Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM

10,578 posts, read 7,793,544 times

Advertisements

Anyone else get these? Every once in awhile I do and they're quite unpleasant. It lasts for a few minutes, thankfully not too long.

This typically occurs while I'm in the process of eating. One trigger seems to be canned salmon for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 03:24 PM

14,966 posts, read 12,181,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Anyone else get these? Every once in awhile I do and they're quite unpleasant. It lasts for a few minutes, thankfully not too long.

This typically occurs while I'm in the process of eating. One trigger seems to be canned salmon for some reason.
I think I get those on occasion, and to me they feel like the way heart attacks are described. Pretty painful, but fortunately don't last more than a few minutes. I've had drinking cold water trigger those spasms, and find relief by chewing and swallowing a couple Tums. I don't know why that works ( unless the spasms are caused by acid reflux), but the relief from the Tums tells me I'm not having a heart attack.

Old 02-14-2024, 05:22 PM

30,478 posts, read 21,329,971 times
Acid can cause that.

Old 02-14-2024, 07:12 PM

10,578 posts, read 7,793,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I think I get those on occasion, and to me they feel like the way heart attacks are described. Pretty painful, but fortunately don't last more than a few minutes...
Yes, that's it. At least, seems about right. I haven't had a heart attack to date.

Old 02-15-2024, 04:04 PM

7,287 posts, read 5,165,355 times
https://us-browse.startpage.com/av/a...3cc85ff966f37e

"Corkscrew esophagus" in diffuse esophageal spasm. It looks as bad as it feels.

Old 02-15-2024, 04:24 PM

14,966 posts, read 12,181,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
https://us-browse.startpage.com/av/a...3cc85ff966f37e

"Corkscrew esophagus" in diffuse esophageal spasm. It looks as bad as it feels.
If that's a barium swallow it must have lasted longer than a few minutes.

Old 04-29-2024, 10:27 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,938,956 times
I get these. Feels like you've swallowed a Lego and it's going down very slowly. Mine have lasted longer than 10 minutes. It's painful.

The thing that cures this for me in a matter of seconds is peppermint. Eat mint leaves. Stops it immediately. Every single time. I grow peppermint in my backyard. And have peppermint oil on hand, as well. But eating the leaves seems to work the quickest.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Old 04-30-2024, 11:35 AM

1,065 posts, read 2,254,713 times
I’m not sure if it’s acid reflux, GERD or what, but lately on occasions I’ve been having some weird symptoms when I’m eating. Although it hasn’t happened recently, but around early to mid March for about 5 days I had a slight burning sensation when I swallow where it is felt around my stomach, and to my right side below my ribs and above my stomach. It hasn’t happened again, but this week when I was eating hot lasagna I felt a burning sensation on my right side of my back just below my shoulder blade, as well as occasional soreness in that area. Other than that I feel perfectly fine.

Old 04-30-2024, 11:56 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
Those spasms are the worst and I've never met anyone IRL that knows what I'm talking about! I started getting them over a decade ago when I ate, usually the first bite of food would do it, and it's painful and sometimes I've had to force myself to throw up to get the food 'unstuck'. I've had them last for up to 30 minutes a couple times too. It was happening every week and sometimes more so I went to the Dr she prescribed Verapamil and it was like a miracle, from the first day I took it I was probably spasm free for 7 years. Just a couple years ago they started happening again but not too frequently thank goodness. I went back to the Dr and she gave me a prescription strength Pepcid to take in addition to the Verapamil, and that solved most of my problems. I had an endoscopy a few days ago and the GI Dr found a slight constriction so he used a balloon type thing to stretch it out and is hopefully it's a permanent fix. Biopsies shows slight inflammation damage, probably because I didn't always treat my GERD when it first started, but said there was nothing significant wrong. Haven't had one in 4 months now so here's hoping!

Old 05-01-2024, 12:01 AM

427 posts, read 976,098 times
They have medications for esophageal spasms. Fluoxetine and Diltiazem are equally effective in treating it. Your doctor will have to decide which one to use depending on other health problems you may have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness