Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 06:29 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
What is everyone's experience with COVID infections this winter? In my local area, seems like tons of people sick but hardly anyone is doing any testing since many you have to pay $20 at CVS now for a box if you didn't order the free one.

CDC still has 5 days isolation I think, but you can use a negative testing strategy to end sooner?

Seems like most common is a sudden, bad sore throat, nasal congestion or runny nose and chills WITHOUT fever. That could be a common cold also I guess. These are the symptoms I've seen with people who have had 2 covid vaccines. Many didn't get the latest on that came out in the fall 2023.

In terms of Paxlovid, they are still not handing that out very easily.
My wife and I both tested positive back in the first week of January. First time ever having it, for both of us.

About 5 days of heavy sinus congestion and low grade fever (100F) and then another week or so getting rid of it. No lower respiratory infection. Three weeks later, no lingering effects whatsoever.

We both had full complement of vaccines and boosters which most likely reduced the severity and the duration.

Old 02-14-2024, 11:54 AM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times
CDC is ending its 5 day isolation for COVID soon, and recommendations will be more in line with the flu and other viruses. It's about time. Not that I know many people who stay home for 5 days currently anyway.

Report - CDC Plans to Drop 5 day isolation
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ation-guidance

Old 02-14-2024, 01:57 PM

17,597 posts, read 13,372,722 times
I know of 10 confirmed cases here in Cincinnati, Sarasota and in Nashville within the past 2 weeks

One very serious, rest not bad. 4 vaccinated, 2 no vaccination and 2 ??

Old 02-17-2024, 09:11 PM

2,307 posts, read 1,526,346 times
It seems to be raging in Sydney, in steamy late summer weather. All that is now published are fortnightly figures from sewage surveillance, which last reported moderate to high levels of Covid activity. Flu is currently low. Most cases are mild but my closest friend and her husband and my husband’s brother and wife have all had it in the past two weeks. One for the first time.

Old 02-18-2024, 08:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Two people from work got COVID and it was very, very mild. They didn't even test positive till about the third day of mild symptoms. Oddly, around the same time, lots of people from work caught a cold, like the worst cold ever, me included. I tested repeatedly because I was just sure I had COVID, but all tests came up negative, as they did with the others. My sales manager even texted me and told me to retake the test because the first one for my coworkers came up negative, and I did, but no one else, including me, ever tested positive. I tested three times over a week and never tested positive for COVID.

I had a fever for a few days, a very sore throat, and was coughing like crazy. In fact, I was wondering how one head could produce so much liquid! LOL my joke was that if I could just cut off my head, I'd feel fine. Even my eyes and ears were watering - it was so weird. But also absolutely incapacitating. I even tried to go back to work after about four or five days but my sales manager sent me home because I was coughing so much! I actually felt better though, I guess because the fever was gone. A friend of mine got it too, and was sick for a month, but tested negative for COVID BUT positive for the flu. So who knows. She even got pneumonia. I never got that and in fact I never went to the doctor. I have been fine for weeks now. This was for the entire month of January through.

By the way, I was traveling a lot in 2021 and 2022 and therefore got three COVID "vaccines." After the third one, I had a terrible headache for four days, and ain't nobody got time fo dat! Also, my blood pressure went up (thankfully it's going back down now, in 2024). So I didn't get any more shots. You know what - I don't even call anything, not even flu shots "vaccines" because I don't call anything that only gives some immunity for some strain of something for less than a year a "vaccine." It's a shot to me.

And I still got COVID. It was mild but it was also mild for people who did not get the shots. So there's that. I know one person, ONE, who died of COVID. And she had COPD already and her daughter had told me she wasn't going to make it through 2023, and she didn't, regardless of COVID or not. And she had had five COVID shots. It was a terrible thing to watch.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-18-2024 at 08:25 AM..

Old 02-18-2024, 08:17 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
I had that same virus, KA, as we discussed at the time. It was the WORST. I think I may even have developed pneumonia (it was definitely a lower respiratory tract infection with wheezing and ronchi along with the ridiculous "messiness" of a head cold.

I'm also hearing about a ton of people who are barely sick with very mild symptoms or none at all testing positive for Covid, and they're all up to date on their boosters.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the shots themselves caused people to test positive?

Old 02-18-2024, 01:57 PM

37,113 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't even call anything, not even flu shots "vaccines" because I don't call anything that only gives some immunity for some strain of something for less than a year a "vaccine." It's a shot to me.
"Shot" is a lay term for injection.

The covid and flu vaccines are still vaccines, even if less effective than some others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Wouldn't it be interesting if the shots themselves caused people to test positive?
The vaccines do not contain anything that would produce a positive test for the virus.

Old 02-18-2024, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
"Shot" is a lay term for injection.

The covid and flu vaccines are still vaccines, even if less effective than some others.

The vaccines do not contain anything that would produce a positive test for the virus.
They are NOT "vaccines."

Old 02-18-2024, 06:50 PM

37,113 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
They are NOT "vaccines."
Then what are they, and why do the labels say vaccine?

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-p...ine-1891903774

Old 02-18-2024, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Then what are they, and why do the labels say vaccine?

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-p...ine-1891903774
This thread isn't the place to discuss that (there are other Covid threads; we're both on one of them), and it wouldn't do any good anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness