Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 07:19 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
the flu "shot" never purported to be a vaccine, unlike the covid potion.
wth?

Old 02-21-2024, 07:23 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
wth?
What are you having trouble understanding?

It was never said to "vaccinate" anyone. It's simply a shot that MAY HELP you avoid it or lessen the severity if you get it. MAY. HELP. That's why it's referred to as a "shot" and not a "vaccine."

Compare to the measles, mumps, smallpox, tetanus, rabies, etc. VACCINE which guarantees you won't get it.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:28 PM

1,380 posts, read 724,060 times
I never heard anyone say that getting the "shot" or "vaccine" for covid would make you immune to it. Never heard or read that over the last 2 yrs. What I have heard and read many times over was that the "shot/vaccine" would just make the case of covid IF you did get it would make it less serious a case of it. That is how I see any shot/vaccine flu, covid otherwise. It's not about immunity. I'm surprised people even think that.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
I never heard anyone say that getting the "shot" or "vaccine" for covid would make you immune to it. I'm surprised people even think that.
LOL!! Oh, please! The revisionist history on this subject is laughable.

But we keep hijacking the thread. It's about SYMPTOMS.

Sorry, OP.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:11 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,403,870 times
The flu and COVID vaccines both work to reduce risk. COVID vaccine reduces the risk of serious symptoms if you end up contracting the virus. Influenza vaccine reduces the risk of contracting the flu, AND reducing the risk of serious symptoms if you end up getting the flu anyway.

Flu, COVID, and RSV all have symptoms that overlap. And of course they all have symptoms that overlap with "a cold" - which is a catch-all term describing a few different infections, including a coronavirus, but not COVID-19. COVID-19 is not the only coronavirus in existence, and "the common cold" was the most common up until COVID-19 showed up.

Stuffy nose, runny nose, dry cough, wheezing, shortness of breath, general malaise, headache, fever, muscle aches, body aches, are all symptoms of COVID and symptoms of the influenza (flu) virus. RSV is mostly upper respiratory but coughing can make a person nauseated and give them a headache, plus coughing and shortness of breath can cause fatigue.

So you can see there are a lot of symptoms that all these different illnesses share, and this is the season for them all.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What are you having trouble understanding?

It was never said to "vaccinate" anyone. It's simply a shot that MAY HELP you avoid it or lessen the severity if you get it. MAY. HELP. That's why it's referred to as a "shot" and not a "vaccine."

Compare to the measles, mumps, smallpox, tetanus, rabies, etc. VACCINE which guarantees you won't get it.
I have never in my life heard anyone suggest that the Flu Shot is not a vaccine. Ditto "Shingles shot" "Pneumonia shot" and "Tetanus shot". These are vaccines that need to be repeated. That's all.

I'm going to share this with those of my siblings who do not have a medical background and see if they, too, have this misunderstanding. It could be a regional thing.

Regardless, the CoVid "shots" are vaccines.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:13 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,403,870 times
It appears that otterhere and others are confusing the terms that get confused.

There is no confusion, among the actual medical field, with the terms "shot" and "vaccine." A "shot" is a vaccine that's introduced to your body via a needle/syringe. There are also oral vaccines, but those are not called "shots."

There is a third term that I think people are just - not quite understanding, or have forgotten about its existence - the word "immunization." Immunizations can also be shots. The shot called Shingrix is an immunization vaccine. The Flu shot does not offer immunization, but it's still a vaccine. There are the MMR shot, the COVID-19, the Polio shot, Tetanus shot, etc. etc. They're ALL vaccines, but only some of them are immunizations.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:49 AM

^^^ Great point! I tried to rep you, but was directed to spread the love.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
It appears that otterhere and others are confusing the terms that get confused.

There is no confusion, among the actual medical field, with the terms "shot" and "vaccine." A "shot" is a vaccine that's introduced to your body via a needle/syringe. There are also oral vaccines, but those are not called "shots."

There is a third term that I think people are just - not quite understanding, or have forgotten about its existence - the word "immunization." Immunizations can also be shots. The shot called Shingrix is an immunization vaccine. The Flu shot does not offer immunization, but it's still a vaccine. There are the MMR shot, the COVID-19, the Polio shot, Tetanus shot, etc. etc. They're ALL vaccines, but only some of them are immunizations.
I'm not confused. I just am not going to call a SHOT a VACCINE necessarily, unless it offers immunity from a disease. That used to be the definition, but it's no longer the definition of a vaccine. The definition was changed from the one that was in place since 2013 in 2021 to: "used to stimulate the body’s immune response against noninfectious substances, agents, or diseases." Suddenly, now, people are dying of coronavirus, who have been vaccinated repeatedly against it. Nope, not taking any more shots for it - I don't think it works well enough to justify the hassle. Besides that, plenty of people who have never had a shot have had very mild cases of COVID, not requiring hospitalization at all.

By the way, I have never had an adverse effect from a vaccination, and wasn't expecting one from the COVID shot or vaccination or whatever you want to call it. And I didn't have an adverse reaction to the first two. But wow, I sure did from the last one, so again - no thanks. I mean, I think the symptoms have subsided, finally, after a year but to be honest I'm a little afraid to go find out.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:48 AM

Of course, a "shot" is injected with a needle... I think we can all figure that out? But a "shot" that is NOT a vaccine and does not immunize is MERELY a "shot," whereas the others are true vaccines and immunizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness