Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 10:19 PM

256 posts, read 113,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Good for you, just be careful. I had also quit for a year......
Oh, I know!!! I have to be vigilant every moment. I consider myself a 'recovering smoker.' All it would take is one, and I'd be back to smoking full-time.

My motto is N.O.P.E. -- not one puff ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 06:15 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Congrats, keep going. I smoked for 35 years. Newport Box. Last cig was at 6:45 pm on December 12, 2011.

Still feels good to be able to say, "I don't smoke".

Isn't it funny how we remember the time and day? 5:00am on May 16, 2022 for me.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:44 PM

1,117 posts, read 606,309 times
Congrats OP.

One year is indeed a grand anniversary. It pretty much marks the point where the urges are all pretty much a murmur.

It's funny how "attractive" smoking is. Even though I've been "quit" for over 20 yrs, I still miss the pure joy of smoking.

The joy of:

- opening a brand new virgin pack of cigs and smelling that lovely new cig smell.
- the breakfast of champions - a strong coffee and a cig.
- those 1st few deep inhalations when you were cooped up inside the "non smoking" environment.
- of course that post meal smoke.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.
- the kicker of it all - to have a cig while sipping on my Whisky (with one ice) or an ice cold beer with friends.

Not trying to tempt anybody into picking up the dirty habit, just amazed at how such a ridiculous habit can be so joyous.

Like everyone I am so happy to have quit. A pack of smokes costs $15... that would cost me over $3,000 / yr. Plus being a slave to the "next puff". People stepping away from you because you stink (you notice that odor after quitting). And of course your health... no more slowly tarring up the lungs.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:51 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Good for you… keep up the good work!

Old 02-22-2024, 08:04 PM

1,425 posts, read 663,047 times
Congrats. It's a huge accomplishment !

Old 02-22-2024, 09:16 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
Geez, I'm remembering when breakfast was a cigarette and a cup of coffee.

Then after 55 years of heavy tobacco use I decided to stop smoking and start repairing.

My quit journey has been challenging, but so rewarding.

You can do it too!
I guess I'm 19 years Tobacco free, ending with chewing Copenhagen back in 2005.

Also sober from alcohol and drugs for over 20 years now.

Cigarettes, what a nasty stinky intrusive and useless habit.

People who smoke smell putrid.

Edit: that sounds harsh, but I wish smokers knew how it affects others.

Drinking is no picnic neither.

Last edited by McGowdog; 02-22-2024 at 10:34 PM..

Old 02-24-2024, 01:35 AM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Happy Anniversary, AngelWing! I'm here to tell you that 40 years later, I wouldn't touch a cigarette if you paid me a million dollars. Smoking is nasty. And expensive. One reason I quit is that I got tired of being a slave to the tobacco industry. Like a lot of other people, I still remember where I was and what I was doing when I smoked my last cigarette.

They used to say that you never stop craving cigarettes, but that's a lie. I think what it really is, is that you never forget what it felt like to crave a cigarette.

People think of quitting smoking as giving up something, but look what you get in return: You get clear lungs, sweeter breath, calmer nerves, an enhanced sense of smell and taste, more energy, better sleep and higher self-esteem. You also get no more panicking if you're out of cigarettes, if the store doesn't carry your brand, if you can't find a match, and no more feeling guilty around non-smokers,

Old 02-24-2024, 10:38 AM

256 posts, read 113,803 times
Thank you for your replies....Congratulations to all the ex-smokers who quit years ago! Commendable and a remarkable achievement!

Old 02-25-2024, 01:01 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Congrats OP.

One year is indeed a grand anniversary. It pretty much marks the point where the urges are all pretty much a murmur.

It's funny how "attractive" smoking is. Even though I've been "quit" for over 20 yrs, I still miss the pure joy of smoking.

The joy of:

- opening a brand new virgin pack of cigs and smelling that lovely new cig smell.
- the breakfast of champions - a strong coffee and a cig.
- those 1st few deep inhalations when you were cooped up inside the "non smoking" environment.
- of course that post meal smoke.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.
- the kicker of it all - to have a cig while sipping on my Whisky (with one ice) or an ice cold beer with friends.

Not trying to tempt anybody into picking up the dirty habit, just amazed at how such a ridiculous habit can be so joyous.

Like everyone I am so happy to have quit. A pack of smokes costs $15... that would cost me over $3,000 / yr. Plus being a slave to the "next puff". People stepping away from you because you stink (you notice that odor after quitting). And of course your health... no more slowly tarring up the lungs.
Beautifully described. Ah, memories.

Old 02-25-2024, 01:04 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Happy Anniversary, AngelWing! I'm here to tell you that 40 years later, I wouldn't touch a cigarette if you paid me a million dollars. Smoking is nasty. And expensive. One reason I quit is that I got tired of being a slave to the tobacco industry. Like a lot of other people, I still remember where I was and what I was doing when I smoked my last cigarette.

They used to say that you never stop craving cigarettes, but that's a lie. I think what it really is, is that you never forget what it felt like to crave a cigarette.

People think of quitting smoking as giving up something, but look what you get in return: You get clear lungs, sweeter breath, calmer nerves, an enhanced sense of smell and taste, more energy, better sleep and higher self-esteem. You also get no more panicking if you're out of cigarettes, if the store doesn't carry your brand, if you can't find a match, and no more feeling guilty around non-smokers,
Definitely true. The benefits of quitting far outweigh the joys of smoking. That wonderful jolt of nicotine that set the brain in motion in the morning (with the coffee as a sidekick) came with a cough and a stink that stuck to your hair and clothes.

It still was nice to revisit those memories for a moment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness