Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 11:48 AM

36,413 posts, read 16,023,456 times

Advertisements

I've had 1 dexa scan before a rotator cuff surgeon said my bones were soft. Even though calcium and D were normal, I've been taking both of those, surgeon said believe me rather than the scan, I mean he did drill into my shoulder So i'm taking his advice, no meds either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2024, 11:51 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,269,370 times
I get them due to being on a necessary med that can affect bone density. I am not on any bone med at this point but the density is something I want to monitor.

I used to get them periodically (not annually) just to know how my bones were doing; given the above, I now get them yearly. My current docs and I discuss things and the final call is mine; I have not felt strong-armed at all, which I know is a fortunate thing.

Old 01-08-2024, 01:16 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
I've never been pressured to have one but I am now approaching an age when fractures become more common and potentially serious.

I do see some value in getting one as a data point. To establish a "baseline" against which future testing can be compared. It can make me aware of a trend otherwise not detected. Once I know a trend might exist, I can take steps to reverse or stabilize it. Knowledge is power. Knowledge does not commit you to any specific course of action.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-08-2024 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-08-2024, 01:36 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
I had a bone scan a couple of weeks ago; doctor urged it because I have a serious infection. One part of the report says I have osteoperesis, another part says I have the more serious osteoporosis. Probably reasonable, given my age. I see the doc in a few weeks.

Ironically, I tripped and fell for the first time in years just days after the scan. Came down hard on the bad hip. Big bruise, no breaks.

Old 01-09-2024, 04:40 AM

4,838 posts, read 3,264,426 times
I'm pretty sure a bone scan was represented to us as a Medicare 'requirement' when we were taking care of an elderly relative. Is that not the case?

Old 01-09-2024, 04:54 AM

880 posts, read 764,489 times
I do one every other year. I have osteopenia. By making sure I go down a flight of stairs at least ten times a day and doing strength training 4 days a week, my numbers have improved greatly. My mother had osteoporosis and broke several bones including her hip and shoulder when she was in her 80’s. It greatly affected the quality of her life. If I can keep that from happening, I’ll do whatever I can.

Old 01-09-2024, 06:39 AM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times
A couple relevant points--

We all tend to get shorter as we age because the discs between the vertebrae dry out and shrink. A collapsed vertebra can happen, but it's a broken bone essentially, and hurts like a broken bone...

As kids we used to line up every year to mark our growth on the wall....Maybe as old geezers we oughta do the same to mark our yearly shrinkage? I don't think my 94 y/o mother will ever die. She's just gunna finally disappear one of these days.

As pointed out by others above, the treatment once you become osteopenic or the more severe osteoporotic is inadequate...The best treatment is preventive, but you gotta start young-- VERY young. Weight bearing, regular exercise and adequate Ca/Vit D intake-- that means dairy and outdoor activities....

Once your bones have demineralized, you can't improve them or even stabilize them with Ca supplements or prescription drugs, so why get a bone scan except to remind yourself that you shoulda thought about this 40 yrs ago?

Old 01-09-2024, 06:50 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,517,580 times
I had 2 bone scans years ago which showed the beginnings of my bones thinning. I have been walking 4 miles a day for the past 38 years and take vitamin D. I’m not going to worry about it.

Old 01-09-2024, 07:29 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,542,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I'm pretty sure a bone scan was represented to us as a Medicare 'requirement' when we were taking care of an elderly relative. Is that not the case?
Medicare "requirement" ? im on medicare and never had one. never heard the "requirement" before.

Old 01-09-2024, 08:00 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,378,652 times
I progressed rapidly from osteopenia to BAD osteoporosis. I have never fallen or broken a bone but my very practical female primary care physician URGED me strongly to go on medication -- she said she has had female patients fracture their back just from bone deterioration and end up in a wheelchair. That gave me a lot to think about. Anyway -- I now take the PROLIA shot twice a year and walk 10,000 steps a day, do zumba once a week and 2 days a week of strength training. I get bone scans to see that my bones have stabilized from the medication and slightly improved (all this is happening) and I feel fortunate that I get no side effects from Prolia. But if you really examine some of the dire effects on quality of life of severe osteoporosis you might rethink the mediation. Just my point of view -- everyone can make their own decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness