Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 01:19 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
It sounds like you enjoy soups so that could be one way to transition into higher nutrition and variety without changing flavor much, if any, depending on what you choose. Soups can be made into nutrient powerhouses. You could experiment with adding different vegetables, beans, legumes, grains or meat. Or go all out with a minestrone soup that includes all of those things. You wouldn't need to go that far if it sounds too much, just start out slowly adding different foods to your soups to see what you like.
I think this sounds like the best option for the OP.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 02:03 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
It sounds like you enjoy soups so that could be one way to transition into higher nutrition and variety without changing flavor much, if any, depending on what you choose. Soups can be made into nutrient powerhouses. You could experiment with adding different vegetables, beans, legumes, grains or meat. Or go all out with a minestrone soup that includes all of those things. You wouldn't need to go that far if it sounds too much, just start out slowly adding different foods to your soups to see what you like.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think this sounds like the best option for the OP.

It is a good idea. When I'm up to it.

Old 02-20-2024, 03:47 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
The point of the "meal replacement" shakes is to get a significant amount of extra protein, vitamins and minerals into me right now, during recovery.
You shouldn't need "extra" vitamins and minerals if you're already taking a good daily supplement (mutivitamin pill). I assume you are if you're concerned about nutrition? Any extra will just be excreted (literally ****** away). As for protein, easily solved by eating more whole foods high in protein: eggs, chicken, tuna, Greek yogurt, nuts, dairy products, etc.

I'm still not understanding exactly what your dietary deficiency/need/problem is...

Last edited by otterhere; 02-20-2024 at 04:29 PM..

Old 02-20-2024, 04:27 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times
I lost weight awhile back due to unexplained nausea. The issue started with an ulcer but it became something else, never fully explained. Reached the point where I literally could not eat, ensure, boost only made me nauseous. For some reason chocolate milk shakes made with Haagen Daz (only three natural ingredients) did not. That doesn't address the protein segment but it would be easy enough to add vitamins. The high fat content of the ice cream really helped fill me up at night making it easier to sleep.

What also helped prevent nausea was an OTC product called FdGard. It's not cheap, uses high tech capsules to encapsulate herbs that release over time during the digestive process. To my amazement it really worked and was worth every penny.

Old 02-20-2024, 04:42 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I lost weight awhile back due to unexplained nausea. The issue started with an ulcer but it became something else, never fully explained. Reached the point where I literally could not eat, ensure, boost only made me nauseous. For some reason chocolate milk shakes made with Haagen Daz (only three natural ingredients) did not. That doesn't address the protein segment but it would be easy enough to add vitamins. The high fat content of the ice cream really helped fill me up at night making it easier to sleep.

What also helped prevent nausea was an OTC product called FdGard. It's not cheap, uses high tech capsules to encapsulate herbs that release over time during the digestive process. To my amazement it really worked and was worth every penny.

Thanks for the tip. As it happens, Haagen Dazs is the only ice cream I can eat, because of it's lack of nasty ingredients. Sooo yummy!

Plus, an okay source of protein, if you eat the whole 14 ounces, and why wouldn't you.

Old 02-20-2024, 05:00 PM

840 posts, read 772,320 times
You may want to check out Spirulina, Hemp, & Moringa.
(Hemp seed is also available hulled, but whole.)

I use Stevia or honey to sweeten when using one of the above, on cereal.
Or I sprinkle the 'protein powder' over -& mix it in- other, non-sweet, food/s.

Old 02-20-2024, 05:35 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
hee hee, thanks for the chuckle. I am the least adventurous person I know when it comes to food. I want everything to taste exactly the same as it always does. I do use milk in my scrambled eggs, but non-fat. I think if I can improve my nutritional base, the calories will follow, without having to add things like heavy cream.

I do like a tomato in my eggs though. And cooked tomatoes are good nutrition. Thanks for the idea.

I did mention up above that I eat two tablespoons of organic peanut butter every day (straight out of the jar), and a handful of almonds every day too.

The only things I've ever found that I like highly flavored is my potato soup recipe, in which -much to my surprise- I like white pepper, and I do like some cinnamon, and a little allspice, in my homemade apple sauce. Other than that, I prefer bland bland bland.
I wonder if you would like peanut soup? You can make it using all natural ingredients. I've made Colonial peanut soup before and it was delicious and nutritious. It's definitely not a diet food.

Old 02-20-2024, 05:41 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
So I didn't read the whole thread but it sounds like what you want is basically Ensure or Boost or similar. They're basically concentrated nutrition drinks versus say something like Huel or Soylent which are meal replacement but assume you're chowing down on at least 2,000 calories which doesn't sound like it's the case. Protein powder is just protein powder, not really what you're looking for.

Ensure Enlive, no sucralose. More sugar. 22 grams of sugar/20 grams of protein.
Boost has a bunch of things. The Very High Calorie. It's just syrup, protein powder, vegetable oil plus a mutli-vitamin. Ensure Enlive might be more palatable.

If you're not worried about price I'd recommend Kate Farms medical nutrition. It's basically the same thing as Boost Very High Calorie but with better ingredients for a lot more money. Syrup, Protein powder, MCT/Sunflower oil. Pea protein (Kate Farms) isn't really a complete protein since it's very low in methionine. Eggs and dairy if you're eating those would cover that though.

Old 02-20-2024, 06:33 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Could you clarify? Is your problem swallowing, chewing, or lack of appetite? It might help us.

If you don't even want to use a blender to make up a homemade shake or eggnog, you probably aren't up to making homemade soup, and you probably also have aversions to the ingredients in canned soup. Maybe the soup mix that comes dry in a bag or box (to which you just add water and cook) would work for you.

Old 02-20-2024, 07:06 PM

1,361 posts, read 990,279 times
Protein powder, 1 scoop:

https://paleopro.com/products/paleo-protein-powder

Cocoa, 1 Tbsp:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (2pts)

https://www.amazon.com/Scharffen-Ber...dp/B00CQ805IG/ (1 pt)

Unsweetened Almond Milk, 8 oz:

https://silk.com/plant-based-product...et-almondmilk/

1 Small (less than 100g) banana

A few blueberries

2 Tbsp Raw, unfiltered honey

1 Tbsp Pistachio or Cashew butter

Nutribullet

All natural, no sugar, no dairy, tons of nutrients, 30g protein, very filling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness