Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 11:52 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

I know retired people who sleep just to pass the time; there's a lot of it to fill when you don't work. Especially if you have a vivid dream life, it can be quite entertaining, better than TV! If I were able to (I suffer from insomnia), I'd probably do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 01:02 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
Sleep is when the brain detoxes and repairs itself. So if a lot of detoxing and repair is needed, you feel like sleeping a lot.

Old 01-20-2024, 06:08 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,193,305 times
To OP: why not get on schedule and go to bed at the same time and wake up at the same time each day?
Use alarm clock and be diligent to get up.

Then you would have more time to address those issues you have to deal with in your life?

Interesting tidbit of information regarding the length of sleep:
Changes in sleep pattern or starting sleeping more than 9 hours when before one slept less than 9 hours may be the earliest symptom of dementia- before the memory loss.

https://www.alzheimersresearchuk.org...sign-dementia/

Old 01-21-2024, 10:21 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
What caused you to go to bad the very first time so early in the morning....I would look for a reason this happened, maybe you can pinpoint something you did.

Old 01-21-2024, 10:51 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Yes, various medical problems like depression, hormone deficiencies, sleep apnea, sinus or lung problems etc can cause excessive sleepiness, but that's usually because you're getting lousy sleep and need some more during the hours you're supposed to be awake....

-but the most common "cause," especially among retired folk, is that you're falling back into a natural sleep pattern now that you're no longer on the clock, needing to fill obligations like work during business hours.

Prior to the electric light and shift work at the factory, people fell asleep soon after sunset, slept for four hours, then woke up for a couple hours before returning to sleep for another few hours until sunrise. Hunters know game is most available at sunrise & sunset...and it's DARK out there in the jungle at night....That hour or three of wakefullness in the middle of the night was used to stoke the fire, guard against interlopers near the cave, and various other, umm-- recreational activities....and without other daytime obligations, a nap or two was always possible.

I have a hypothesis that the changing sleep patterns we experience as we age had survival value for our caveman ancestors and is built into our genes-- there was always someone awake to guard the cave between sunset and sunrise-- teenagers want to sleep from 2AM to noon, old codgers from sunset to 2AM and the child bearing adults were awake during the day.

When we don't allow ourselves to sleep when our body is calling for sleep, then we have an urge to "catch up" at other hours.

Old 01-21-2024, 12:56 PM

256 posts, read 115,262 times
Thanks kind people for your responses

I sure do appreciate your viewpoints and recommendations!

I'm going to look at this from a different angle - Could it be possible I'm the poster child for pure, unadulterated LAZINESS ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness