Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 10:11 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I have these flexible microwave popcorn makers. You pour some kernels into it and close the flaps, set it in the micro and tap the popcorn pad. Once you know exactly when to stop you get perfectly popped popcorn in less than 2 minutes. Not much waste either, almost all kernals pop big fluffy.
I have the same thing probably. I always have a jar of Orville Rickenbacker corn on hand so all I do it pour some in the popper and place it into the microwave. Oh--I do add some butter before popping. In a few minutes I take it out and stir it up and add some salt. Very quick and easy.

I tasted some microwave popcorn last year and couldn't believe how vile the taste was. Nasty stuff. Sorry to learn that popcorn is now GMO though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 10:47 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,324,871 times
I quite like the taste of Popcorners, supposedly to contain only three ingredients, yellow corn, sunflower seed oil, and sea salt. Most likely Popcorners are not as healthy as popcorns.

Old 03-02-2024, 08:43 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
It is impressive how well and how thoroughly popcorn pops in a microwave. Better than an air popper.

My "Pop Secret Jumbo" popcorn says "non-GMO" and claims they use only non-GMO corn kernals. I am not sure I trust them but that is what it says.

Next time, I will probably buy some organic non-GMO popcorn off Amazon.

Just check that your popcorn is non-GMO. There is plenty, even from Pop Secret and Oroville Redenbachers. Just check the label.

Old 03-02-2024, 09:34 AM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Popcorn made on the stove with fresh bacon grease instead of oil, means you don't have to add salt OR butter! Of course the nitrates will probably kill you, but popcorn kernels stuck between the teeth and the gum can cause infection and result in abscess and death, so there's that.

Meanwhile, I eat my popcorn with real actual butter. Buy it unflavored in single-serve microwaveable bags, and melt the butter to pour over when it's out of the nuker. YUM

Old 03-02-2024, 10:50 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
When I was a kid we had a neighbor who developed colon cancer. He had much of his large colon removed and after the surgery the doctor asked him, "Do you eat a lot of popcorn?" And, Al said that he ate popcorn almost every night when watching television. And asked why the doctor inquired. The doctor said that the folds in his intestines were full of essentially fermenting popcorn hulls.

Old 03-02-2024, 11:35 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
It's horrible for me, causes gastric distress. Also just carbs, not a lot of nutrients.

Old 03-02-2024, 12:30 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,003,799 times
Jolly Time popcorn states non-GMO on the packaging, both 'regular' and 'organic' varieties. And it tends to be cheaper than the store brand, so that's usually what I buy.

Old 03-02-2024, 01:25 PM

15,957 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I have the same thing probably. I always have a jar of Orville Rickenbacker corn on hand so all I do it pour some in the popper and place it into the microwave. Oh--I do add some butter before popping. In a few minutes I take it out and stir it up and add some salt. Very quick and easy.

I tasted some microwave popcorn last year and couldn't believe how vile the taste was. Nasty stuff. Sorry to learn that popcorn is now GMO though.
Adding butter to the corn before popping - great idea! I like seasoning it with a bit of sugar and red chilli powder.

Old 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Popcorn made on the stove with fresh bacon grease instead of oil...

popcorn kernels stuck between the teeth and the gum...

Buy it unflavored in single-serve microwaveable bags, and melt the butter to pour over when it's out of the nuker...
Love the bacon grease idea! Genius.

It's the hull that gets stuck in my teeth and gums (or throat). Very annoying!

What do you mean by "unflavored" microwave popcorn?

Old 03-02-2024, 03:18 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What do you mean by "unflavored" microwave popcorn?
Wouldn't that just be popcorn that doesn't have any added flavorings (butter, caramel, salt, peppers, herbs, etc.)? It might be called "plain", "natural", or "original" depending on brand.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-02-2024 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness