Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 05:40 AM

889 posts, read 775,164 times

Advertisements

What a wonderful update! I hope they can figure out what’s causing the bleeding, but I know you have to be so relieved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2024, 08:08 AM

418 posts, read 818,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
What a wonderful update! I hope they can figure out what’s causing the bleeding, but I know you have to be so relieved.
Yes, I am. I can deal with other procedures or even a hysterectomy because when it’s done it’s done. Cancer is always terrifying and I’d always be wondering if it was there. Cancer is so cruel, I hope science finds a cure for all types of it one day soon.

Old 02-03-2024, 09:47 AM

7,295 posts, read 4,669,911 times
That’s excellent news! I have had a d and c and it’s not a big deal. They never figured out why I was occasionally bleeding but decided if it happened one more time they would do a hysterectomy but it never did. Sometimes our bodies are just weird).

Old 02-03-2024, 09:20 PM

Of course, because I’m an idiot, I’m reading stories of women who were diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and there’s one story where the ultrasound showed normal sized ovaries but when she had a CT scan there was evidence of ovarian cancer throughout her abdomen. And it’s making me wonder whether my “normal” sized ovaries are actually ok, especially since one is bigger than the other (3.2 cm vs 2.4 cm). I know, I know, I’m over-worrying. But to set my mind at ease, I still have some questions for the new doctor I’ve been referred to.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:28 AM

5,467 posts, read 4,097,794 times
As someone who had a D&C for the same reason, I will pass on some wisdom that my (pre-menopausal) female OB-GYN failed to tell me. They will likely catheterize you, this can cause some irritation in that area. Also general pain from the vagina being held open for so long. Get some Vagisil, it is an anesthetic for that region even though it is marketed as anti-itch. Get a small squeeze bottle and rinse with plain water after you pee to reduce irritation. Unless you have a bidet, which would do the same thing.

Old 02-04-2024, 08:24 PM

686 posts, read 730,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
Good news: no cancer, biopsy was negative. I nearly cried when I found out. Such a relief. Ovaries are normal sized too, although it’s weird that one is about a centimeter bigger than the other. But fortunately they didn’t have a 10 cm tumor growing on them, which was my fear. I feel so relieved and even the appetite is returning, so my loss of appetite and the weight loss was due to fear and anxiety.

I do have to have a D&C and hyperoscopy so that the docs can figure out what actually is wrong. My endometrial lining is quite a bit thicker than what it should be for a post menopausal woman, so my doc is referring me to someone else who can get these tests done. They are done under general anesthesia so no pain, but it means someone has to come with me. A friend volunteered to help so I’m set but I hate having to inconvenience anyone.

I’m hoping that these procedures are all that need to be done and no further procedures like a hysterectomy are necessary. But if more needs to happen, I can face it because I will be dealing with something that is most likely not fatal.

Thanks so much for your support, everyone. It has been nice to have a place to share my concerns and fears.

I just had a hystercopy and d&c done about 3 months ago and I was so nervous about the whole thing. It was in the outpatient section of a local hospital. They put me under with general anethesia. The nurse put the iv in my hand (the sticking of the iv hurt ), the dr put the anethesia in it and I was out 10 seconds later. The procedure took about 30 min. They ended up taking a fairly large polyp out of my uterus. They sent it off to see if it was cancer...a week later, they told me it was not cancerous. I was freaking out the whole week. My dr also said my uterine lining was also fairly thick.

I ended up bleeding from that surgery for about 2 weeks...it sucked. Also, I had menstrual like cramps for about 3 days afterwards and I was super tired. The doc said that was normal. Also I had a big bruise on the back of hand from where they stuck me.

My diagnosis was if I continue to have the same symptoms I have been having then he would do a hysterectomy.
Well, I am still having the same problems. I wish he would have just done a hysterectomy. I am done having kids and I want all this to just be done. My sister had one done and she was so relieved.

Have you checked out the hystersisters forum? It has some informative stuff for us females...
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sh...d.php?t=524294

Anyway just wanted to let you know that I know what you are going through!

Old 02-06-2024, 03:23 AM

Thanks beckerd2 and VTsnowbird for sharing your experiences so I’d be prepared. I promised a family member that I would stop Googling illnesses or symptoms but I remain so concerned that more is wrong with me. Yesterday, I woke up feeling horrible and having diarrhea most of the morning. Not the most unusual thing in the world. But I wasn’t hungry nearly all day. I felt better mid-day and ate lunch, then it was 8:30 at night and I still wasn’t hungry. I ate and promptly had diarrhea again. I took two Imodium so I could control the diarrhea during the night. I felt burpy all day, which I have been feeling for 2+ weeks.

I just woke up about 30 minutes ago because it felt like there was all sorts of liquid between my thighs. I raced to the bathroom and yep, I was bleeding. But it was like lots of wetness too, but I didn’t wet my pants. So I’m still very scared. What are all these weird digestive issues and are they really separate from whatever is going on with the bleeding? I find that to be rather coincidental. I no longer think these lack of appetite, nausea, diarrhea burpy symptoms are related to stress or fear. My fear levels dropped after the test results. I asked my OBGYN if there were any signs of ovarian cancer and she responded there was definitely no evidence of it, but that we could do another ultrasound in a few months to make sure nothing has changed.

I have read that ultrasounds don’t always catch ovarian cancer. No, I don’t want ovarian cancer. I just want an understanding of what could possibly be going on with me. I’m not going to Google anything, but I desperately want to talk to this OBGYN I have been referred to and get his thought. Maybe I also need a checkup with my primary care doc to see what kinds of GI issue I may have. I can’t imagine any GI issue would cause vaginal bleeding, which is why I always come back to something horrible like ovca. Maybe the issues aren’t related. But the timing is so suspicious. I’m not someone who constantly goes to the doctor, in fact I try to avoid doctor visits, so this fearful behavior is unusual for me. I know I sound like a nut but I’m so concerned.

Old 02-15-2024, 08:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,261,768 times
Every single other month of my life (actually about every three months) I would have a cyst on an ovary, mittelschmerz, etc. (google it if you don't know it), and diarrhea. It was nothing but a benign cyst, on one ovary, that happened during ovulation. But it did cause symptoms and maybe that's part of your issue as well. After I had the hysterectomy, I was fine all the way around and have been ever since (24 years later). The cyst did cause the ovary to be larger than the other one.

But my mom kept all her girly parts and was also fine. Never had an issue.

Old 02-15-2024, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Every single other month of my life (actually about every three months) I would have a cyst on an ovary, mittelschmerz, etc. (google it if you don't know it), and diarrhea. It was nothing but a benign cyst, on one ovary, that happened during ovulation. But it did cause symptoms and maybe that's part of your issue as well. After I had the hysterectomy, I was fine all the way around and have been ever since (24 years later). The cyst did cause the ovary to be larger than the other one.

But my mom kept all her girly parts and was also fine. Never had an issue.
Thanks for the reassurance. Interestingly, I have an ovarian cyst but it’s in the smaller ovary.

I’m a little less hysterical than I was when I wrote my last entry. My consult for the D&C is next week. I couldn’t get an appointment with my regular PCP so I went to the nurse practitioner for the office just to explore whether there are non-gyno reasons for my bloating/gas, lack of appetite, and inability to eat as much as I used to (which would normally make me jump for joy). She gave me a short-term prescription for Prilosec and said that if it didn’t clear up my GI issues in a couple weeks then she’d order a CT scan.

I’m going to do my best to just listen to what the new OBGYN has to say; hopefully he can convince me I am highly unlikely to have ovca. If he can’t then I’ll do the scan, but I’d still really like to think that once my rational brain hears that I’m being ridiculous then I will go back to normal once my anxiety drops and a scan won’t be needed. But it’s nice to know that I will have the option of a scan if needed.

Old 02-17-2024, 08:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,261,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
Thanks for the reassurance. Interestingly, I have an ovarian cyst but it’s in the smaller ovary.

I’m a little less hysterical than I was when I wrote my last entry. My consult for the D&C is next week. I couldn’t get an appointment with my regular PCP so I went to the nurse practitioner for the office just to explore whether there are non-gyno reasons for my bloating/gas, lack of appetite, and inability to eat as much as I used to (which would normally make me jump for joy). She gave me a short-term prescription for Prilosec and said that if it didn’t clear up my GI issues in a couple weeks then she’d order a CT scan.

I’m going to do my best to just listen to what the new OBGYN has to say; hopefully he can convince me I am highly unlikely to have ovca. If he can’t then I’ll do the scan, but I’d still really like to think that once my rational brain hears that I’m being ridiculous then I will go back to normal once my anxiety drops and a scan won’t be needed. But it’s nice to know that I will have the option of a scan if needed.
I had what they call a "chemical D & C" which basically means I was never put to sleep but I bled like a stuck pig very suddenly for several hours. It was not fun. But I guess it beat the alternative. And then I still had to have a complete hysterectomy. Please keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness