Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 12:11 PM

22,174 posts, read 19,217,049 times

Advertisements

I am interested to hear from people on use of nutritional yeast for gut health.

I recently cut caffeine use by 90% (on my way to 100% no caffeine but not there yet) and that helped my gut health a lot, but still having issues. Probiotics have not worked at all, and i've tried many different types. I am allergic to dairy so that is not an option.

I just started using the Bragg's nutritional yeast, and love the flavor, but i read don't add too much too soon, so I'm taking 2-4 tablespoons per day so far.

Your experiences and input are most welcome. Thank you.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-25-2024 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2024, 01:40 PM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I've never seen nutritional yeast recommended for gut health.

I use it for salad dressing and add to soups and stews for it's umami flavor and health benefits.

What is the symptom your trying to get rid of?

Other probiotic options for you would kefir water, kimchi, miso, and kombucha.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-25-2024, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've never seen nutritional yeast recommended for gut health.

I use it for salad dressing and add to soups and stews for it's umami flavor and health benefits.

What is the symptom your trying to get rid of?

Other probiotic options for you would kefir water, kimchi, miso, and kombucha.
"Nutritional yeast may help alleviate symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, which is one of the most common gut disorders in the U.S. A 2015 study found that nutritional yeast consumption significantly reduced abdominal pain and discomfort in people with IBS. A meta-analysis in the World Journal of Gastroenterology found a clinically significant decrease in abdominal pain, discomfort, and bloating for those regularly consuming the yeast (500 mg/day for eight weeks). They also found that stool consistency improved."

stool consistency is the symptom i am seeking to address.

from Chicago Health

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-25-2024 at 03:18 PM..

Old 02-25-2024, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
"Nutritional yeast may help alleviate symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, which is one of the most common gut disorders in the U.S. A 2015 study found that nutritional yeast consumption significantly reduced abdominal pain and discomfort in people with IBS. A meta-analysis in the World Journal of Gastroenterology found a clinically significant decrease in abdominal pain, discomfort, and bloating for those regularly consuming the yeast (500 mg/day for eight weeks). They also found that stool consistency improved."

stool consistency is the symptom i am seeking to address.

from Chicago Health
"May" is the operable word. Are you eating the 500mg/day and has it been over 8 weeks?

Do you have IBS?

So you either are constipated or have diarrhea.

Have you gone the standard route of getting the RDA of fiber? Yes, fiber can cause gas.... until your body gets used to it, and then it usually subsides.

Old 02-25-2024, 05:00 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,786,202 times
Raw sauerkraut, an example would be Bubbies or something similar. Kimchi, Kombucha. You want foods with live cultures.

I have never read that nutritional yeast is recommended for gut health.

Old 02-25-2024, 05:11 PM

An example:

Peppermint oil is very good for IBS symptoms. (stops cramps in the intestines)

But it will do NOTHING to the consistency of your poop.

Old 02-25-2024, 05:18 PM

547 posts, read 328,956 times
you are on the right path with probiotics. keep tinkering, it's a trial and error game. it also takes weeks/months to turn the gut around. i'm real high on bacillus coagulans capsules -- it's worked wonders for us.

should also be eating prebiotics (various plant fibers) and working on leaky gut too. some things that help with leaky gut are inulin, resveratrol, l-glutamine. too, need to avoid fried foods, alcohol, and fake sugar. eat clean for a few months while turning your gut around.

check out pubmed -- medical has figured out that IBS/crohns/etc are from bad gut bugs and/or leaky gut. here's a search to get you started

https://www.google.com/search?q=irri...-wiz-serp#ip=1

Old 02-25-2024, 05:50 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I am interested to hear from people on use of nutritional yeast for gut health.

I recently cut caffeine use by 90% (on my way to 100% no caffeine but not there yet) and that helped my gut health a lot, but still having issues. Probiotics have not worked at all, and i've tried many different types. I am allergic to dairy so that is not an option.

I just started using the Bragg's nutritional yeast, and love the flavor, but i read don't add too much too soon, so I'm taking 2-4 tablespoons per day so far.

Your experiences and input are most welcome. Thank you.
What was your diagnosis from your doctor? And, after you were diagnosed, what did your doctor recommend for treatment?

Old 02-25-2024, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
"May" is the operable word. Are you eating the 500mg/day and has it been over 8 weeks? Do you have IBS? So you either are constipated or have diarrhea.

Have you gone the standard route of getting the RDA of fiber? Yes, fiber can cause gas.... until your body gets used to it, and then it usually subsides.
i just started taking the nutritional yeast, and that is why i posted this thread topic. Because I am interested to hear and learn from others.

yes in my case it is diarrhea. no i do not have a diagnosis of IBS. the only symptom is diarrhea. Frequency has improved since eliminating caffeine. Consistency has not improved. So still trying different foods. I exercise daily (walking and qi gong), no pain, no heart problems, good blood pressure, good labs.

Old 02-25-2024, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
What was your diagnosis from your doctor? And, after you were diagnosed, what did your doctor recommend for treatment?
no diagnosis. we did a bunch of stool samples including the fancy one that tests for more stuff, they all came back fine. no pain, no cramping, no gas, no bloating. doctor knows i am allergic to dairy so he said watch for hidden dairy and keep trying different foods. also watch to see if it is stress related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness