Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 08:47 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,006,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfour View Post
I was using a vision plan, but in the past he's done a full vision test with the same plan.
Does the plan state you will always get a comprehensive exam on the schedule you're using, or does the plan call for certain more comprehensive exams at certain intervals and lesser exams at more frequent intervals? Like many types of coverage, things can change every benefit period, so what was last year or last month may have changed the week before you had your the exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2024, 08:12 AM

1,492 posts, read 797,129 times
As with any prescription, it is only good for one year.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:48 AM

14,319 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
As with any prescription, it is only good for one year.
Eyeglass prescriptions, at least where I live (California) are good for two years.

Contact lens prescriptions, one year.

We've always been given the prescription without asking, but by all means, if someone isn't just handed theirs, they should ask.

Old 01-27-2024, 09:07 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,235,753 times
If he didn't give you a written copy, perhaps he thought that the front desk was going to give it to you at the end when you paid? Regardless you could probably call them up and talk to the people at the front desk and ask them to mail you a copy. Or drop in and just ask them to print it for you.

Length of exam doesn't tell much, IMO. Sometimes mine are long, sometimes not. It's because sometimes the answers I give aren't so clear, so they go back and repeat a couple of the settings to see how I answer.

Old 01-27-2024, 09:16 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Did OP question the physician about the exam? Did OP request a paper prescription?

Old 01-27-2024, 10:16 AM

6,823 posts, read 14,039,451 times
I order all of my eye glasses online and you need to ask for a copy of your prescription. If nothing has changed they simply need to update your current prescription. You should ask them to include your PD measurement on the prescription (online company is going to require it). Your eye doctor is required by law to provide you a written prescription.

Old 01-27-2024, 06:35 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I order all of my eye glasses online and you need to ask for a copy of your prescription. If nothing has changed they simply need to update your current prescription. You should ask them to include your PD measurement on the prescription (online company is going to require it). Your eye doctor is required by law to provide you a written prescription.
In every state?

I am 65. I have worn glasses since third grade. I have NEVER been given a written prescription, ever, from any eye doctor. I guess you have to ask for it.

Old 01-27-2024, 07:51 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,196,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think some of you get what the guy is asking. He wants to know how he gets the prescription from the eye doctor so he can buy glasses elsewhere if he wants. The rest of his post was just background noise. I would like to know that, too.

Do they just GIVE it to you if you ask them? I can get one pair of glasses each year at a discount through my eye doctor via my insurance, but they are still pricey. I'd like some backup pairs. When I started to talk about it once, he got very defensive and said I wouldn't get the anti-glare and quality and whatnot that I get from him...so I just backed off. But some people seem to actually be able to get their scrip from their eye doctors.
Don’t even mention the prescription to the doctor.
Ask the receptionist to print out the prescription for you from your file when you pay/settle for the visit.
The doctors usually don’t write down just 1 measurement - the distance between the pupils.

You could:
- Go to optometrist desk at your Dr or any other optometrist and ask them to measure it for you.
They may charge you 25-30 dollars.
- You could use an average 60 mm. Some people have asymmetry between the left and right pupil location so one could have 30 and 31mm distance or so
- The various on-line eyeglasses providers each have their own system to help you self measure the distance.
- consumer clubs like BJ or Costco could measure it for you if you ask - free.

Old 01-28-2024, 05:36 AM

6,429 posts, read 4,920,252 times
Online glasses are great if you have a simple prescription and can tolerate prism. I was in the field for 50+ years. We rarely had anyone buy glasses online, but it is becoming more prevalent now. Now that I am retired and live far away I purchased VSP insurance for my wife and myself. I found a fantastic doctor (who I had to ask for specifically) who really knew his stuff and gave us thorough and complete eye exams. My insurance covers annual eye exam. Anybody can hang a chart on the wall and read the letters, but you need to have you eye health checked every year. OP, contact your insurance company and see what is covered in terms of eye exam.

Old 01-28-2024, 05:55 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
According to the Federal Trade Commission's website:

"The Federal Trade Commission enforces the Eyeglass Rule. It requires eye doctors ― ophthalmologists and optometrists ― to give patients a copy of their prescription ― whether they ask for it or not. It’s the law."

https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidanc...-eyeglass-rule
I recently had an optometry exam, and was given my prescription without asking. I saved so much money buying my glasses online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness