Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 08:15 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisF6 View Post
I wish I had had one before I fell and broke my leg last spring. I might have been a little more careful in my activities. Also, even if I didn't believe in the medicine it at least makes me put extra emphasis on making sure I am getting enough calcium and vitamin D in my diet. And, of course, high impact training and strength training. I already do tons of that but knowing I have osteoporous will help make sure I don't let up on that.
This ^^^. I am a 74 y.o. female. I have been active most all of my life, and had never broken a bone.... UNTIL last year when I had a bicycle accident and smashed my patella (also getting other knee and elbows banged up) I have not had a scan, but I think I will. I don't want to take the meds (my mother-in-law took them, didn't help her and gave her side effects) but at least I will know where I stand with my bones. Now that I have somewhat healed from my accident I have returned to doing long walks and dancing, along with bodyweight exercises. I do take a good bit of calcium and magnesium, but probably need more Vit. D because I don't go out in the sun much anymore.

Anyway, it's a least a good idea to know how strong your bones actually are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 08:25 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,050,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
I progressed rapidly from osteopenia to BAD osteoporosis. I have never fallen or broken a bone but my very practical female primary care physician URGED me strongly to go on medication -- she said she has had female patients fracture their back just from bone deterioration and end up in a wheelchair. That gave me a lot to think about. Anyway -- I now take the PROLIA shot twice a year and walk 10,000 steps a day, do zumba once a week and 2 days a week of strength training. I get bone scans to see that my bones have stabilized from the medication and slightly improved (all this is happening) and I feel fortunate that I get no side effects from Prolia. But if you really examine some of the dire effects on quality of life of severe osteoporosis you might rethink the mediation. Just my point of view -- everyone can make their own decisions.
I know someone who had to have their jaw rebuilt, because of PROLIA, and someone else`s thigh bone broke because of the meds. Pick your posion.

Old 01-09-2024, 11:17 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
You also might need to up your protein. My doctor recommends at least 100-120 grams a day of animal protein.

I did a lot of research after getting my scan. We have osteoclasts and osteoblasts removing old bone and building new bone. If your doctor doesn't do additional testing to see what your body is doing, the meds they prescribe to you could make things worse.

Old 01-09-2024, 11:54 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,379,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
I know someone who had to have their jaw rebuilt, because of PROLIA, and someone else`s thigh bone broke because of the meds. Pick your posion.

I do know that the jaw issue is a side effect. I keep my dentist informed and always have him monitoring my jaw situation. Sorry to hear about the broken thigh bone. These things ARE scary but I had significant deterioration in my spine. I do not want to be in a wheelchair. It's a tough decision for sure.

Old 01-09-2024, 12:54 PM

3,264 posts, read 1,745,602 times
If you think you're smarter than your doctor, then by all means don't have any "unnecessary" testing done. but weigh the cost of testing against any of the possible scenarios this testing might prevent in the near future. Sometimes one can have something hit you out of the blue. I had recently suffered two fractured vertebrae slipping on ice last year, my doctor had me take a bone density test looking for contributing factors, and much to my surprise discovered I had osteoporosis. A woman's disease. Easily prevented in males (or so I'm told.)
I was already in recovery from a severe TBI and this set me back to square one.

Don't second guess a medical professional's opinion. Get a second opinion after diagnosis. You'd most likely save yourself time, money and a fair amount of pain in the long run.

Old 01-09-2024, 12:59 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I've never been offered one, but I would take it when it is.

If my bones are weak I want to know, so I can make diet and exercise adjustments.

The LAST thing I want is a broken bone, especially if I could have to taken action to avoid it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-09-2024, 03:43 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
I'm overdue for a bone scan. I already know I have osteopenia, and I have a history of Cushing's Disease which can cause osteoporosis in later years. My late Mom also had osteoporosis. I have broken one bone already; popped my left humerus off in sort of a freak accident, but no others (I don't really count breaking several metatarsal bones a couple of times simply stepping hard off the stairs). If osteoporosis is diagnosed and medication is prescribed I'll discuss first with my cardiologist - his opinion comes first on any medications.

Old 01-15-2024, 04:55 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,526,537 times
I also have a friend measure me yearly and I haven’t shrunk at all. That’s another reason I am not worried. You have to be careful as you get older because you can end up on too many medications which can end up being detrimental. This tends to happen to older people. I read an article saying that people should try not to be on more than 4 medications. Obviously some people will have no choice but I think it’s wise to look at all your options.

Old 01-15-2024, 04:59 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
A bone scan, every two years, is routine medical care for women. It doesn’t cost anything if you’re on Medicare.

Old 01-15-2024, 05:37 PM

9,117 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A bone scan, every two years, is routine medical care for women. It doesn’t cost anything if you’re on Medicare.

Correction: It is not free.

While there is no direct fee or cost to the recipient, "free" Medicare services are an entitlement program supported by the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness