Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,103,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Except for the whole... ya know... diabetes part, which is what it ACTUALLY treats. My A1C and glucose levels are normal now, thanks to Ozempic, after 47 years of fighting the disease.

Also, anyone who believes ANYTHING about fighting obesity or diabetes is "simple" is the simple(minded) one. Ask any doctor, and they'll confirm it's an extremely complex matter. So many factors come into play, both psychological and genetic/physiological. If it was really that easy to solve, nobody would be fat. I'm going to guess you haven't fought obesity? Do you know what the term "food noise" means?
I have to agree with this. ^^^

Have to say that there isn’t anything wrong with a bald man . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 04:41 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,583,256 times
To answer the question...... bald.

When I add a few extra pounds, my depression and unhappiness with myself kicks in.

Old 01-25-2024, 04:53 PM

7,034 posts, read 4,816,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
Only $900? I heard over a thousand.

Anyways, I checked with both my insurance companies, and neither will reimburse any of it, if it's for weight loss.
I was on Ozempic for about three months, strictly for weight loss. It was around $325/month, insurance did not cover. Once a week injection.

I’ve lost 35 pounds, have been off of the drug for 3 months. I have been maintaining the loss, have changed my eating habits. I just needed that kick in the (big) butt to get started. I look and feel better than I have in years, hoping I can continue to maintain.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:42 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Has anyone had trouble getting a prescription for Wegovy for weight loss from their doctors whether covered by insurance or not? (also asking on another thread)

I had hopes of using my health reimbursement account funds before they expire to pay for this, but my doctor doesn't seem to think I'm sufficiently fat with a BMI of almost 30.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:53 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,401,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Has anyone had trouble getting a prescription for Wegovy for weight loss from their doctors whether covered by insurance or not? (also asking on another thread)

I had hopes of using my health reimbursement account funds before they expire to pay for this, but my doctor doesn't seem to think I'm sufficiently fat with a BMI of almost 30.
"Almost" 30...

If you have a BMI of 27-30, with additional weight-related health issues, then you might be eligible. Your doctor is the one who makes that determination, not you.

If your BMI is 30 or higher, then you might be eligible.

On the other hand, if you have certain OTHER conditions, you would not be a candidate for Wegovy, no matter what your BMI was.

You could try and find a different doctor, or you could try losing that weight without it. At 5'0" and 145 pounds (according to your post on the other thread) your BMI is only 28.3. You then backpedaled and posted that maybe you've shrunken since you last measured your height. So let's say you've lost an inch and are only 4'11" now. Your BMI is still only 29.3. That's less than 30.

You want a magic pill (or injection, in this case) to make you lose weight. You are overweight. But if you aren't willing to change your regular diet, and get exercise, and attempt to be HEALTHY before you take the meds, then you will not succeed. All it'll do is put you on a pattern of dependency on injections and give you an excuse to not be healthy.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:39 PM

According to my research (conducted in the past hour or so), you "qualify" with a BMI of 30 OR of 27 with at least one comorbidity, and high cholesterol is one of those. So I "qualify."

I get that you (and apparently my doctor) don't think I should need this; thanks for your opinion -- again.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:09 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,401,655 times
Quote:
According to my research (conducted in the past hour or so), you "qualify" with a BMI of 30 OR of 27 with at least one comorbidity, and high cholesterol is one of those. So I "qualify."

I get that you (and apparently my doctor) don't think I should need this; thanks for your opinion -- again.
And if you have kidney disease, or have recently had kidney stones, you become ineligible (disqualified).

It doesn't matter what anyone on the internet thinks. What matters is what YOUR doctor thinks. As I said - if you don't like what your doctor says, then either find another doctor, or find a different way to lose weight.
Those are your only options because Wegovy is a prescription injectible, so you can't get it without a doctor.

Old 01-27-2024, 09:15 AM

256 posts, read 114,543 times
Well, I've really packed on the pounds since quitting smoking. I went to my doctor and she wrote me a script for Ozempic. I have no idea what my BMI is, we just discussed how much weight I want to lose.

Wondering now, why she didn't prescribe Wegovy?

Old 01-28-2024, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
Well, I've really packed on the pounds since quitting smoking. I went to my doctor and she wrote me a script for Ozempic. I have no idea what my BMI is, we just discussed how much weight I want to lose.

Wondering now, why she didn't prescribe Wegovy?
Do you have Type II diabetes? That's actually what Ozempic is FDA-approved for; not weight loss.

Old 01-28-2024, 10:00 PM

256 posts, read 114,543 times
Quote:
Do you have Type II diabetes? That's actually what Ozempic is FDA-approved for; not weight loss.
No no, this is strictly for weight loss - I'm not diabetic.

She had much praise for the drug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness