Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 01:12 PM

1,147 posts, read 861,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
IMHO, a major beneficial outcome of the pandemic is behavioral. More people have been "reminded" that contagious bugs (whether common cold, flu, Covid, RSV, or whatever) do circulate in the general population and that personal/general hygiene can reduce how easily. Masking if sick is now more acceptable in more places than it was before. You can debate how effective masking is 'till the cows come home of course, but just being more aware of your personal health status and the vulnerability of those around you isn't a bad thing.
Exactly true. If one compares this country to some asian countries we are still far behind in attitudes. Some societal norms discourages individualism when it comes to the common good. In Japan, an island nation, their societal norms encourages uniformity in cooperating with each other against natural disasters.

This country encourages individualism which leads to problems when trying to combat a common problem.

Old 01-08-2024, 02:10 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Pro-covid-vaxxers will tell you it would have been much worse if you didn't get all the boosters. But how could they know that?

Covid vax skeptics will say you got it bad because you got all the boosters. But they don't know either.
Hospitals in states such as Washington and California have collected data regarding how many unvaxxed vs. vaxxed are hospitalized for Covid.

Surprise! This is much more prevalent among the unvaxxed. So, either believe the hospitals or somehow come to the conclusion they're lying-your choice.

Old 01-08-2024, 02:21 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Okay you read a few articles on the interweb. I'm pretty certain Fauci has more cred that you or that dude that wrote the article.

The point is this - every major government body has endorsed the vaccine. The government does not "guess" on this science. it relies on all the LEADING scientific evidence. Fauci and his colleagues did not get to their position because of some silly conspiracy nonsense. If the smartest scientists who do it for a LIVING says it's the best solution, I will TRUST the science.

So unless you intend to enroll for 10 yrs of study in the science, I'm pretty sure I won't put too much credence in your intense "unlazy" study of the issue
Very unscientific reply there. Nothing here except appeal to authority.

Fauci is a politician. That's how he "got to where he is."

You have blind faith in the government. Not in science. Your own words make that crystal clear (whether you realize it, or not).

Last edited by tribecavsbrowns; 01-08-2024 at 02:31 PM..

Old 01-08-2024, 02:59 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post

You have blind faith in the government. Not in science. Your own words make that crystal clear (whether you realize it, or not).
Sorry no, absolutely not. The director of the NIH is not a politician. He’s never ran for office in his life.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:02 PM

1,133 posts, read 612,624 times
Quote:

Okay, tell me your wisdom.

How does government work? Do they arbitrarily listen to their favourite scientist guy?

Or do they listen to the head of virology in hospitals and various research facilities?

All this conspiracy nonsense is based on illogical premises and paranoia. No facts.

Is the CDC full of people who don't know what they are doing? Or maybe just maybe they are full of real scientists who have studied all their life in their field?

Explain to my your "blind faith" in government not science logic? Because it's illogical.

Is there some conspiracy for the government to make tons of $$$ off masks or something?

Please enlighten us.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:08 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Despite my overall skepticism of Covid, I do not think people who are sick should be circulating in society at all. People should stay home when sick.
People who are sick still need to go to their doctor's appointment, or pick their children up from school, or buy some Nyquil and a quart of milk, or get the package they ordered at the post office.

And not everyone who is sick is feeling deathly ill. Many might have just one or two symptoms to indicate they're sick at all. Many don't have a home-test for COVID, so they have no idea they're infected with it. Many think it's just a mild seasonal cold, or allergy attack. Many of them only have a mild seasonal cold, and many are just suffering allergy attacks.

If everyone who felt sick, stayed home every single time they felt sick, and stayed home until they no longer felt sick, this entire country would collapse.

Instead, some of us who feel under the weather will do the responsible thing: wear a mask when we leave the house, and reduce/minimize our ventures out into society as appropriate for our lifestyle, job, situation until we feel better (or test negative).

I had COVID a few weeks ago. I felt like crap. I tested positive. I stayed home except to do some grocery shopping, and wore a mask to the supermarket. Three days later my fever broke, I felt much better, and so I considered my self-imposed quarantine completed and carried on as usual. However, three weeks later, I'm still coughing. I'm not contagious, but I'm also not 100% better. There are millions of people in this country who have long-term symptoms of illness after being hit with COVID, thousands who will never NOT have symptoms of illness because of it.

Just because they don't feel perfect doesn't mean they have to isolate for the rest of their lives. It just means they need to be more cognizant of their own situation and act accordingly.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:15 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Despite my overall skepticism of Covid, I do not think people who are sick should be circulating in society at all. People should stay home when sick.
There will always be those who refuse to acknowledge that they might be a disease vector at some point in time. Every workplace and school has one. That can be all it takes. People like this are only thinking of themselves, no one else. In my previous job for example I had a colleague who never ever stayed home when sick. He usually opted to "tough it out". During cold/flu season he'd show up hacking, coughing, sneezing, dripping and blowing, moaning about how ill he was, spewing who knows what all over the office common areas. Sometimes I wondered how much of our annual lost time hours could be traced back to this one person.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:20 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Okay, tell me your wisdom.

How does government work? Do they arbitrarily listen to their favourite scientist guy?

Or do they listen to the head of virology in hospitals and various research facilities?

All this conspiracy nonsense is based on illogical premises and paranoia. No facts.

Is the CDC full of people who don't know what they are doing? Or maybe just maybe they are full of real scientists who have studied all their life in their field?

Explain to my your "blind faith" in government not science logic? Because it's illogical.

Is there some conspiracy for the government to make tons of $$$ off masks or something?

Please enlighten us.
Does government listen to the scientists that will help them advance their agenda (or help them govern, if you want me not to use icky conspiracy-ish language)? Yeah, I think they do. You don't?

Old 01-08-2024, 03:32 PM

1,133 posts, read 612,624 times
Quote:
Does government listen to the scientists that will help them advance their agenda (or help them govern, if you want me not to use icky conspiracy-ish language)? Yeah, I think they do. You don't?
Lol okay gotcha.

NM. Carry on with your conspiracy

Old 01-08-2024, 04:03 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
my family had the new covid. it's the weakest one yet. mostly headache, some congestion. doesnt last long - a few days. nothing to sweat
My boss just got COVID for the third time. Said he was in the ER on New Years day. He was suffering from shortness of breath, dizziness and general malaise. He said he passed out and hit the floor twice when finally his wife took him in. His BP was in stroke out territory (200 over something) and scans on his lungs showed his alveoli were severely impacted. He stayed there a few days but he is out for however long it takes to heal.

I don't know which variant it is but it wasn't mild in his case. Uggh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness