Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2024, 11:45 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times

Advertisements

Every now and then for the last six months or so, my thumbs have been cramping at odd times. The cramps occur in my palms, where the thumbs join the hands.

It's pretty minor pain, and goes away after just a few seconds.

It doesn't seem to happen in response to something I'm doing, like I'm not trying to open a jar or sweep or something.

And usually both thumbs cramp at the same time, which is weird. If it was reaction to movement, it would probably be only one thumb.

Possible causes according to Google:
Magnesium deficiency (though I take three tabs a day to ward off RLS)
Dehydration; I drink water all day, and have no other symptoms

Another random possibility:
Antibiotics? I'm on IV meropenem; cramps are not on the list of side effects.

I'll be seeing my doc in a month, and will ask then, but it would nice to figure this out sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 06:13 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,123,089 times
https://www.drugs.com/sfx/meropenem-side-effects.html Scroll down to the For Professionals section where they give you percentages.

Myalgia (muscle pains) & arthralgia (joint pains) and even more rarely muscle cramps have been reported with meropenem (an antibiotic related to amoxicillin)

It's also reported to cause hypoglycemia in a fair number of patients (1-10%)-- Even mild hypoglycemia may cause muscle cramping. Muscle over-use can cause glycogen depletion in muscle leading to cramps. Doing a lot of texting with your thumbs while you're sick?

K, Ca & Mg disturbances all can cause muscle cramps...which may be caused by aggravation of kidney disease while taking this antibiotic.

Cramping can be a sign of neurological disease, like MS....but what are the chances this shows up for the first time just when you're taking an antibiotic?

Old 01-31-2024, 09:08 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
Thanks, that might be why my knees are suddenly on strike, too.
I'll call the doc today.

Looking at recent blood tests, Ca is a little low, K is holding on, and they don't test for Mg, but I've started taking an extra tablet at night.

Haven't actually been using my thumbs much. I use forefingers to text, and here on my tablet. They aren't complaining at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness