Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 07:37 AM

37,450 posts, read 61,360,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if something is classified as a depressant, a stimulant, a hallucinogen , ....

Who makes up these 'classifications'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 07:40 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
if something is classified as a depressant, a stimulant, a hallucinogen then YES it has harmful effects.
pot falls in that category. all of the above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Who makes up these 'classifications'?
people who are not cognitively impaired in the way potheads are.

article what makes weed a depressant, stimulant, and hallucinogen.

Old 03-08-2024, 07:50 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
also
in addition to asking people who live with a pot user "how does it affect them"
also ask people who quit using pot why they decided to stop using pot.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-08-2024 at 08:00 AM..

Old 03-08-2024, 08:00 AM

Quote:
... article what makes weed a depressant, stimulant, and hallucinogen.
I guess that is an interesting opinion.

Did you have an answer to my question?

Old 03-08-2024, 02:02 PM

383 posts, read 95,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post

One of the big downsides was the munchies. I gained a lot of weight tracking down every cookie I could find in Tucson. This happened w/ the "old" weed too. A friend I had been selling weed to back in the 60's once lamented that he could afford the weed, but couldn't afford the grocery bill!
Interesting. While I feel it enhances the taste of food for me, it's never made me hungry. And over thousands of joints shared with friends, I don't think food has ever had a role, unless incidental. The idea of us wolfing down cookies or ice cream, is completely foreign - different strokes I guess.

A coffee is pretty standard though.

Old 03-08-2024, 03:05 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
also ask people who quit using pot why they decided to stop using pot.
There is a myriad of reasons, most of them mundane and not surprising.
I previously mentioned two of mine.
I suspect most older people quit for health reasons, although some folks seem to enjoy its use pretty much up until the day they die.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:03 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,278,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
Interesting. While I feel it enhances the taste of food for me, it's never made me hungry. And over thousands of joints shared with friends, I don't think food has ever had a role, unless incidental. The idea of us wolfing down cookies or ice cream, is completely foreign - different strokes I guess.

A coffee is pretty standard though.

The munchies are a well known side effect, and one of the most common. So common and so well known it's difficult to conceive of anyone who has hung around it and hasn't heard of it.

Old 03-08-2024, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
The munchies are a well known side effect, and one of the most common. So common and so well known it's difficult to conceive of anyone who has hung around it and hasn't heard of it.
Of course I've heard of it, but in nearly 50 years of smoking pot, I don't think food has ever been a part of it for me, unless incidental. Same for people I know, the notion of sparking up, then bingeing on chips, is just the realm of cliched stoner movies etc.

Like I said, while I feel it enhances flavour, it doesn't make me hungry, never has, and I doubt it ever will.... but I do enjoy a cup of black coffee with it.

Looking at the increasing size of people these days, most of whom don't smoke pot, there are far bigger and more ominous factors at play.

Old 03-08-2024, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
Of course I've heard of it, but in nearly 50 years of smoking pot, I don't think food has ever been a part of it for me, unless incidental. Same for people I know, the notion of sparking up, then bingeing on chips, is just the realm of cliched stoner movies etc.

Like I said, while I feel it enhances flavour, it doesn't make me hungry, never has, and I doubt it ever will.... but I do enjoy a cup of black coffee with it.

Looking at the increasing size of people these days, most of whom don't smoke pot, there are far bigger and more ominous factors at play.
It clearly has different effects on different people.

Like many other natural medicines that the Universe has given us, when used in relative trace concentrations it can be very helpful. But when concentrated it can take on an entirely different persona.

Have you ever heard of anyone who became addicted by eating a poppy flower? If you extract the plant's ovum sap and do a low-tech refinement will give you a range of medicines that our culture has relied on for centuries [Opium, morphine, laudinum]. Refine it again to pure white crystal and a societal beast comes from it.

When I was a teenager in the 1970s, I only had access to marijuana leaves. The effect was intoxicating.
I had to avoid use during my career due to my security clearances, but after my final debriefing, when I looked at it again, the focus shifted to bud trichomes. Now the focus is on expressed resins and a pure crystal chemical.

Commercial breeding has led to strains with much higher THC concentrations AND the leaves are discarded now days.

Old 03-08-2024, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It clearly has different effects on different people.

Like many other natural medicines that the Universe has given us, when used in relative trace concentrations it can be very helpful. But when concentrated it can take on an entirely different persona.

Have you ever heard of anyone who became addicted by eating a poppy flower? If you extract the plant's ovum sap and do a low-tech refinement will give you a range of medicines that our culture has relied on for centuries [Opium, morphine, laudinum]. Refine it again to pure white crystal and a societal beast comes from it.

When I was a teenager in the 1970s, I only had access to marijuana leaves. The effect was intoxicating.
I had to avoid use during my career due to my security clearances, but after my final debriefing, when I looked at it again, the focus shifted to bud trichomes. Now the focus is on expressed resins and a pure crystal chemical.

Commercial breeding has led to strains with much higher THC concentrations AND the leaves are discarded now days.

I associate the munchies with new users or people that don't smoke a lot,. Also plenty of people make a hobby of sitting around eating garbage, so it makes sense that all would come together at times.

Pretty much been an every day smoker apart from army time, or the odd period here and there, and didn't really feel any different for it, that I was aware. I've found food to have a more stupefying effect on me, in situations where my normal diet and eating patterns changed for some reason. I firmly believe that many people's exist in a state of diet stupefaction that can lead to unwise choices being made regarding drugs, alcohol etc.

I just grow and smoke bush, and have never been interested in indoor cultures or higher thc levels, and dislike the increasing profile of pot as a consumer product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness