Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 06:40 PM

22,151 posts, read 19,203,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
you are on the right path with probiotics. keep tinkering, it's a trial and error game. it also takes weeks/months to turn the gut around. i'm real high on bacillus coagulans capsules -- it's worked wonders for us.

should also be eating prebiotics (various plant fibers) and working on leaky gut too. some things that help with leaky gut are inulin, resveratrol, l-glutamine. too, need to avoid fried foods, alcohol, and fake sugar. eat clean for a few months while turning your gut around.

check out pubmed -- medical has figured out that IBS/crohns/etc are from bad gut bugs and/or leaky gut. here's a search to get you started
i will read more on bacillus coagulans capsules
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2024, 08:24 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
I understand that nutritional yeast has been heated to kill the yeast microbes, so it's not a probiotic. Maybe it is minerals or vitamins in it that help.
I've got some on hand and like the flavor, I think I'll try using it more. Have to get out the scale to figure out dosage in teaspoons.

I'm having similar gut issues, and have been doing the low-FODMAP elimination diet. That cuts out most foods that have components that commonly cause gut issues, including gluten, dairy, artificial sweeteners, and many fruits and veggies.

It worked when I first did it several months ago, but I've done backslid and have just started again.

Old 02-26-2024, 06:40 AM

thank you for mentioning low FODMAP. I will read more about that because i can see already that it lists food groups known to be a problem for me.

Old 02-26-2024, 07:38 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i just started taking the nutritional yeast, and that is why i posted this thread topic. Because I am interested to hear and learn from others.

yes in my case it is diarrhea. no i do not have a diagnosis of IBS. the only symptom is diarrhea. Frequency has improved since eliminating caffeine. Consistency has not improved. So still trying different foods. I exercise daily (walking and qi gong), no pain, no heart problems, good blood pressure, good labs.
Am really thankful I found this thread, we're in the exact same boat; and I just love coffee and chocolate.
Unfortunately, caffeine relaxes our stomach valve; creating GERD.
Went to the Dr. twice, everything tested fine; now he wants to screen me for colorectal cancer.
Did your symptom appear suddenly?
I've been thoroughly researching foods that might be the cause, eliminating them one by one; long process though.

Old 02-26-2024, 08:18 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
no diagnosis. we did a bunch of stool samples including the fancy one that tests for more stuff, they all came back fine. no pain, no cramping, no gas, no bloating. doctor knows i am allergic to dairy so he said watch for hidden dairy and keep trying different foods. also watch to see if it is stress related.
Then instead of trying meds and supplements and changes in diet, try reducing your stress. You've had tests. Tests have shown everything is functioning as it should be.

Stop focusing on "gut health." Your gut is fine. If it wasn't, those tests would've come up with a diagnosis.

Old 02-26-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Then instead of trying meds and supplements and changes in diet, try reducing your stress. You've had tests. Tests have shown everything is functioning as it should be.

Stop focusing on "gut health." Your gut is fine. If it wasn't, those tests would've come up with a diagnosis.
stress does definitely affect it. typically i can identify the offending food, and see improvement. for instance hidden dairy. with a dairy allergy i am accustomed to notifying changes related to what i eat.

i had a series of severe dental issues over the course of a few years including oral surgery and many procedures. during that time i learned that dental health is connected to gut health, so since then i have been paying greater attention to gut health.

dental health is now at 95% great. still working on the gut health. after one of the oral surgeries and subsequent side effects (including taking antibiotics) the diarrhea became bad and that's when they said take probiotics to help clear that up. That was 4+ years ago, and still working on it.

thank you everyone for input, experience, ideas.
i do need more fiber in my diet so looking at that. and learning the difference between "loose stools" and "diarrhea." who even knew that was a thing.

Old 02-26-2024, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Am really thankful I found this thread, we're in the exact same boat; and I just love coffee and chocolate.
Unfortunately, caffeine relaxes our stomach valve; creating GERD.
Went to the Dr. twice, everything tested fine; now he wants to screen me for colorectal cancer.
Did your symptom appear suddenly?
I've been thoroughly researching foods that might be the cause, eliminating them one by one; long process though.
so much of it is trial and error. I was so pleased to see an immediate improvement with eliminating caffeine. i've never liked sweets and don't drink, so no chocolate no booze was easy.

it's like being a detective and paying attention to how my body responds to what i eat. which is in the long run a good thing and healthy.

it's weird too because i'll notice if i skip a meal, i start feeling nausea. the nausea is immediately improved by eating something. so i am going to look at smaller portions throughout the day. FODMAP makes a point of small portions also, so will pay attention to that.

at this point i'm willing to start at ground zero with very bland foods and then start adding things back in. i'm curious to hear more what you find Sunbiz

Old 02-26-2024, 01:53 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Raw sauerkraut, an example would be Bubbies or something similar. Kimchi, Kombucha. You want foods with live cultures.

I have never read that nutritional yeast is recommended for gut health.

I love Bubbies sauerkraut and also their dill pickles are similarly probiotic. I have several jars sitting in my fridge and I take a little bit of it most days and sip on the salt water too.

Old 02-26-2024, 01:59 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I understand that nutritional yeast has been heated to kill the yeast microbes, so it's not a probiotic. Maybe it is minerals or vitamins in it that help.
I've got some on hand and like the flavor, I think I'll try using it more. Have to get out the scale to figure out dosage in teaspoons.

I'm having similar gut issues, and have been doing the low-FODMAP elimination diet. That cuts out most foods that have components that commonly cause gut issues, including gluten, dairy, artificial sweeteners, and many fruits and veggies.

It worked when I first did it several months ago, but I've done backslid and have just started again.
Yet we were able to eat any combination of food for many decades without issue.

I never even considered eliminating coffee. What, coffee???????

I suspect in order of bad things #1 all forms of sugar #2 gluten #3 dairy

Old 02-26-2024, 04:47 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
stress does definitely affect it. typically i can identify the offending food, and see improvement. for instance hidden dairy. with a dairy allergy i am accustomed to notifying changes related to what i eat.

i had a series of severe dental issues over the course of a few years including oral surgery and many procedures. during that time i learned that dental health is connected to gut health, so since then i have been paying greater attention to gut health.

dental health is now at 95% great. still working on the gut health.
after one of the oral surgeries and subsequent side effects (including taking antibiotics) the diarrhea became bad and that's when they said take probiotics to help clear that up. That was 4+ years ago, and still working on it.

thank you everyone for input, experience, ideas.
i do need more fiber in my diet so looking at that. and learning the difference between "loose stools" and "diarrhea." who even knew that was a thing.
So you proved yourself wrong. You "learned" that dental health is connected to gut health. And yet, you were able to improve your dental health to 95% "great"ness, but your gut health still suffers.

Therefore, there is no connection between gut health and dental health. If there were, you wouldn't have had such rousing success with your teeth. Your gums would be bleeding, your jawbone would be disintegrating, you'd be suffering from abscesses, you'd be experiencing sinus pain (sinuses are right at the edge of your upper mouth ridge), even if you had no teeth at all.

There is a CORRELATION between digestive system illness and dental health. There is no causation, unless you're vomiting regularly or suffering from rickets. Both of those have a -direct- effect on the teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness