already living with people and depended on others more than we do today. So now we have to make an effort to go out and create a social life by whatever means, whereas before it came to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness