Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 04:31 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
I just went to my Dr. last Friday for the "wellness exam" and after listing all the things I did in 2023, vaccines, scans etc., I told her I was done for quite a while. She then comes up with "oh, but you haven't had a bone scan in a long time, I'll order one". I left and knew I wouldn't do it. No reason, not taking the medication. I haven't shrunk or had problems.

I think my Dr. has a problem... I refuse to take statins and she is not happy about that, and I know if I took the bone scan, and it showed something she'd no doubt try to strong arm me into taking meds for that.

It gets tiresome.

I’m between doctors, because I don’t want to take all the meds she (my then-doctor) prescribed. They made me feel like a zombie. I wasn’t happy. I wasn’t sad. I just existing. I’m in pain constantly, but I have feelings and emotions now (even though some of that is me cussing at myself for falling apart LOL).

She did some knee injections that cost $6K in deductibles, and the injections didn’t help longer than about 2 weeks. She suggested I get some needles in my back to “deaden” the nerves, but because they keep doing it until they hit the right spot, I said, “Ummm . . . no.” Plus I’m not putting out another 6K for something that might not work.

I also have thyroid and autoimmune issues. I tried to make an appointment with an endocrinologist. They needed a referral, so when my doctor find out, she flipped out. When I said that I was concerned about diabetes (family history), she said that she’s “not concerned about that”. I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired and can’t believe that my thyroid levels being “in range” is the final answer, that only levothyroxine is the only answer.

And so, be ready to look for a new doctor if you don’t want to do what your doctor tells you. I wasn’t going to allow someone to yell at me. I’m sixty-freakin’-three years old.

At this point, I’d just like to be left alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2024, 04:42 PM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Do you have a study showing that that Prolia is "dumping mineral into the bones in the wrong spots"?
All I can say is my wife's bones scan results have improved and she has not experienced any further fractures.!
https://www.nanowerk.com/news2/space/newsid=54635.php
"Current anti-resorptive regimens cannot restore lost structure and improvement of micro-architecture, other than by the closing of resorption pits, has not been documented with BP (bisphosphnate) treatment."

As I said, the measurement of bone density improves much more than than the clinical results (improved fracture risk.)

Aspirin can bring down your fever remarkably fast when you have pneumonia. That doesn't mean you don't have to take the antibiotics too. It's outcomes that count, not changes in lab values.

Old 01-31-2024, 06:33 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,901,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
"Current anti-resorptive regimens cannot restore lost structure and improvement of micro-architecture, other than by the closing of resorption pits, has not been documented with BP (bisphosphnate) treatment."

As I said, the measurement of bone density improves much more than than the clinical results (improved fracture risk.)

Aspirin can bring down your fever remarkably fast when you have pneumonia. That doesn't mean you don't have to take the antibiotics too. It's outcomes that count, not changes in lab values.
Link on CO2 emissions, not Prolia or Osteoporosis!
I trust the FDA far more than some internet Jockey!

Old 02-05-2024, 04:00 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
My Doc wants me to have a bone scan. They do it in their office, so I suppose it's a profit maker?

I've no genetic history or symptoms of bone density issues. No broken bones ever.

Would you have one if you've no intention of taking any meds based on the findings? I've read studies and the meds seems to have little effects on preventing future hip fractures--a small benefit for spinal fractures...

I'm older, but no issues and do quite a bit of cardio and strength training. Definitely not frail, with bird-like bones.

What would you do?

Scan or no scan??

Thanks. I like my Doc a lot, but don't like un-necessary tests.
I'm not trying to be rude. But, why go to your doctor in the first place doctor not follow up with what the Doc orders? Just curious

Old 02-05-2024, 04:21 PM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Link on CO2 emissions, not Prolia or Osteoporosis!
Oh!. Sorry....Here's the right site https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4037878/

Advice about treatment of osteoporosis reminds me of the best advice to answer the question about when is the best time to plant a tree?..Ans-- 20 years ago.

By the time you've got osteoporosis, it's basically too late to treat it. Prevent it by getting enough weight bearing exercise starting early in life and continuing it as you age, and getting enough Ca & Vit D on that same time schedule....As you age, you just can't use the extra Ca & D properly-- That's why you got osteoporotic in the first place.

Old 02-06-2024, 04:05 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,901,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Your "new" Link says that there is a reduction in fracture risk, maybe you ought to re-read!
It stops/slows the degeneration of bone. It is supposed to minimize fracture risk. All I can say is prior to receiving Prolia, she had two bone fractures, since she started which has been several years, she has had none and her bone density tests have improved.

Last edited by GreggT; 02-06-2024 at 04:37 AM..

Old 02-06-2024, 05:07 AM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
I've had two DEXA scans. The first was years ago when I was having trouble with my back and hip. They said I have osteopenia, and that I should add some low weight training and eat more proteins. I also got a cortisone shot in my hip to determine whether or not I was a candidate for hip replacement surgery. If the shot helped, I might be. If I didn't notice immediate improvement (within 24 hours) then probably not. I didn't, so that was that.

Fast forward several years of working retail, I could barely walk. I limped constantly. I was in pain every day, although walking seemed to help /when/ I was able to walk at all. Standing still was not an option. My hip had deteriorated, and now I'm almost bone-on-bone full-bore arthritis in one hip, and severe osteoporosis in the other hip. Degenerative disk disease in my spine which I've had for 30 years has expanded to another disk, and I have osteopenia in pretty much every joint.

I /also/ have Ehlers Danlose Syndrome, a connective tissue disorder, which makes me "double-jointed" and super-flexible. So while I have days when I can't walk, I can still sit in a lotus position very comfortably, and get up from the seated position on the floor with no effort at all.

I've been taking alendronate (generic Fosomax) for just over three years, the doctor says this is my last year taking it. I have no idea if it's done any good or not. I haven't broken any bones, but I might not have broken any without taking it. Hard to prove a negative, it's hard to prove that drug #1 prevented disease Q.

Old 02-06-2024, 05:24 AM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
My Doc wants me to have a bone scan. They do it in their office, so I suppose it's a profit maker?

I've no genetic history or symptoms of bone density issues. No broken bones ever.

Would you have one if you've no intention of taking any meds based on the findings? I've read studies and the meds seems to have little effects on preventing future hip fractures--a small benefit for spinal fractures...

I'm older, but no issues and do quite a bit of cardio and strength training. Definitely not frail, with bird-like bones.

What would you do?

Scan or no scan??

Thanks. I like my Doc a lot, but don't like un-necessary tests.
So exercise that puts significant stresses on your body (e.g. weight-bearing exercise) strengthens not only the muscles, but also the bones that are stressed, so that's good if you do this regularly.

I would get the scan. I think data is good and there is no benefit to being in the dark. That said, when I read the comments in this and other forums on CD I see that my thoughts are very different than the prevailing "skepticism" I will call it of both science and medicine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness