Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 08:35 AM

256 posts, read 122,065 times

Advertisements

This is different from the most common sleep disorders like insomnia and sleep apnea. Like yesterday - woke up at 5am, had coffee and breakfast, went back to bed at around 10am. Got up for a few bathroom breaks, thought about staying up, but nah, I was just too tired. Finally got out of bed at 4am this morning.

This happens 2-3 times a week. The rest of the week I have a normal sleep pattern - it's not like I'm trying to make up for sleep deprivation. Now, I'm worried that this may be a symptom of some serious medical condition.

I'd be interested to know if anybody else has experienced this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2024, 11:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,714 posts, read 81,563,799 times
I would definitely recommend asking about it at your next checkup with the doctor, it could be a medical issue.

My in-laws (wife's sister) are retired, and in their late 60s. Their typical day is one get up at 7am, feeds and puts out the dog, then back to bed. At about 10am they both get up, have breakfast, then go back to bed for a nap. Noonish they get back up and have lunch, watch some TV, and then take an afternoon nap. They do stay up until 10-11pm, but are still getting a good 12-13 hours of sleep a day. They consider this to be normal for them, and in fact brag about it, often saying "we're retired you know." Still that's a lot less than your 18 hours straight. Even the few times I have stayed up all night, my "recovery" sleep was only about 10 hours.

Old 01-19-2024, 01:06 PM

15,018 posts, read 12,228,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would definitely recommend asking about it at your next checkup with the doctor, it could be a medical issue.

My in-laws (wife's sister) are retired, and in their late 60s. Their typical day is one get up at 7am, feeds and puts out the dog, then back to bed. At about 10am they both get up, have breakfast, then go back to bed for a nap. Noonish they get back up and have lunch, watch some TV, and then take an afternoon nap. They do stay up until 10-11pm, but are still getting a good 12-13 hours of sleep a day. They consider this to be normal for them, and in fact brag about it, often saying "we're retired you know." Still that's a lot less than your 18 hours straight. Even the few times I have stayed up all night, my "recovery" sleep was only about 10 hours.
Maybe boredom?

Old 01-19-2024, 01:18 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,090,484 times
Or depression, though the OP didn't mention it. During bad spells of depression or when I don't feel like being alive I go on sleeping marathons. During a rough time I once found myself sleeping for 18+ hours a day. That lasted about a month until I felt better.

I sleep more in the winter months due to reduced daylight hours...pitch black by 4:30 PM screws up my rhythms.

Old 01-19-2024, 02:26 PM

20,436 posts, read 14,752,677 times
Depression is one possibility... But thyroid disease is another. You should see your doctor and get a blood panel done to see if you have thyroid issues or a nutritional deficiency. Thyroid problems...it's one of those things where if you get it found and dealt with, not really a big huge deal, but if you don't then it can potentially even kill you. Seriously, worth getting it checked.

Old 01-19-2024, 03:24 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,338,610 times
Is there a common theme/denominator leading up to those 2 or 3 days? Diet, activities, work, interactions with one or more people that is draining you? I would maybe keep tally of what's going on the days/nights before to see if you can pinpoint anything.

Old 01-19-2024, 04:26 PM

256 posts, read 122,065 times
Thank you all for your replies

It's not depression, and I already take meds for my thyroid disorder (unless it has worsened)....I'm thinking it could be procrastination. I feel overwhelmed by the thousand things I should be attending to. Sleep provides temporary relief. And, the regretful thing is : I know avoidance is not a long-term solution.

I just don't know how to take the necessary steps to do something different.

Old 01-19-2024, 05:36 PM

23,460 posts, read 19,110,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post

It's not depression, and I already take meds for my thyroid disorder (unless it has worsened)....I'm thinking it could be procrastination. I feel overwhelmed by the thousand things I should be attending to. Sleep provides temporary relief. And, the regretful thing is : I know avoidance is not a long-term solution.

Not sure sleep like that is providing relief. If it was, you probably wouldn't remain so exhausted. Sleeping like that may just be temporary escape which isn't quite the same as procrastination. You may not be getting restorative sleep so relief doesn't actually happen. It could be why you're "too tired" despite sleeping the clock around.

As for what steps to take, first, I'd rule out something physical such as sleep apnea, adjustment in meds, etc. Then get a referral for a counselor to help you tease apart and hopefully resolve why you feel overwhelmed and want to escape those "thousand things". There may a common denominator behind your excessive sleep events. Either anticipating something upcoming (hence procrastinating/escaping) or you might be reacting afterwards (emotional exhaustion). There may be a pattern you can't see right now.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-19-2024 at 06:55 PM..

Old 01-20-2024, 03:26 AM

61,965 posts, read 87,594,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post

Yeah, looks like you're hiding from those problems. When you get under the covers, you feel like they cease to exist.
Going back to bed is a way of escaping your feelings or situations in life.

Old 01-20-2024, 10:35 AM

51,040 posts, read 24,537,935 times
When they put me on the statin Lipitor, I began having sleep issues, and it got to the point of sleeping more than 12 hours a day. As soon as I stopped the lipitor I got back to a normal sleep level and routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness