Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 05:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Look at some older smokers. Where is the surprise? Canada published some studies in 2023.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 06:01 PM

37,450 posts, read 61,360,276 times
I certainly recognize that all smoking is 'bad' for your health [unless you smoke as a medicinal treatment for some other condition, like Mullien].

When I was a teen, it seemed as if nearly everyone smoked. A common quantity of smoking was 4 packs a day. I knew lots of adults who smoked 4 packs a day.

So when we say that smoking Kanneh Bosn [Cannabis] is 'bad', in my mind I compare it to 4-pack-a-day smokers. Our society has changed a lot since the 1960s, but looking around today. I rarely see anyone who still smokes 4 packs a day.

Old 03-02-2024, 06:23 PM

974 posts, read 517,163 times
I never heard of anyone who ever smoked more than 2 packs of cigarettes a day, and I have known a LOT of smokers. I would have to see that one to believe it. People often exaggerate. A pack to a pack and a half a day was my limit long ago. Some studies say that vaping weed is worse for you than smoking it in a pipe or a joint. Like most things, I suppose it can be used, or it can be abused.

Edibles never did anything for me one way or the other, although I suppose if you ate enough of them it might put you to sleep. Generally, people eat weed in order to treat a physical problem like pain. Today's weed is nothing like we had back in the day either. It has been bio-engineered into Frankenweed w/ amazingly high amounts of THC.

When Arizona (of all places) fully legalized it, the weed store was conveniently located 8 blocks from my place. At first it was sorta fun, but it didn't take long for the downsides to make themselves known: it really increased my tinnitus and caused a drop in motor skills. The drop in reaction time was scary because I ride an eBike, and need to stay one step ahead of zoned out car drivers on their phones. While I appreciated how it made music more enjoyable and had some other positive benefits, the downsides were bigger than the positives.

One of the big downsides was the munchies. I gained a lot of weight tracking down every cookie I could find in Tucson. This happened w/ the "old" weed too. A friend I had been selling weed to back in the 60's once lamented that he could afford the weed, but couldn't afford the grocery bill!

Old 03-02-2024, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I certainly recognize that all smoking is 'bad' for your health [unless you smoke as a medicinal treatment for some other condition, like Mullien].

When I was a teen, it seemed as if nearly everyone smoked. A common quantity of smoking was 4 packs a day. I knew lots of adults who smoked 4 packs a day.

So when we say that smoking Kanneh Bosn [Cannabis] is 'bad', in my mind I compare it to 4-pack-a-day smokers. Our society has changed a lot since the 1960s, but looking around today. I rarely see anyone who still smokes 4 packs a day.
The topic is cannabis, weed, dope whatever you want to call it. Until recently it did not come in packs/cartons.

Old 03-02-2024, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I never heard of anyone who ever smoked more than 2 packs of cigarettes a day, and I have known a LOT of smokers. I would have to see that one to believe it. People often exaggerate. A pack to a pack and a half a day was my limit long ago. Some studies say that vaping weed is worse for you than smoking it in a pipe or a joint. Like most things, I suppose it can be used, or it can be abused.

Edibles never did anything for me one way or the other, although I suppose if you ate enough of them it might put you to sleep. Generally, people eat weed in order to treat a physical problem like pain. Today's weed is nothing like we had back in the day either. It has been bio-engineered into Frankenweed w/ amazingly high amounts of THC.

When Arizona (of all places) fully legalized it, the weed store was conveniently located 8 blocks from my place. At first it was sorta fun, but it didn't take long for the downsides to make themselves known: it really increased my tinnitus and caused a drop in motor skills. The drop in reaction time was scary because I ride an eBike, and need to stay one step ahead of zoned out car drivers on their phones. While I appreciated how it made music more enjoyable and had some other positive benefits, the downsides were bigger than the positives.

One of the big downsides was the munchies. I gained a lot of weight tracking down every cookie I could find in Tucson. This happened w/ the "old" weed too. A friend I had been selling weed to back in the 60's once lamented that he could afford the weed, but couldn't afford the grocery bill!
SO did back in the day. I came back from a medical appointment and told him the diagnosis was a six foot piece of real estate for me. I was coughing blood as non smoker. He went cold turkey. I am talking cigarettes.
My best friend was a neonatal nurse. She got out of one Cali mountain fire. I cannot reach anyone about her. Not even her provider.

Old 03-02-2024, 08:25 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,278,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
Inhaling any smoke is bad especially in high amounts. Take the edibles then

For which long term consequences are unknown.

Old 03-02-2024, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

The average smoker never smoked anywhere near 4 packs a day, and I suspect the average was about 1/4 that. Maybe only in your neighborhood. I never knew anyone who smoked 4 packs a day, and for a while I smoked 2 packs.

Old 03-03-2024, 12:36 AM

21,533 posts, read 8,718,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
For which long term consequences are unknown.
For what it's worth, I have been a daily user of edibles for nearly eight years, and at 75 I'm in good health with normal BP and no cardiac issues.

The one caveat with edibles is that they are more powerful than smoking, and they can take two hours or more to kick in. When people try edibles and have bad experiences, it's almost always because they didn't notice an effect right away and took more. Or they didn't know the appropriate dosage for a beginner and took too much. 1 to 2.5 mgs. of THC is plenty if you're just starting out. The standard dose in a gummy will be 10 mg., though. That's way too much for most newbies.

The article which mentioned cardiovascular issues was referring to smoking marijuana. Putting any type of combusted material into your lungs - whether cannabis or tobacco - is not going to do your health any good.

I don't agree that all cannabis users believe that it's harmless or that it can cure anything. The truth is that it can cause harm when used inappropriately or in excess. People do become habituated and develop a tolerance.

Research has shown that cannabis can affect brain function in young people whose brains are not yet fully developed. Some people are allergic to cannabis and shouldn't use it at all. Some people say it does nothing for them and some just don't like the feeling of being high. Cannabis is not for everyone.

Yet cannabis can be useful for anxiety, insomnia, pain and some medical conditions such as epilepsy. Just because some people shouldn't use it, that doesn't mean it's bad or that it shouldn't be legal. It's helped a lot of people, including me.

Old 03-03-2024, 08:11 AM

5,457 posts, read 8,171,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
The average smoker never smoked anywhere near 4 packs a day, and I suspect the average was about 1/4 that. Maybe only in your neighborhood. I never knew anyone who smoked 4 packs a day, and for a while I smoked 2 packs.
Assuming a 16-hour day when awake, 4 packs = 1 cigarette every 12 minutes.

Old 03-03-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
For what it's worth, I have been a daily user of edibles for nearly eight years, and at 75 I'm in good health with normal BP and no cardiac issues.

Its worth exactly one anonymous anecdote.

Quote:
The article which mentioned cardiovascular issues was referring to smoking marijuana. Putting any type of combusted material into your lungs - whether cannabis or tobacco - is not going to do your health any good.

Ingesting things can harm you too. Like I said, it hasn't been around long enough to know long-term effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness