Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 10:41 AM

5,706 posts, read 4,278,576 times

Advertisements

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5260817/

Tasty THC: Promises and Challenges of Cannabis Edibles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2024, 01:06 PM

37,450 posts, read 61,360,276 times
In the '80s I worked with a lot of chain-smokers. A chain-smoker is one that pulls out his next smoke before the previous smoke is done. They would light their next smoke, from the cherry on the previous smoke. One match could light a dozen cigarettes.

Old 03-03-2024, 01:29 PM

1,196 posts, read 528,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
For what it's worth, I have been a daily user of edibles for nearly eight years, and at 75 I'm in good health with normal BP and no cardiac issues.

The one caveat with edibles is that they are more powerful than smoking, and they can take two hours or more to kick in. When people try edibles and have bad experiences, it's almost always because they didn't notice an effect right away and took more. Or they didn't know the appropriate dosage for a beginner and took too much. 1 to 2.5 mgs. of THC is plenty if you're just starting out. The standard dose in a gummy will be 10 mg., though. That's way too much for most newbies.

The article which mentioned cardiovascular issues was referring to smoking marijuana. Putting any type of combusted material into your lungs - whether cannabis or tobacco - is not going to do your health any good.

I don't agree that all cannabis users believe that it's harmless or that it can cure anything. The truth is that it can cause harm when used inappropriately or in excess. People do become habituated and develop a tolerance.

Research has shown that cannabis can affect brain function in young people whose brains are not yet fully developed. Some people are allergic to cannabis and shouldn't use it at all. Some people say it does nothing for them and some just don't like the feeling of being high. Cannabis is not for everyone.

Yet cannabis can be useful for anxiety, insomnia, pain and some medical conditions such as epilepsy. Just because some people shouldn't use it, that doesn't mean it's bad or that it shouldn't be legal. It's helped a lot of people, including me.

I also use edibles with no ill effects. It's funny how cannabis deniers or whatever you would call them conflate all methods of delivery and how SMOKING isn't highlighted as the thing that is detrimental to your health. It's just common sense that smoking or inhaling anything is not going to be good for your lungs or heart.

Chewing an edible (or taking in other oral form) does not have harmful effects on the body.

Old 03-03-2024, 02:18 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
I..

Chewing an edible (or taking in other oral form) does not have harmful effects on the body.
The jury is still out on that. One of marijuana's biggest proponents, Lester Grinspoon, says that smoking is likely responsible for the harmful effects. More research needs to be done.

OTOH ingesting anything that raises your pulse, as consuming marijuana edibles certainly does, is not ideal for anyone with a compromised cardiovascular system.

Old 03-03-2024, 02:54 PM

1,196 posts, read 528,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
The jury is still out on that. One of marijuana's biggest proponents, Lester Grinspoon, says that smoking is likely responsible for the harmful effects. More research needs to be done.

OTOH ingesting anything that raises your pulse, as consuming marijuana edibles certainly does, is not ideal for anyone with a compromised cardiovascular system.
You are wrong. Cannabis does not "raise your pulse."

The fact you keep referring to the product as "marijuana" shows your ignorance. That term is actually now considered a racist slur. Call it what it is: CANNABIS

Old 03-03-2024, 02:57 PM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

Exercise raises your pulse. Should we all become couch potatoes?

Probably the worst part of smoking (tobacco or otherwise) is the damage done from inhaling the hot gas.

Most users don,t smoke enough dope to cause any health problems, the point Submariner is trying to make.

If you torture the numbers long enough, you can get them to confess to anything. I have to wonder about the "study" in the OP-- how big a dif in outcomes in the users vs non-user groups? I bet it was minute.

Old 03-03-2024, 03:00 PM

37,450 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
... That term is actually now considered a racist slur. Call it what it is: CANNABIS
I prefer the older term: kaneh-bosm

Old 03-03-2024, 04:37 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Maybe partly due to those while high on cannabis are just vegging out and not being active and doing elevated cardio rate activities?

Old 03-03-2024, 08:33 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Most potheads think it is harmless. Yeah, good luck with that.
couldn't agree with this more. i have worked in healthcare for decades. any nurse or health tech who works in an Emergency Department can report that unequivocally and undeniably yes pot results in health problems.

or talk to anyone who has lived with a pothead. they can tell you the same thing, that it adversely affects brain function, and results in cognitive impairment. this sums it up, from someone who lived with and was married to a pothead, "I thought marijuana was harmless and natural, until I lived with someone who smoked it."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-03-2024 at 08:48 PM..

Old 03-03-2024, 08:52 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
I also use edibles with no ill effects. It's funny how cannabis deniers or whatever you would call them conflate all methods of delivery and how SMOKING isn't highlighted as the thing that is detrimental to your health. It's just common sense that smoking or inhaling anything is not going to be good for your lungs or heart. Chewing an edible (or taking in other oral form) does not have harmful effects on the body.
it is common sense that using pot in any way shape or form, is harmful.
period. full stop.

ask anyone who has lived with a user.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness