Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 11:53 AM

8,228 posts, read 3,417,117 times

Advertisements

Covid cases have been rising, and there is a new variant. The pro-vaxxers say cases are increasing because too many people have been careless and did not keep up with the boosters.

But some covid vaccines skeptics are saying it's actually because the mRNA vaccines make you MORE vulnerable to covid. They say that most of these cases are among the vaccinated.

Ok, well, yes, most of the cases are probably among the vaccinated, because most people have been vaccinated. But most did not keep up with boosters.

Now, the important question is whether the increase in cases is because of the vaccines, or because of not getting boosters?

Some research suggests that the covid mRNA vaccines increase the level of igg4 antibodies to the covid spike-- these are antibodies that suppress immune response. They tell the immune system this protein is ok don't destroy it. That is the opposite of what they wanted or expected to happen.

Also, covid vaccine skeptics say these vaccines weaken the immune system and make you more vulernable to infections in general. That could be why so many people seem to be getting flu also.

So this is a hard question to find answers to. Mainstream medicine and the drug industry will of course say it's because of not enough vaccines. And the skeptics say the opposite.

What would be needed is research comparing cases per capita for those who got all the shots, vs those who only got some or none.

But there would be a confound, because people who got all the shots are also more likely to be careful and isolate.

Old 01-05-2024, 12:01 PM

722 posts, read 598,028 times
You start with a faulty premise that vaccines prevent infection rather than reduce severity. And then follow with that increasing cases are due to the vaccine, or alternately because of the vaccine, but don't include other reasons -- for example seasonal upticks, variant-based communicability, and so forth which are typical for viruses. In fact this season's uptick is less than earlier years. Funny how people are just so piqued by vaccines. Kind of fun to watch it happen (over and over) though.

Old 01-05-2024, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
You start with a faulty premise that vaccines prevent infection rather than reduce severity. And then follow with that increasing cases are due to the vaccine, or alternately because of the vaccine, but don't include other reasons -- for example seasonal upticks, variant-based communicability, and so forth which are typical for viruses. In fact this season's uptick is less than earlier years. Funny how people are just so piqued by vaccines. Kind of fun to watch it happen (over and over) though.
I SAID no one knows if the increase in cases is because of the vaccines or because of not enough boosters. How did you miss that?

Old 01-05-2024, 12:04 PM

722 posts, read 598,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I SAID no one knows if the increase in cases is because of the vaccines or because of not enough boosters. How did you miss that?
As I said, you've created a menu of only two options.

Old 01-05-2024, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
As I said, you've created a menu of only two options.
My point was they could decide between those two options by comparing those who got all the boosters with those who did not.

Better to count severe cases than just cases.

Old 01-05-2024, 02:43 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Sigh...in terms of Covid vaxxing it's been relatively peaceful around here. Apparently, all good things do come to an end. I guess some just can't resist dangling and taking fresh bait!

Old 01-07-2024, 08:17 AM

547 posts, read 326,792 times
my family had the new covid. it's the weakest one yet. mostly headache, some congestion. doesnt last long - a few days. nothing to sweat

Old 01-07-2024, 08:57 AM

5,706 posts, read 4,278,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
my family had the new covid. it's the weakest one yet. mostly headache, some congestion. doesnt last long - a few days. nothing to sweat

Great, I'm glad you are back and feeling good and can answer my question now

https://www.city-data.com/forum/66255957-post32.html

Old 01-07-2024, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
It might affect different people differently, as did all the other variants.

Some experts say the mRNA vaccines make it worse, others say they make it less severe. Maybe it depends on the person.

Old 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
My point was they could decide between those two options by comparing those who got all the boosters with those who did not.

Better to count severe cases than just cases.
The vaccine immunity benefit, to whatever level is stimulated in any particular person, wears off over time. Naturally, older and immune compromised will see less benefit and less duration from them.

I don't know when the last "boosters" were administered, as they debuted over a year ago, but the new Covid vaccine is not called a booster.

The virus has evolved, hence the need for an updated vaccine. I read recently that Covid hospitalizations were currently around 29K, about double influenza hospitalizations.

Unfortunately this respiratory virus seems like its here to stay, just like the flu.

The notion that the vaccines would cause more people to be hospitalized for covid, or flu, is nonsense IMO.

I didn't get an Omicron booster or the new vaccine, for what that's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness