Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 07:28 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times

Advertisements

Urgent care only exists because our inadequate medical system has left us with insufficient affordable doctors. And did you know that urgent care centers can differ vastly, and some don't even necessarily have an MD on the premises?

Just What the (Urgent Care) Doctor Ordered
If you live in the United States, you’ve most likely experienced the glacial pace of getting medical treatment. It can take weeks to see a primary care doctor, and an emergency room visit can set you back many hours.
But why is it so slow? Doctors are treating more patients than they did previously, says Dr. Ari Friedman, assistant professor of emergency medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. With primary care doctors overburdened, navigating the current health care system can feel overwhelming for patients. That’s one reason urgent care centers are on the rise.
https://dnyuz.com/2023/11/17/just-wh...octor-ordered/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 08:57 PM

3,441 posts, read 2,417,054 times
Primary care doctors are overburdened because high school kids are being indoctrinated into believing that the medical profession is untrustworthy. What kind of high school kid would WANT to go to college and become a doctor?

Because of immigration policy, many qualified, excellent physicians from other countries can't - or refuse - to work in the USA as many once did. And many excellent college candidates who want to go into medicine in the USA, are being rejected because of the country they came from.

Old 02-01-2024, 05:19 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,906,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Primary care doctors are overburdened because high school kids are being indoctrinated into believing that the medical profession is untrustworthy. What kind of high school kid would WANT to go to college and become a doctor?

Because of immigration policy, many qualified, excellent physicians from other countries can't - or refuse - to work in the USA as many once did. And many excellent college candidates who want to go into medicine in the USA, are being rejected because of the country they came from.

Actually the real problem is the AMA where it limits the number of doctors entering the field. Many qualified candidates get let out in the cold!
Then, because of money, most want to go into specialized care which almost certainly means an Urban setting.
Bless the doctors coming in from other countries, without them we would REALLY be in trouble!
Just a note, I see no movement with HS kids about doctors being untrustworthy, no clue where that idea came from!

Old 02-01-2024, 06:17 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,335,726 times
I actually really appreciate urgent care centers. No need for an appointment, and a PA can handle most routine medical issues just as well as a doctor. Not sure what the problem is.

The main reason our system is over burdened is the people that think they need medical attention for every little thing. Going to the doctor for a common cold and/or flu is ridiculous. Besides an annual physical, I barely ever need to go to the doctor, but urgent care is a really nice option.

Old 02-01-2024, 06:41 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I actually really appreciate urgent care centers. No need for an appointment, and a PA can handle most routine medical issues just as well as a doctor. Not sure what the problem is.

The main reason our system is over burdened is the people that think they need medical attention for every little thing. Going to the doctor for a common cold and/or flu is ridiculous. Besides an annual physical, I barely ever need to go to the doctor, but urgent care is a really nice option.
This^^^^^. Additionally, urgent care centers were set up to relieve the number of people who use hospital ER's for their routine medical care. Some people go to ERs for the colds, flu, stubbed toes, minor conditions they've had for a while, clogging up ER services and delaying ER care for those with true emergencies. I've heard some of these people complain about the urgent care centers and saying they prefer the ERs because the urgent care places want their payment for services at the time of service and the bills that come later for the ER visits can be flipped off.

Guess I am lucky. It'd have to be a true life threatening emergency for me to go to the ER, but on the rare occasions I've needed medical care for a problem that's come up, my primary care doc has been most responsive to my requests/questions, and I have been able to get an appointment at the latest the following day. My husband has had the same experience with his primary care doc.

Old 02-01-2024, 07:21 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
I think urgent care is perfectly suited for exactly what it states, things that are urgent but not true emergencies. IMO my doctor's office is basically for routine care, wellness exams, follow upvisits, that kind of thing. I've used urgent care for things like a burst ear drum, stepping on glass and needing stitches, workman's comp visit after pulling a muscle, things that I don't really want to put off for 24 hours or more, but not quite at the level of an emergency.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
The last time I went to urgent care (about a year ago) I had broken my left upper arm! I was pretty surprised by that but I was seen quickly and efficiently. They referred me quickly and all went as planned there. I went to some PT and that went well too. No complaints.

I do think that as we get older, things can become more serious more quickly, and we have an aging population in many areas. For instance, I think I probably fell and broke my arm because I am older (62).

Old 02-01-2024, 08:38 AM

733 posts, read 469,121 times
I had an awesome internist about a year ago, wasn’t with him for maybe even two years. He was in his thirties. He left his practice to go back to college and get his MBA degree. I think he was just frustrated with not having to spend enough time with each of his patients.~Iluvbeagles

Old 02-01-2024, 08:52 AM

983 posts, read 609,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
This^^^^^. Additionally, urgent care centers were set up to relieve the number of people who use hospital ER's for their routine medical care. Some people go to ERs for the colds, flu, stubbed toes, minor conditions they've had for a while, clogging up ER services and delaying ER care for those with true emergencies. I've heard some of these people complain about the urgent care centers and saying they prefer the ERs because the urgent care places want their payment for services at the time of service and the bills that come later for the ER visits can be flipped off.

Guess I am lucky. It'd have to be a true life threatening emergency for me to go to the ER, but on the rare occasions I've needed medical care for a problem that's come up, my primary care doc has been most responsive to my requests/questions, and I have been able to get an appointment at the latest the following day. My husband has had the same experience with his primary care doc.
I've used urgent care if I needed stitches and once when I had a terrible ear infection. I went to the ER a few years ago and that was life threatening. Fluid around my heart was causing severe pain and breathing problems, felt like a heart attack. Was in Intensive care for a couple of days.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:02 AM

9,869 posts, read 7,740,106 times
I have no problem with Urgent Care centers at all. It's exactly what we need for those acute issues that don't need long term care management.

I like having health care choices. I like the urgent care centers and I like the newer telehealth options. I don't see any reason why most people would need to see their primary care doctor for every particular health issue.

I do wish that more smart people could become doctors. My brilliant niece couldn't get into medical school so she's gone into research instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness