Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 08:46 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,423,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
What good are they,if they don`t work. Like BostonMike said, they are not reliable. If the test are still good, why do they have a past experation date on them. Mine were already expired, when they were mailed to me. People have to take 3 or 4 test, before one comes back positive. People are getting false results.
ALL tests have a chance to return a false positive or negative result. All medical tests. All blood tests, all spit tests, all urine tests, all patch tests.

I only had to take the test once to learn that I was positive for COVID. My test had expired. I took a second one the next day to be sure, and it was also positive. Around 8 days later after I'd recovered and all that was left was a lingering cough, I tested negative. That was this time around.

The last time, I had only lost my sense of smell. The first test was positive. I had no other symptoms, and that symptom went away a day later. The second test, around 4 days later, was negative.

Hundreds of people have symptoms AND test positive for COVID with their expired home tests. So obviously - they're working. But maybe they're just not working for special people. Y'know, the people who insist that it's a hoax, and that testing is useless, or that injecting bleach will fix everything. Or that masks do nothing.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:50 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,423,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Where am I excusing them for their behavior? And who is going to change who?

And all I'm saying is that MOST people do not have the luxury of just staying home and resting. Not everyone has a nanny, you have to got to school sometimes for pickup/drop off. Groceries need to be bought. Vacation days are not plentiful or you may not even get vacation. There are all sorts of things that need to be done during the day and just because you have the Common cold, doesn't stop anyone. I haven't seen it. People are now treating Covid the same as nobody gets tested.

Sure, if you have a 103 degree fever and can't stand up straight, they might stay at home. But not for mild symptoms.
If you have mild symptoms, then you can help to NOT make everyone else at work, at school, at the grocery store get sick by: wearing a mask, keeping your distance when possible, and washing your hands.

And by not justifying not doing any of those things, by pretending you didn't notice that I specified that already.

Old 01-30-2024, 04:12 AM

449 posts, read 284,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Yeah. They were unreliable. So many negative tests before getting a positive on day 4. That was true for myself, my wife and my son. None tested positive on day 1/2 despite fever and other symptoms.
I believe that even back in the early days of covid, people didn't test positive right away. It took more than a day or two to show up on the test. I don't think that's anything new.

Old 01-30-2024, 08:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
What is everyone's experience with COVID infections this winter? In my local area, seems like tons of people sick but hardly anyone is doing any testing since many you have to pay $20 at CVS now for a box if you didn't order the free one.

CDC still has 5 days isolation I think, but you can use a negative testing strategy to end sooner?

Seems like most common is a sudden, bad sore throat, nasal congestion or runny nose and chills WITHOUT fever. That could be a common cold also I guess. These are the symptoms I've seen with people who have had 2 covid vaccines. Many didn't get the latest on that came out in the fall 2023.

In terms of Paxlovid, they are still not handing that out very easily.
I got a terrible sore throat, nasal congestion and runny nose w/low grade fever, and never tested positive for COVID though I took the test three different days. OMG, I coughed for a month! Lord help me. I did not have the flu or pneumonia either. I think it was just a bad cold - I get a bad cold about once every ten years or so. I got COVID about a year ago (tested positive on Day 1 with an expired test, and then tested positive for I think three more days with expired tests and then began testing negative with the same expired tests) and was prescribed Paxlovid and took one dose and never took another, because the side effects were supposedly the same as COVID symptoms and I was basically GUARANTEED a relapse so I thought "Why am I even taking this crap?" and just stopped. This was after three COVID shots. I am not calling them vaccines because they didn't prevent me from getting COVID. I didn't test positive after the low grade fever broke (day three, I believe) but I still stayed home and isolated for five days, per the doctor's orders.

Several people from work had the same thing. And one person had COVID though the others didn't. And they DID test, some with expired tests but still, we're told they probably work, and mine apparently did.

I have known many people who got COVID and it was a very mild case in spite of them not being "vaccinated." I also only know one person who actually got COVID and died, and she had been "vaccinated" five times, and still caught it, and still DIED from it. So I don't know - I wouldn't want anyone's death on my conscience, that's for sure. So other than not taking the Paxlovid (which I might even still have, though I might have thrown it away), I followed my doctor's instructions. Oh, one other instruction I didn't follow - I was supposed to wear a mask for five days after the five days of isolation and I didn't wear the mask. I WAS wearing it but my boss told me "You're freaking me out more with the mask than without it!" I only worked part time so it was only for a day or two at the most, and basically I just stayed away from people - the social distancing stuff.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 01-30-2024 at 09:24 AM..

Old 01-30-2024, 09:05 AM

21,887 posts, read 12,991,949 times
They are NOT "vaccines"; they prevent neither contraction nor transmission, and whether or not they even lessen severity is highly debatable. They ARE, however, highly profitable!

Old 01-30-2024, 09:38 AM

449 posts, read 284,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
They are NOT "vaccines"; they prevent neither contraction nor transmission, and whether or not they even lessen severity is highly debatable.
They are now. Now that Seedy See changed the definition of what a vaccine is. I think under the current definition, we can now call Tylenol a vaccine.

Old 01-30-2024, 12:13 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
What is everyone's experience with COVID infections this winter? In my local area, seems like tons of people sick but hardly anyone is doing any testing since many you have to pay $20 at CVS now for a box if you didn't order the free one.

CDC still has 5 days isolation I think, but you can use a negative testing strategy to end sooner?

Seems like most common is a sudden, bad sore throat, nasal congestion or runny nose and chills WITHOUT fever. That could be a common cold also I guess. These are the symptoms I've seen with people who have had 2 covid vaccines. Many didn't get the latest on that came out in the fall 2023.

In terms of Paxlovid, they are still not handing that out very easily.
I got it in November, and I absolutely had a fever and excruciatingly painful sore throat, both were immediate, along with major congestion and all the other miserable crap. I never got the last booster - wish I had, that might have made it less miserable. I got my tests online - was more reasonable than in the drugstore - the free ones didn't arrive in time for me to use them.

I can tell you, it sucked. My fever was gone in a few days, but Thanksgiving day was the worst of it (obviously I spent it alone LOL!), and I had a negative test the next week - I waited until I was fairly sure as I didn't want to have to buy more tests. I isolated for a total of 2 weeks, but that was November, and honestly it was nearly mid-December before I finally stopped having coughing fits. I was having to take something just to sleep, some nights, because of the coughing. I was worried that I was going to have a problem on my long 8 hour flight to Germany in December, but thank goodness I was pretty much over the cough by the time I headed to the airport. I had cough medicine with me just in case!

Old 01-30-2024, 12:16 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
What good are they,if they don`t work. Like BostonMike said, they are not reliable. If the test are still good, why do they have a past experation date on them. Mine were already expired, when they were mailed to me. People have to take 3 or 4 test, before one comes back positive. People are getting false results.
Mine worked. The very first test was positive. I took two more before I finally got a negative.

Old 01-30-2024, 02:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Mine worked. The very first test was positive. I took two more before I finally got a negative.
Yes, and I took several that showed negative after the first several showed positive.

Old 01-30-2024, 06:20 PM

2,278 posts, read 1,674,072 times
DH and I both had Covid for the first time (I think) early last fall. We had at least 4 Covid shots and would have gotten the new one but it had not come out yet.

DH developed some congestion, like a cold, and said he felt somewhat fatigued so I pulled out our latest set of expired Covid tests. He was positive. Then I started to think I had felt a little chilled and so tested myself. Really surprised to see a positive. No extra tests so we stayed home and isolated.

Neither one of us had a headache, cough, fever or muscle aches, etc. I never would have guessed I even had it so I tend to think much more of the population actually had Covid than realized it. I wish I knew what strain it was but I was a little relieved going into winter with some natural immunity. Everybody reacts differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness