Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 10:13 AM

417 posts, read 816,073 times

Advertisements

I have an OBGYN appointment set up but the anxiety is driving me crazy as I try to understand what may be causing my issues. I am fearing ovarian and uterine/endometrial cancer but maybe there are other possibilities.

To start, I had a colonoscopy 4 years ago; two benign polyps (4 mm and 2mm) were removed. I had a pelvic and Pap smear less than a year ago. I had been experiencing cramps during arousal and orgasm, which was awful, but OBGYN said there was no evidence of anything wrong.

Just before the new year, I noticed spotting in my underwear. Last week I noticed again, and it’s happening once more now. I have noticed, but can’t confirm, that the blood comes after a bowel movement. I’m 90% certain that the blood is vaginal, not anal. I have this vision of a giant tumor in me, pushing on my internal organs and causing blood whenever I have to defecate. I feel no pain. I haven’t lost weight, in fact, I have been gaining weight (too much food, too little exercise…I know that’s bad, no need to shame me because I feel enough self shame). I’m not feeling particularly tired. I sometimes think I notice minor uterine cramps but could be my imagination because I’m so worried.

I scheduled my doc appt for the soonest appointment available but am going to call next week to see if there’s any way to squeeze me in sooner.

I’m not sure what I’m even looking for with this post. Positive thoughts? Encouragement to not dwell on negative thoughts until I know what I’m dealing with? Someone who has similar symptoms? I don’t know, but it just feels better to write it out somewhere since I don’t have a ton of people in my life to discuss this with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 10:36 AM

307 posts, read 255,495 times
Sorry you are going through this! My mom had something similar and needed a hysterectomy b/c of post menopausal bleeding. She ended up with stage 1 uterine cancer. That was 2 years ago and so far she's still fine. She had been taking HRT for years though and not the kind that had progesterone in it (honest to God her Dr should be sued for malpractice).

So it could be that, a polyp, or a fibroid as they can all cause bleeding/cramping. It's good to get it checked out ASAP.

Old 01-20-2024, 10:45 AM

7,078 posts, read 4,517,580 times
I had a similar problem a few times in my late 50’s after my period had been gone for years. Each time I had a biopsy and there wasn’t anything wrong so don’t panic.

Old 01-20-2024, 01:08 PM

Thanks to both of you…I’ll try not to panic. Will hope for something optimistic to happen.

Old 01-20-2024, 01:58 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,231,553 times
It could just be fibroids or a cyst.

Could there be any tearing during sex, along with the cramping? If so, could that lead to some blood (even if you don't notice it right away)?

A pap smear only tests cervical cells, it doesn't examine the uterus (much less the ovaries). I would think a doctor would want to do an ultrasound to get a better look at the uterus than a manual exam will reveal. Unfortunately ultrasounds don't always show everything either.

Doctor may want another colonoscopy just to rule that out. Perhaps while you are waiting for your appointment, you can start a 'diary'--when you notice blood, when you feel cramping, how much, your activities, etc. If you can rule out the colon (and other things) then that might speed up a diagnosis.

Old 01-20-2024, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
It could just be fibroids or a cyst.

Could there be any tearing during sex, along with the cramping? If so, could that lead to some blood (even if you don't notice it right away)?

A pap smear only tests cervical cells, it doesn't examine the uterus (much less the ovaries). I would think a doctor would want to do an ultrasound to get a better look at the uterus than a manual exam will reveal. Unfortunately ultrasounds don't always show everything either.

Doctor may want another colonoscopy just to rule that out. Perhaps while you are waiting for your appointment, you can start a 'diary'--when you notice blood, when you feel cramping, how much, your activities, etc. If you can rule out the colon (and other things) then that might speed up a diagnosis.
No sex is happening so I can’t comment on that. I think it’s a good idea to put together a diary. I believe the bleeding is happening after larger bowel movements but can only confirm that happening once.

My appointment can’t happen soon enough, although I’m dreading it at the same time. I’m reading about all these symptoms and suddenly wondering every time if it’s proof of something awful. I’ve got to keep my spirits up somehow.

Old 01-21-2024, 03:04 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post

My appointment can’t happen soon enough, although I’m dreading it at the same time. I’m reading about all these symptoms and suddenly wondering every time if it’s proof of something awful. I’ve got to keep my spirits up somehow.
Stop reading. You can't do anything about anything without a diagnosis and you can't get a diagnosis until diagnostics do their thing. Dr Google can be overwhelming and there's a lot of hyperbolic fearmongering garbage out there posted by people who have no business doing it. Either that or they have an axe to grind. Most likely they aren't doing it because they care about YOU. They're doing it because they want something from you or other people...like validation or money.

Fill the time with activities you enjoy that make you feel good, even if you think they're rather brainless. Sometimes those work the best because they suck time but don't demand a lot of focus. Re-read favorite books, re-watch favorite movies, listen to favorite music, a favorite walk or low intensity recreation with a friend, cook favorite meals, hobbies or handicrafts, etc.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-21-2024 at 03:33 PM..

Old 01-21-2024, 03:45 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
No sex is happening so I can’t comment on that. I think it’s a good idea to put together a diary. I believe the bleeding is happening after larger bowel movements but can only confirm that happening once.

I have been there on other issues I have had.....believe google is not your friend, as far as symptoms. I never go there anymore. I know it is very hard not to worry. I had some bleeding similiar to yours years ago, turns out it was caused by internal hemorrhoids.

Old 01-21-2024, 06:08 PM

482 posts, read 901,701 times
If you are postmenopausal and it is vaginal bleeding your doctor will probably perform an endometrial biopsy.

Endometrial cancer is slow growing and usually caught in its early stage and fully treatable with a total hysterectomy.

Try not to worry at this stage, just go see your doctor.

Old 01-21-2024, 06:39 PM

7,078 posts, read 4,517,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
If you are postmenopausal and it is vaginal bleeding your doctor will probably perform an endometrial biopsy.

Endometrial cancer is slow growing and usually caught in its early stage and fully treatable with a total hysterectomy.

Try not to worry at this stage, just go see your doctor.
Yes that’s what I had and the biopsy is no big deal and done in the doctor’s office. I had it done 3 different times over the course of a few years and each time was negative. Then it never happened again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness