Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 08:34 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Upon visiting my surgeon today, the good news is I don't need another fusion on the back, however, doctor said, the fusion looks really good, and the pain I'm having in lower back and upper thigh, he may be able to fix by me getting a lumbar radiofrequency ablation...which is basically the burning off of the nerves....

I was wondering if anyone has had it and if so, how long ago and what were the pros and cons of the procedure for you.

Thank you in advance....

Oh and if this is the wrong place for this thread, please feel free to move.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2024, 11:25 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
I've had RFA twice, first time treatment lasted about 6 months, second time treatment lasted about 2 years. The relief from pain was instant and wonderful. But the arthritis has spread and gotten so bad that they won't do it anymore. Insurance they say. I now take Tylenol. 600mg 3-4 times a day for relief.

Old 02-17-2024, 07:50 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Not my back, but I had it done on my knee twice. The procedure was simple, it just felt like a lot of pressure. It worked pretty good the first time, second time not so much. PT and occasional steroid injections have been better, for me.

Old 02-17-2024, 02:40 PM

17,536 posts, read 13,324,825 times
I've had it done 3 times. Twice on one side (1st lasted 1 year and 2nd only a few months.) Just had other side and it seems to have dome the job.

I can now easily walk 1-2 miles a day

Procedures were a snap. No pain, just pressure. Only problem is that Medicare requires 2 test injections before RA is approved. After the first time, the 2nd was a waste of time and money

Old 02-17-2024, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I've had it done 3 times. Twice on one side (1st lasted 1 year and 2nd only a few months.) Just had other side and it seems to have dome the job.

Procedures were a snap. No pain, just pressure. Only problem is that Medicare requires 2 test injections before RA is approved. After the first time, the 2nd was a waste of time and money
So was it your lower back?
I’ve had 2 lower back fusions and my lower back started hurting again about a year ago
Doc says the full body scan and MRI proved the fusions look great
He pressed on my hip and thigh and there is pain gosh I would love to be able to walk again
I mean I can walk while holding onto a shopping cart and use a walker but to walk again would be awesome

Old 02-17-2024, 06:00 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Your post is unclear. i assume you mean both knees, since I've never heard anyone refer to both sides of the lumbar spine in that way. Also for people who don't know, by "injections" I assume you must mean the nerve anesthetic 'test" injection to see if the ablation is likely to succeed. If numbing the nerves doesn't relieve the pain, the nerve ablation won't either so they won't pay for it.

Old 02-17-2024, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
So was it your lower back?
I’ve had 2 lower back fusions and my lower back started hurting again about a year ago
Doc says the full body scan and MRI proved the fusions look great
He pressed on my hip and thigh and there is pain gosh I would love to be able to walk again
I mean I can walk while holding onto a shopping cart and use a walker but to walk again would be awesome
Yes, low back

I refused surgery to go less invasive way

Dr said it might take several tries to finally work. Still might have to be repeated in future, but I'm OK with that

Old 02-17-2024, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Your post is unclear. i assume you mean both knees, since I've never heard anyone refer to both sides of the lumbar spine in that way. Also for people who don't know, by "injections" I assume you must mean the nerve anesthetic 'test" injection to see if the ablation is likely to succeed. If numbing the nerves doesn't relieve the pain, the nerve ablation won't either so they won't pay for it.
No, low back. Not knees

Old 02-18-2024, 06:30 AM

728 posts, read 463,804 times
I’ve had it done many times on both of my SI Joints. They typically last between six months to a year. The relief is about 80%. My insurance company, Medical Mutual, will not pay for it though.

Old 02-18-2024, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
I’ve had it done many times on both of my SI Joints. They typically last between six months to a year. The relief is about 80%. My insurance company, Medical Mutual, will not pay for it though.
so what happens do the nerves rejuvinate, is that why it doesn't last?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness