Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2024, 05:23 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,662,820 times

Advertisements

I've run into something like this - though luckily not so serious.

The FDA warned an asthma drug could induce despair. Many were never told.
Children face the greatest risks of the drug’s ill effects, and while usage by minors did decline, it was still taken by 1.6 million of them — including Nicole Sims’ son. Sims had no idea why, at 6, her son started having nightmares and hallucinations of a woman in the window.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/nation-w...ma-drug-could/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2024, 04:58 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,123,089 times
???? Another bit of stupidity from The Feds to benefit the trial lawyers?

The studies showed no significant differences in rates of depression, self-harm or suicide among the med users vs general population https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safet...d-allergy-drug scroll down to "data" if you're in a hurry.....The self-admitted "weakness" in the data is that it included only reported problems, and was not a double-blind, case/control prospective study.

Old 01-22-2024, 07:19 AM

14,938 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Well, I don't know about despair, but Singulair, or its generic counterpart monteleukast has been my daughter's go to medication in controlling her asthma, and it would seem other inflammatory processes since she was a child. It's still very effective for her in this regard.

I recall paying $100 a month for the Singulair prescription before the generic became available- that was with the insurance-, but we found the cost worth it due to how well her asthma was controlled with the drug. She found the generic form was just as effective, thank goodness as the cost of her prescriptions for the monteleukast were a fraction of the brand name and she could get a 90 day supply. She's gone through a period of time within the last couple years where she went without the monteleukast- thanks to a pharmacy screwup ( they claimed they had filled a 3month supply of the med but had not, and said they would not fill it again for 3 months, and she ran out) She should have appealed to her insurance company but didn't, so she was partially responsible. She was reminded again, how effective the monteleukast was at controlling her asthma as she had a number of exacerbations of both asthma, and allergic reactions to who knows what resulting in skin rashes in the period of time she went without the drug. These disappeared when she was able to get the drug once more.

So I hope the FDA doesn't decide to take the Singulair off the market, or limits its availability in a knee jerk reaction to this "finding" reported by whoever it is and for whatever motive they may have in doing so.

Old 01-22-2024, 09:59 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Yea, don't argue with success.

Side effects occur in X% of users-- but that's the experience over the total population of users. For any individual user, it's either 100% or 0%--- one guy can't get X% of a side effect.

I couldn't access the article in the OP, but for the one I cited, they found 45 suicides among 450,000 teenage users- that's 1 in 10,000...Given that the suicide rate for teens in the general population is 1.2 in 10,000 (and rising), we could make a case that this stuff is a good treatment for suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness