Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 10:43 PM

61,686 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I never stopped masking in public. Knock on wood, haven't come down w/anything in many, many years.
I am not sure about the reasons why I see now more people wearing masks in public - it could be because THEY are sick or PREVENTATIVE measures.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:02 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Everyone who calls it "the science" has no idea what science is. If Fauci or the CDC declared something, that doesn't make it science. Real scientists disagree and debate, but that was not allowed with the covid vaccines.

Most of the people who "trust the science" don't know what science is, and don't know how the covid mRNA vaccines work. Not knowing and not caring and trusting authorities is laziness. If you want to be lazy, or don't have the time or interest, that is fine, but don't call everyone who disagrees anti-science.
I don't think you understand science, and it is certainly not true that the science on covid was not debated (as is proven by your post here).

Old 01-08-2024, 09:18 AM

725 posts, read 599,239 times
Apparently the appetite has waned for more top-level insight on virology and epidemiology from graduates of YouTube University.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:46 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,709,719 times
I'm 70 and vigilante about getting the boosters, had one last October. I just got Covid a few days ago, tested positive yesterday, it is not pleasant. It came on slow with cold symptoms so I thought I had caught a cold. I've felt worse every hour since then. Sneezing, coughing up green phlegm, low grade fever, chills, runny nose. Symptoms come and go, sometimes I don't feel to bad, others, not too good. I don't go out much, mostly to the grocery store or a restaurant now and then, haven't been in a large crowd for a while. I'm surprised I got it and how nasty it is, even after getting the booster.

Old 01-08-2024, 10:37 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
I'm 70 and vigilante about getting the boosters, had one last October. I just got Covid a few days ago, tested positive yesterday, it is not pleasant. It came on slow with cold symptoms so I thought I had caught a cold. I've felt worse every hour since then. Sneezing, coughing up green phlegm, low grade fever, chills, runny nose. Symptoms come and go, sometimes I don't feel to bad, others, not too good. I don't go out much, mostly to the grocery store or a restaurant now and then, haven't been in a large crowd for a while. I'm surprised I got it and how nasty it is, even after getting the booster.
Pro-covid-vaxxers will tell you it would have been much worse if you didn't get all the boosters. But how could they know that?

Covid vax skeptics will say you got it bad because you got all the boosters. But they don't know either.

Old 01-08-2024, 10:39 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
Apparently the appetite has waned for more top-level insight on virology and epidemiology from graduates of YouTube University.
Leading experts on epidemiology and virology and vaccines can be heard on youtube. Too bad you don't take advantage of this valuable resource for information you can't get from the CDC.

Old 01-08-2024, 11:53 AM

1,147 posts, read 861,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Leading experts on epidemiology and virology and vaccines can be heard on youtube. Too bad you don't take advantage of this valuable resource for information you can't get from the CDC.
Leaders of what? They do not hold the mainstream consensus which is why they are on YouTube. The mainstream consensus doesn't have to go to YouTube. Mainstream researchers make their voices heard when they publish scientific articles. Those articles are vetted by many researchers and scientist. They are either adopted or rejected based on the quality and consistency of other research. The rejects go on YouTube bypassing the rigors of scientific scrutiny.

A lot of the questions that you ask are valid questions. Those questions and allegations made about COVID vaccines are taken seriously by scientists because they were first asked by other scientists in the field. Where we depart is the rendering of opinion and conclusions reached that allows people out there to make outrageous, and at the very least inaccurate statements, concerning the vaccine.

What is seen with the mRNA vaccine is not unique. There is nothing new there. The mode of immunization is new but the consequences and immunology is the same as any old vaccine.

This is a new virus and nobody on this earth has the option to opt out of its impact. Taking a vaccine or not does not prevent one from coming into contact with the virus. A person being exposed to the virus repeatedly is the same thing that happens with multiple vaccinations. One isn't just talking about humoral antibody dynamics but cellular immunity is also important. We can't take people who were vaccinated and put them in a bubble to study them to see the vaccine outcome dynamics. They are exposed to the virus just like everybody else. One can not attribute everything experienced in somebody "vaccinated" and bad totally on the vaccine. One is ignoring the mode of pathogenicity inherit in the genetic code that imparts immune evasive attributes. It's a virus that alters human physiology in an effort to thrive and survive.

One needs to take a more mature, thorough and logical approach in handling the problem. When I come here I feel like I am watching a B movie horror drama with minor characters panicking mindlessly not once but at every turn of the plot to the point where one finds relief in seeing the character killed off eventually. It really does get tiring trying to install some form of sanity in people.

Old 01-08-2024, 12:55 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am not sure about the reasons why I see now more people wearing masks in public - it could be because THEY are sick or PREVENTATIVE measures.
IMHO, a major beneficial outcome of the pandemic is behavioral. More people have been "reminded" that contagious bugs (whether common cold, flu, Covid, RSV, or whatever) do circulate in the general population and that personal/general hygiene can reduce how easily. Masking if sick is now more acceptable in more places than it was before. You can debate how effective masking is 'till the cows come home of course, but just being more aware of your personal health status and the vulnerability of those around you isn't a bad thing.

Old 01-08-2024, 01:02 PM

725 posts, read 599,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
Mainstream researchers make their voices heard when they publish scientific articles. Those articles are vetted by many researchers and scientist. They are either adopted or rejected based on the quality and consistency of other research. The rejects go on YouTube bypassing the rigors of scientific scrutiny.
And then there's also the intentional design of YouTube to show you things you want to see, repeatedly, and keep ratcheting it up so you watch more and more. Humans like to think they're on to something, something a little esoteric, secret, insider info. It's like bait to human psychology. YouTube knows how to tickle it, manipulate it. Interestingly, it's a clever business model that profits off both the creators and consumers of content, spoon-feeding people want they want to see.

Old 01-08-2024, 01:10 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
IMHO, a major beneficial outcome of the pandemic is behavioral. More people have been "reminded" that contagious bugs (whether common cold, flu, Covid, RSV, or whatever) do circulate in the general population and that personal/general hygiene can reduce how easily. Masking if sick is now more acceptable in more places than it was before. You can debate how effective masking is 'till the cows come home of course, but just being more aware of your personal health status and the vulnerability of those around you isn't a bad thing.
Despite my overall skepticism of Covid, I do not think people who are sick should be circulating in society at all. People should stay home when sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness