Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 08:43 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

I am not dieting, I have had a serious health event. Doc recommended Ensure. But Ensure, even just the regular "original" Ensure contains sucralose. Why? It's insane. In addition to being loaded with regular sugar. I do not find this a healthy option.

I tried to do a search, and everything that comes up is related to dieting and weight loss. I am not trying to lose weight. I just need something to provide those missing vitamins and minerals and, most especially, protein, in a palatable form without too much sugar and NO fake sugar.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 09:10 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I am not dieting, I have had a serious health event. Doc recommended Ensure. But Ensure, even just the regular "original" Ensure contains sucralose. Why? It's insane. In addition to being loaded with regular sugar. I do not find this a healthy option.

I tried to do a search, and everything that comes up is related to dieting and weight loss. I am not trying to lose weight. I just need something to provide those missing vitamins and minerals and, most especially, protein, in a palatable form without too much sugar and NO fake sugar.

Thanks
Have you tried OWYN?

It's a plant-based protein shake [20g] with only 4g of cane sugar and no sucralose or other fake sugars. You can get the full ingredient list here: https://liveowyn.com/products/protein-shakes/?sku=8419

Old 02-18-2024, 09:20 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
After surgery, they told me to eat lots of protein; I got Juven on Amazon, and made shakes with frozen fruit. Took vitamin pills for the rest.

The Juven tastes awful by itself, but fine in a shake.

Old 02-18-2024, 09:58 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Thank you both for the suggestions. I will check them out. Protein is the primary need, but I just can't eat enough real food to make up the lack of nutrition in general that I need right now.

I have been unable ever to take vitamins in pill form. Any kind I've tried, and I've tried many over the years, give me bad stomach aches. No matter when I take them.

Old 02-18-2024, 11:26 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
I've used two different protein shakes. If you're seeking something organic, neither one will be sufficient for your requirements.

The HMR 800 shake was part of a weight loss program administered by a local hospital. I wasn't thrilled about the amount of sugar it contained, so I switched to the Premier Protein shake. The counsellors and dietitian weren't exactly happy with my choice to switch, as the HMR was medically approved for weight loss as a meal replacement, while the Premier Protein advertises itself as a "nutritional supplement", but it worked for me. An added bonus was that the Premier Protein in liquid form cost less than half the price of the HMR shake in powder form (the only form available for HMR).

The HMR 800 Shake contains 160 calories, 17 grams of protein, and 18 grams of sugar per serving. The ingredients are:
Nonfat Dry Milk, Calcium Caseinate, Whole Milk Powder, Cocoa, Fructose, Sugar, Egg White Solids, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Sunflower Oil, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Saccharin, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Magnesium Oxide, Maltodextrin, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Caseinate, Potassium Chloride, Sunflower Lecithin, Monoglycerides, Potassium Phosphate, Tocopherols To Help Protect Flavor, Silicon Dioxide, Calcium Phosphate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Phytonadione (Vitamin K1), Vitamin D3. Sweetened With Nutritive And Non-Nutritive Sweeteners (38.77mg Of Saccharin Per 44g Packet).
The Premiere Protein shake contains 160 calories, 30 grams of protein, and 2 grams of sugar. The ingredients for the chocolate flavor are:
Water, Milk Protein Concentrate†, Calcium Caseinate†, Cocoa Powder (processed with alkali), Contains less than 1% of High Oleic Sunflower Oil or Soybean Oil, Natural and Artificial flavors, Inulin, Cellulose Gel and Cellulose Gum, Salt, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Carrageenan, Tripotassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Dl-alpha-tocopheryl Acetate [Vitamin E], Zinc Glycinate Chelate, Ferric Orthophosphate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Niacinamide, Phytonadione [Vitamin K1], Potassium Iodide, Cholecalciferol [Vitamin D3], Copper Gluconate, Calcium DPantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Sodium Molybdate, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Cyanocobalamin [Vitamin B12], Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Riboflavin [Vitamin B2], Chromium Polynicotinate), Magnesium Phosphate, Sodium Ascorbate. CONTAINS MILK AND SOY.

Old 02-18-2024, 01:26 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Thank you both for the suggestions. I will check them out. Protein is the primary need, but I just can't eat enough real food to make up the lack of nutrition in general that I need right now.

I have been unable ever to take vitamins in pill form. Any kind I've tried, and I've tried many over the years, give me bad stomach aches. No matter when I take them.
Maybe ask over in the Exercise forum. I'm guessing they may have ideas too.

Have you looked at Vital Proteins? I buy it at Walmart.

Old 02-18-2024, 01:55 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
This is the unflavored Juven I used; the flavored versions have sugar in them.

Nutrient Data
Serving size: 23 g (1 Packet)

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 80

L-Arginine, g: 7

L-Glutamine, g: 7

Protein (Collagen), g: 2.5

Carbohydrate, g: 4.2

Sugars, g: 0

Ingredients
L-Glutamine, L-Arginine, Hydrolyzed Beef Collagen, Citric Acid, Calcium Beta-Hydroxy-Beta-Methylbutyrate, Ascorbic Acid, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Zinc Sulfate, and Vitamin B12.

Vitamins
Amount Per Serving

Vitamin C, mg: 300

Vitamin E, mg: 15

Vitamin B12, mcg: 1.2

Minerals
Amount Per Serving

Calcium, mg: 200

Zinc, mg: 9.5

Calcium Beta-hydroxy-Beta-methylbutyrate, g: 1.5

This information is subject to change. Please refer to the product label for the most current ingredient, allergen, and nutrient profile information
https://www.juven.com/products/juven-orange

Old 02-18-2024, 05:33 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
I am not dieting, I have had a serious health event. Doc recommended Ensure. But Ensure, even just the regular "original" Ensure contains sucralose. Why? It's insane.
Probably because it would taste terrible without it? After all, it's "complete nutrition," so I assume it would be like chewing a vitamin pill! Not very palatable. Both regular (with sugar) and a diabetic (sugar-free, with artificial sweeteners) are available, however.

I'm a big fan of Ensure, which is NOT a "diet" meal replacement (you can buy the generic versions for less). I've known several people now who, for medical reasons, could not eat and have lived a year or more by drinking four of them per day, eventually dying of their debilitating illnesses.

Old 02-18-2024, 06:04 PM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:

When you say that you can't "eat" enough real food..., do you mean that you can't "chew" real food or do you mean that you can't "consume" real food even if in liquid form?

If you are having a chewing problem, perhaps due to some dental issues, then it's simple to put "real food" in a blender along with some milk, ice cream, or something else to help liquify it and drink your meal as a shake.

Old 02-18-2024, 06:11 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
This is the unflavored Juven I used; the flavored versions have sugar in them.

Nutrient Data
Serving size: 23 g (1 Packet)

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 80

L-Arginine, g: 7

L-Glutamine, g: 7

Protein (Collagen), g: 2.5

Carbohydrate, g: 4.2

Sugars, g: 0

Ingredients
L-Glutamine, L-Arginine, Hydrolyzed Beef Collagen, Citric Acid, Calcium Beta-Hydroxy-Beta-Methylbutyrate, Ascorbic Acid, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Zinc Sulfate, and Vitamin B12.

Vitamins
Amount Per Serving

Vitamin C, mg: 300

Vitamin E, mg: 15

Vitamin B12, mcg: 1.2

Minerals
Amount Per Serving

Calcium, mg: 200

Zinc, mg: 9.5

Calcium Beta-hydroxy-Beta-methylbutyrate, g: 1.5

This information is subject to change. Please refer to the product label for the most current ingredient, allergen, and nutrient profile information
https://www.juven.com/products/juven-orange
That's not a meal replacement option. That's a supplement. The OP needs a meal replacement. That means anywhere between 40-80 grams of protein per day. Your Juven offers 2.5 grams - so the OP would need to eat 20 packets of that stuff every day, just to get an average amount of daily protein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness